Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Ears forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 22:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

(This post is general, not directed at darksinger specifically)

I think at the end of the day, you get what you put into it.  If you come here and want to stay and make friends, you eventually will find them.  Might take a bit of persistence, but what doesn't?   If one comes here wanting to join the teams, shows persistence and works at writing good reviews for several months , demonstrating some knowledge and enthusiasm, eventually that too may be noticed.  Those who come looking for debate and joust will easily find that as well, all part of the fun.  

I have no doubt the same is true at PE.  I came here first and never needed more than one outlet for my available time.  But if I did, I've no doubt I could make friends over there and join in....again, if I showed some persistence and stuck around with a genuine heart. 

Those who are sincere about wanting to be here, and friendly, will do fine.  Even the Grumpies (as Kati calls usSmile) and introverts like myself can make some friends. 

I know this is not supposed to be directed at me specifically, but it is not all on top of the new person to make friends. In general, if people feel "alienated" upon joining a forum, they most likely go elsewhere. Nobody is going to waste their time trying to warm up when the vibe is get lost.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 22:23
"Get lost?"  Guess I never felt that vibe here but if you did, that's unfortunate. 

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 22:30
^And, whatever may have happened in the past, hope you'll stick around and try PA again. 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2015 at 22:57
Internet forums are jungles.  No doubt about it. 

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 06:59
...Where's Dennis !? 

The member I've felt closest to; esp. part his Wytchcrypt compilation is precisely the kind of music I want to hear... 

Logged off since early august. I wouldn't back up his comments and hug him and call him brother, but he didn't need it did he, a spread of words + links would do... How can he not believe in the great things and share part of his stuff regularly, so that chances of us paying attention are bigger.

Edited by jayem - September 22 2015 at 07:54
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 18:55
Once communication begins on P.A. or P.E., it then becomes obvious that an abundance of members respect the hippie movement. I have no respect for that movement and for good cause. I loved the music, but not the environment. I don't respect any kind of movement or one path to follow. When I lived through that movement there was no question in my mind that these people were programmed. People wouldn't ask you if you wanted to take drugs, it was assumed that you would. Communes were revolting. To me personally...they were a lame excuse for sex ..however as they put it..."love ins". There were lame excuses for why people did what they did. Simple as that. A "love in" was suppose to be decided upon as an act of liberation/freedom....in a sense it was, but it lacked glory. I mean what did it have to do with honesty or should I say being honest with yourself. 

Find a religion, try meditation instead of drugs, it was all a scam as far as I am concerned. "Everybody must get stoned"  Why? Did they ever ask themselves why? ...or did they wait until it was too late? Many people in my life ended up in "closed ward" and "padded cell" , being revived by some goon in a white coat holding a needle , ready to inject it into their arm. Was it necessary to end up like this? You can have the hippie environment and sleep in your delusional beliefs that all was good. It wasn't Jimi Hendrix, Blind Owl Wilson, Brian Jones, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison that I felt hate for. They were vulnerable people. I had the hate power for the "hanger on's" who constantly fed them dope and the actual hippie movement which persuaded practically every kid in my age group to indulge in drug taking. The Rock Stars were stupid for not having enough discipline to think for themselves and instead they followed a trend, but these were not 21st century party type people...whose references and preferences are scattered all over the place like that of a moron. Like when a degenerate states that DISCO is good...."It's all good"...."It's all good?" Is that your little 21st century phrase? Is that your 3 little words of acceptance to your "Dance oriented, turntable spinning, sequencing, Rapping, obsessive violence, gang mentality? The hippie generation was a movement. A MOVEMENT. and not individuality of one's own. It was idiot on the brain. It made references to philosophical and religious concepts hundreds of years old and sucked people in. If they could have been rid of the suck, (the larks tongues in aspic part suck), it may have been worthwhile, but instead it drew people in based on rebellion against the Vietnam war and the wrongful cheap , bought and sold politics and the dreadful Richard Nixon on the horizon. It was brilliant musically, but a huge mistake socially for anyone influenced to live their life that way. 
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 22:46
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I don't hang out there.  Do they threads about PA over there sim to this one?  Do they savage us?LOL

Thanks....that produced a few gemsLOL  Just to throw out two...

"You mean other than it's a Prog noob wasteland replete with nonsensical sub-genres and revisionist pap? Not to mention navel gazing that would make even this site blush?..No none at all."

"Steven Wilson doing arm pit farts of ABBA songs would be gushed over as a some stroke of genius."

