Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProgressive Ears forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:33
PE lacks a thread about PA
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:35
Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

it has one
What?
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:39
my bad. I didn't check.

on another note, PE lacks his holy goatness, myself. That's a good enough reason for me to never hang out there.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Imperial Zeppelin Imperial Zeppelin wrote:

it has one

Yup, it really started as a question of "why is the site down" but when you phrase the title as "Any problems with Progarchives?" you can imagine the responses. I think their thread is similar to the one here, some people are on both, some people prefer the vibe on PE. PA is pretty much broadly accepted as an excellent database resource, people seem to have more of an issue with the forums (go figure huh?)

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - September 11 2015 at 07:44
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 07:50
Originally posted by PESean PESean wrote:

Hey all!

Sean from PE here.  I was searching for some old stuff about PE on Google today and ran across this fresh stuff so I thought I would sign up for the first time and say “Hi”!  I want to thank any and all of you that take the time to frequent PE.  I have always felt it was a good prog two-fer with PA and I am glad many of you agree.  And for those of you that don’t, I can totally understand and I wish you the best regardless!  It amazes me that PE & PA continue to endure these days despite the likes of other social networks like FB, Twitter, etc.  It shows that people still need places to go deep with subjects rather than spit out short little bits like you do on those sorts of sites.  Glad we can still be a part of your lives some 15+ years on even in this social network dominated world. 

-Sean/Founder

Welcome to Hotel Progifornia, Sean Hug

You can check out anytime...Wink

But you can never leaveTongueLOL

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ well.. I"m sure this forum has earned at least some of its nasty remarks.LOL

This site is a roach motel for lovers of limp dick prog LOL

Yup, or else dishonour would strike LOL

Oh, btw: the word for that in PE is symph weenie... LOL

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 08:20
All that I know about Progressive Ears is that a guy I regularly discuss music with on Facebook, he plays drums in a black metal group but his listening habits consist mostly of old King Crimson and Frank Zappa live bootlegs, once posted there and can't stand the community there. In short, he finds the PE clientele to confirm all the worst stereotypes about the prog-rock fan culture.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - September 11 2015 at 13:13
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 09:49
P.E. definitely has a decent amount of Avant -Garde fans that crawl out of the woodwork from time to time. They are truly interesting people. Perhaps some of them are the same individuals right here on P.A.    Just try posting a recommendation thread to 20th century Avant-Garde composers or Chamber Rock...RIO. They are very helpful people with the exciting interest to converse. But it has to be a thread on a subject matter which attracts that interest and so therefore it is socially compartmentalized as oppose to decades ago when our  social environment in the U.S. felt much more open, creating a more common interest in people who knew nothing of Avant-Garde. It's the internet that ruined the possibilities of that ever coming back. That...and the change in life. 

A truly interesting individual with some dead pan humor is Steve F. from Wayside Music. He doesn't like to be showboated , but since earth lacks in the area of sincere people who promote/support Prog Rock/RIO , I feel compelled with ridiculous abundance of pride and gratitude to stress just how important he is to the arts. If it wasn't for Steve going the distance to help these outstanding bands...we may have never heard them over the years..you know?  Some people have said to me..."Well. that's Steve's life and you are over the top". But seriously....he has helped people to hear new music that IS progressive, (if that's what you like), and busted his behind for years to promote it and keep it alive. He is a member of P.E. and his comments are very intelligent, sarcastic, to the point...and hospitable/friendly. Cool person.

I miss Archie Patterson! I wish he would join one of these sites and post threads. He's a very great writer with a down to earth personality. His knowledge on Prog, Electronic...(Berlin period especially), Folk Prog is very vast. He has interviewed many great innovators and he has recommended outstanding music to me for decades. 

P.A. and P.E. are all about compromising with the person you cannot relate to. That's common logic to be obtained for any thread existing on the internet. It becomes extreme ...where people may insult your viewpoint ...however 75 percent of the time their insult is based on a misunderstanding of one's statements who grew up in an era that they did not. Aside from this observation, there are also many members who DID grow up in a certain era that was important and they still don't understand. ...Ah.....because they didn't know and it was innocent. Ignorant but innocent to be that way within themselves. Sometimes when I try to give real insight on the real life of the music industry...a variety of people believe that I exaggerate. For example: I toured theaters booked on the same scale with Steve Hackett. ..and long ago that was. But anyway, so what? Who cares? Let's see what I'm offering as a teaching about the road. I'm stating my experience for musicians who will one day reach that level and maybe one little bit of advice from TODDLER's post will remain in their heads and they won't make bad choices. That's a way of communication revolving around helping people to not make the same mistakes that I did.  But suddenly another poster will reply...."Well..I was on the road for decades too and never once witnessed anything you speak of Todd." This is mere doubt ...however....it is 100 percent possible that during one specific year of the 70's... Jethro Tull and Frank Zappa witnessed the most insane things on the road while Genesis were touring the same exact year and saw nothing of consequence. The road is basically a shifting series of incidents that occur momentarily from country to country or state to state...like someone throwing a hand full of quarters into the air to see where they land. 
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:18
Additionally Progressive Ears has a decent amount of members who enjoy clowning around and I just crack up! You might read a post reply like..."You bonehead , what are you talking about?" Many of the members insult each other ..or as often said in he film "Goodfellows"...breaking balls. But they mostly act like family with each other and it's all in good humor. 