I believe the second one about Steve Wilson was from Rune Blackwings, which is me. And I will be honest, I tried enjoying my time in PA and I periodically revisit. I was originally drawn to PE by someone in Yahoo message boards. I have been more accepted by the PE crowd overall, despite some of my issues I had at one time. While both PA and PE are clique-ish, as is any message board or much other places, I came from PA with the idea that you actually have to fit into some highly approved group in order to be taken seriously or taken at all. I have felt very alienated here in the past. My comment is related to my impressions from my times here. Maybe it is changed-I was told it was. We'll see.

Hello Darksinger and I quote you here; "Highly approved group in order to be taken seriously"? I can see why some recently joined members might have that perception, but it's not necessary true, not all members here on PA  are serious, i.e. take me for instance, I am proud to be a nincompoop and never take things seriously also I do seem to find humor in places even when it's not necessary appropriate Big smile WinkLOL
Sometimes new people might feel intimidated to comment on forum topics, also sometimes when they do comment they might get not get feedback on that post from other members but this is not snobbish nor personal.
The only time a new member might get negative feedback on here is if they somehow provoked controversy with their outspoken comments (I did my fair share too lol but not intentionally tho'), I personally see nothing wrong by having your own opinion however if you are outspoken by adding negative comments, you also must be able to handle the negative feedback from those who disagree with you. New members shouldn't feel intimidated, I also did feel intimidated in the beginning I must admit even if it last for a very short period but once you get used to posting on here you'll soon realize that it's actually very nice comforting being on here (weird as it sounds). I seen to find humor in most things LOL  Hug   

Edited by Kati - September 22 2015 at 22:49
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2015 at 23:02
A lot easier to read and post at PE. They don't have 700 forums lol
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 00:27
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Bye then, don't let the  door hit you on the arse as you leave. 
What?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 03:55
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

To be honest, I've had far less problems with people on PE than I have on this board over the years.  Though, because of all the horror stories about PE I heard over the years, I only joined there back in 2011 or so.  I got on the forums here back in 2005, when things were quite wilder than they are now.  However, people like Sean Trane, Mickey, Dean and a few others made it worthwhile to stay.

As to cliques......well, I spend most of the past 5 or 6 years over on the Flower Kings Appreciation thread here at PA.  Which was basically a handful of people posting regularly with the occasional drive by.  So that seems pretty cliquish to me.  I'd say both boards have that "issue" (I don't see it as a problem personally, and we at the TFK thread were always welcoming and nice to newcomers, so we never tried to exclude anyone).

Hey, I can't even begin to imagine how these people still burn statues of me on the TFK thread and probazbly threw a few fatwahs at meLOL... I did one appearance quite a few years ago , just to let them know I knew (and didn't give a hootBig smile)

Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

P.E is such a two way street that you have one extreme of people who you'd visualize meeting at a redneck bar in Jersey or a Ted Nugent concert to the other extreme of people who are the most fascinating people on earth to discuss music with....and....that's nature's way of saying F-you and all of your prayers for high expectations. Lol! Some people may have a personal dislike for a specific band and they are brutal....yet they are deeply offended if you are negative about someone you feel is overrated. Let's stop being children and come to a truce regarding the understanding of respect.

Yeah, there are a couple retrograd pro-guns republicans (but strong religious beliefs , no doubtsSleepy), but it's OK, because the political and religious subjects are mostly avoided, so it's not like there is a whole lot of place for them or their opponents (such as yours trulyBig smile) to express those "sujets qui fachent"

And yes, Rutherford is a very average hguitarist, and not that much better a bassistTongueBig smile

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 04:35
^ Rutherford is wicked on bass (Get 'em Out By Friday, Watcher Of The Skies, Firth Of Fifth....) and average on guitar (meaning, he gets the job done). There, I said it.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 04:44
Meh, this forum takes up enough of my time now, let alone bothering with another one!

Besides, that one looks so bland, uninteresting and circa the internet about 15 years ago! I got bored within two minutes!

But it's more that I'm a faithful, committed, one prog site man!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - September 23 2015 at 04:55
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 14:29
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

hence...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 14:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

To be honest, I've had far less problems with people on PE than I have on this board over the years.  Though, because of all the horror stories about PE I heard over the years, I only joined there back in 2011 or so.  I got on the forums here back in 2005, when things were quite wilder than they are now.  However, people like Sean Trane, Mickey, Dean and a few others made it worthwhile to stay.

As to cliques......well, I spend most of the past 5 or 6 years over on the Flower Kings Appreciation thread here at PA.  Which was basically a handful of people posting regularly with the occasional drive by.  So that seems pretty cliquish to me.  I'd say both boards have that "issue" (I don't see it as a problem personally, and we at the TFK thread were always welcoming and nice to newcomers, so we never tried to exclude anyone).

Hey, I can't even begin to imagine how these people still burn statues of me on the TFK thread and probazbly threw a few fatwahs at meLOL... I did one appearance quite a few years ago , just to let them know I knew (and didn't give a hootBig smile)

P.E is such a two way street that you have one extreme of people who you'd visualize meeting at a redneck bar in Jersey or a Ted Nugent concert to the other extreme of people who are the most fascinating people on earth to discuss music with....and....that's nature's way of saying F-you and all of your prayers for high expectations. Lol! Some people may have a personal dislike for a specific band and they are brutal....yet they are deeply offended if you are negative about someone you feel is overrated. Let's stop being children and come to a truce regarding the understanding of respect.

Yeah, there are a couple retrograd pro-guns republicans (but strong religious beliefs , no doubtsSleepy), but it's OK, because the political and religious subjects are mostly avoided, so it's not like there is a whole lot of place for them or their opponents (such as yours trulyBig smile) to express those "sujets qui fachent"

And yes, Rutherford is a very average hguitarist, and not that much better a bassistTongueBig smile

I am one of the "retrograde pro-gun republicans" for the record...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 15:22

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Yes, this a forum where people can express opinions, up to a certain point. There are many extremely knowledgeable members on this site and opinions that don't hold water are easy to shake out. Having so many knowledgeable people in one place is also extremely enjoyable to me, as I pick up something new at least a good portion of the time.

All members can't be experts in genres like krautrock or RIO/Avant, so opinions from people who are is welcome, at least to me.

It is the opinion of P.A. members that I am expressing opinion instead of fact. It is a fact that a majority of P.A. members disagree with the truth because they think it's an opinion and not a fact.
My statement was not meant to be exclusive, Todd. I said that PA was a place that people can express opinions. I never said opinions were exclusive to PA discussions.
I good friend of mine was electrocuted on stage before the advent of the safer wireless age. He survived. My saying that wireless is a good thing is more fact than opinion. Do you agree?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 19:54

Again it's subjective just like how we define prog itself.....
I like the format here better and the fact that there are all kinds of different topics and not just music oriented.
IMO many of the threads there are simply uninteresting.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 20:33

I like how the forums are separated here.

PE does have a few different headers: the main section, the OT section, a general non-prog music/arts forum, and more areas for promotions, announcements, and musicians.

Variety is the spice of life, right?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 21:20

^Yes, this a forum where people can express opinions, up to a certain point. There are many extremely knowledgeable members on this site and opinions that don't hold water are easy to shake out. Having so many knowledgeable people in one place is also extremely enjoyable to me, as I pick up something new at least a good portion of the time.

All members can't be experts in genres like krautrock or RIO/Avant, so opinions from people who are is welcome, at least to me.

It is the opinion of P.A. members that I am expressing opinion instead of fact. It is a fact that a majority of P.A. members disagree with the truth because they think it's an opinion and not a fact.
My statement was not meant to be exclusive, Todd. I said that PA was a place that people can express opinions. I never said opinions were exclusive to PA discussions.
I good friend of mine was electrocuted on stage before the advent of the safer wireless age. He survived. My saying that wireless is a good thing is more fact than opinion. Do you agree?

Yes I agree with that. I don't agree with many opinions on this site. An opinion as such that would express for example that the King Crimson album RED is better musically than their first 4 albums. I wouldn't think of it as better if I did like it. If I disliked the first 4 K.C. albums, I would still have respect for what went into them. I could say for example that I prefer the style on RED more so than the early albums, but I wouldn't arrive to some bogus offensive conclusion that they hadn't reached their peak until RED based on my personal liking for RED. That is mainly how people take their opinion and attach aspects to it in order to defend it or prove that it is better than anyone else's or attempt to make it seem as a fact. 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 21:53
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Again it's subjective just like how we define prog itself.....
I like the format here better and the fact that there are all kinds of different topics and not just music oriented.
IMO many of the threads there are simply uninteresting.

And they are all interesting here?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 22:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

This place needs people like me. Maybe you leave instead LOL
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>