You are not allowed to discuss cults which.. is sad because there are more people on that site who have much more interesting things to say than some of the bogus snobby disagreeable ex-cult members belonging to websites that revolve around the subject itself. Sometimes I read posts from S.R.A. victims and I try to help them with their troubles/triggers. It's based on the knowledge I have from the experience of S.R.A.  I've been thanked gracefully by psychologists running the site, however,,ironically a host of devil worshipers tend to slam the S.R.A. victims with rude statements. Additionally many skeptics slam them , challenging their history to further prove to everyone on the forum that they are telling lies. For some bizarre reason they are determined to convince the entire world that people have never dressed in black hooded cloaks and tortured children walking home through the woods. But in the meantime, the S.R.A. victims are not showboating some half bent theory for attention...   They are merely trying to help each other and instead..they are surrounded by people who don't believe a word they say. You'd be more likely to find the correct person to converse with on this matter from P.E. and sometimes P.A.  Sometimes a website that is set up for a special interest attracts the opposing viewpoint that wastes your time. Sometimes you have to look in the less obvious places.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:20
Steve F is a sweetheart, very dry, he can get very crotchety with anyone who doesn't think illegal downloading has hurt the industry. The releases on Cuneiform are universally of a high quality & poke at the edges of experimentation in rock and jazz. There's also several other industry insiders, particularly on the Avant side who post regularly. Some of the threads ares truly epic such as a 1800 post thread on Cardiacs.
Ian

TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 10:23
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Steve F is a sweetheart, very dry, he can get very crotchety with anyone who doesn't think illegal downloading has hurt the industry. The releases on Cuneiform are universally of a high quality & poke at the edges of experimentation in rock and jazz. There's also several other industry insiders, particularly on the Avant side who post regularly. Some of the threads ares truly epic such as a 1800 post thread on Cardiacs.

Thumbs Up
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 12:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

...*sigh*
Whatever. If you continue to misquote me out of context then I'll promise not to give a flying fart what you think.
You're the one that didn't believe that rock music could be elevated from its pop music perch!
Every time you put these words in my mouth I correct you and still you repeat this drivel (like here). I said no such thing. Just stop it.

And you darn well know how much I care for all of this music ...
Then prove it. Quit being negative about others who are just as passionate about music, stop putting people down and stop confusing opinion with fact.

and desire to see it better handled and taken care of,
By whom?

but this is a generation that doesn't care
I disagree.

... and I don't have to play Jimi in front of trash to show you!
what does that even mean?
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 12:59

Very true! I missed seeing Steve at ProgDay this year, but hope to see him again soon (maybe at the Orion). As to the Avant threads on PE, I have discovered a couple of bands at least through them. That being said, there are also a lot of threads about Yes, Genesis and their ilk, which generally tend to be longer than the ones on more challenging stuff (with the exception of the epic Cardiacs thread).
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 15:13
I pretty much ignore all the Yes and Genesis threads, though they can clutter the place up :)
Ian

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 15:35
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

I miss Archie Patterson! I wish he would join one of these sites and post threads. He's a very great writer with a down to earth personality. His knowledge on Prog, Electronic...(Berlin period especially), Folk Prog is very vast. He has interviewed many great innovators and he has recommended outstanding music to me for decades.

Archie is a genuine asset to the Electronic Music community. Years ago, I used to call him up on his "order phone" and just talk about EM with him. Great guy, who I did see once at Prog Fest 2000 in Los Angeles. The old Eurock catalogs/newsletters were cool.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 16:55
Both are great, but the biggest problem with PE is it's lacking severely in the wobbly goats department. Work that out. Now.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 17:11
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Both are great, but the biggest problem with PE is it's lacking severely in the wobbly goats department. Work that out. Now.

LOLLOLLOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 17:53
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Very true! I missed seeing Steve at ProgDay this year, but hope to see him again soon (maybe at the Orion). As to the Avant threads on PE, I have discovered a couple of bands at least through them. That being said, there are also a lot of threads about Yes, Genesis and their ilk, which generally tend to be longer than the ones on more challenging stuff (with the exception of the epic Cardiacs thread).

I'm glad I was able to meet Steve in person and sit close to him at the Soleil Zeuhl Festival in Paris...

It allowed to meet the charming man (and his even more charming better half)  behind the dry posting on PE
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 18:16
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I'm glad I was able to meet Steve in person and sit close to him at the Soleil Zeuhl Festival in Paris...

It allowed to meet the charming man (and his even more charming better half)  behind the dry posting on PE

Joyce is a sweetheart! I haven't seen her for a while, but I always enjoy her company. Enjoy yourselves at the RIO festival, and spare a kind thought for us who have to stay here.
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 20:18
Yeah, I've met Joyce a few time, lovely lady. 
Ian

progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2015 at 06:28
Never had the pleasure of meeting Joyce, but one of the most memorable conversations I've ever had was with Steve at ProgDay last year. The subject? Richard Thompson and British folk music.

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 12>