Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedELP / King Crimson......Is This True????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 14:17
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Originally posted by Rust Rust wrote:

I wonder if the whole limo incindent with Fripp and Lake helped inspire Fripp to write the lyrics for "Easy Money"?

No, I don't think so, because that that song come out before the limo incident. My understanding was that the limo incident occurred around the time of 1977's Works I (when, according to Greg Lake "you couldn't get arrested for being a member of King Crimson").

And besides, how would the reference to "licking fudge" relate to this experience? Feel free to use your imagination...

The lyrics in that song portray the person making easy money a bad and have many insults that I could see Fripp saying to Lake, I doubt it was aimed at him but I thought it would be funny if it was.

We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
Rust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 14:25
Originally posted by Biggles Biggles wrote:

Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

With all the "Big Ego" musicians in the music industry, I was thinking if some of these "arrogant" musicians join forces for a "supergroup", how it could be?

For example, an "impossible line-up" like:

Ian Anderson-flute and vocals.

Roger Waters -bass and vocals, lyricist.

Sting-vocals, acoustic guitar, bass.

Robert Fripp-guitar and "Frippertronics".

Bill Bruford-drums,

Keith Emerson-keyboards,

Ritchie Blackmore-guitar .

Maybe these musicians couldn`t be in the same rehearsal room together for more than 30 minutes!

Add Paul McCartney to that equation and you've got yourself a time bomb.

Add Rick Wakeman to that equation and you've got yourself an atom bomb.

We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
SlipperFink View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 01:08
LMFBO.

A bunch of pretty good chaps are taking some heavy lumber here at
Prog-Fan-Vault-Fruitkake-Stalker-Central.

Consider this for a moment:

Everybody can be a sh*t if ya catch them at the wrong moment...

And....

If you subject people to enough scrutiny with enough persistancy.....

You will find a wrong moment.

And then you will have something to gossip about.

Wonderful.

Here, let me qualify my opinion.....

I've spent the more than 3 decades working with rock musicians for fun
and profit.

And a certain amount of them became 'rock stars'.

Many who did, got freaky for a while.... and came back to earth sooner
rather than later.

A few got freaky and NEVER came back.

Some never got freaky at all.

Try this before you rush to pass judgement on your musical idols....

Sit in a chair at your local shoe store for 3 or 4 hours and watch how the
general public routinely conduct themselves when given the tiny parcel of
power that the intersection of merchant and consumer greeds afford.

Then magnify this scenario by about 1000 and you've got some indication
of the dynamic that yer average kid in a 'currently hot' rock act is dealing
with every time he steps off the tour bus.

In my estimation.... By and large.... Musicians are among the more noble
groups of persons one can encounter.

I'll say this in closing:

The real wackos at the KC show are NOT ON THE STAGE.

SM.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 23:54

I wonder if the whole limo incindent with Fripp and Lake helped inspire Fripp to write the lyrics for "Easy Money"?

No, I don't think so, because that that song come out before the limo incident. My understanding was that the limo incident occurred around the time of 1977's Works I (when, according to Greg Lake "you couldn't get arrested for being a member of King Crimson").

And besides, how would the reference to "licking fudge" relate to this experience? Feel free to use your imagination...

Actually you're wrong.  It happened in the 90s after the Epitaph boxset was released and they were on a signing tour.

Edited by threefates
THIS IS ELP
Mharo View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 01:11

"In March 1970, Greg Lake left Crimson to combine with Keith Emerson in a new group venture (see YES/ELP family tree). The plot had been hatched in stolen moments on the American tour, when Crimson were supporting The Nice at the Fillmore in San Francisco (for 4 nights: 11-14 December). Fripp`s subsequent suggestion that he might also join was vetoed by Emerson, who was not keen to work with a guitarist. (Jimi Hendrix had expressed interest in ELP too)."

Is it true that hendrix thought about joining ELP?

Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer (HELP)????
SidSmith View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 03:28
Hi there ,

Just on a point of historical accuracy, Three Fates is mixing up two different events.  The limo incident was during ELP's MSG residency in July 1977 when Fripp was living in New York at the time. You can read detailed and contrasting accounts of the limo ride from both of the participants (ie Lake and Fripp) who I interviewed for my book In The Court of King Crimson.

Forgive me for quoting the passge at length...

"In July 1977, Emerson, Lake And Palmer, complete with a full orchestra, pulled into town for three sell-out nights at Madison Square Garden. Although ELP were the complete antithesis both musically and ideologically to Fripp’s new scene, the guitarist nevertheless went along to see the band in action and was able to get backstage before the band went on.

Lake recalls seeing his former bandmate for the first time since leaving Crimson back in 1970 as he made his way to the arena.  "And as I'm walking past this barrier I see Robert and I was shocked.  So I asked him what he was doing there and said to the roadie 'Get him out of the crowd and get him back into the dressing room and look after him'.  So up we go on the stage and we play the show." 

As Lake remembers, after the show the pair agreed to go out to eat.  "So we went off in the limo and we're going down the road and I said to him 'You know Robert, one day we ought to get our guitars out and play together again.  It's been so long since we did that.'  And he said 'I don't think so.'  So I said to the driver ‘Just pull over on the left here', opened the f**king door and told him to leg it.  I said 'Out you go' and I dropped him off.  I thought why was he like that?  It must have been jealousy.  There was ELP selling out three nights at Madison Square Garden and you couldn't get arrested in King Crimson at that time." 

"Not quite accurate," retorts Fripp.  “I went to all three of the MSG shows. I believe I went backstage every evening. After the final show there was a visit to a restaurant for the band and entourage, to which I was invited. Greg was vibrating with various suits and, at the end of the evening, sat me down to talk with him. Greg presented, in strong terms, the idea of a KC69 reformation."

Leaving the restaurant in the limousine with Fripp sat next to the driver and Lake in the back, the pair journeyed to Fripp's home.  Fripp recalls the conversation as the car stopped to let him out. 

Lake asked Fripp what he thought about the proposal of a KC69 reunion.  Fripp avoided a direct answer by asking Lake to give him a call. "So that's it? You want me to call you?" asked Lake.  Fripp replied "You already know my answer."  A perplexed Lake asked "You mean no?", to which Fripp replied: "That's right." 

Lake's limo drove off into the night. It would be several years before the pair met again."

No limos were harmed either during or after the Epitaph signing . 

What happened Greg (and other members of Crimso 69) were ticked off at the New York signing as, due to a misunderstanding, they were made to wait outside while  Fripp addressed the press conference on his own. 

Hope this clarifies the situation.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 03:56

Cheers, Sid!  

Good to get that finally (???) cleared up!

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
SidSmith View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 15:52
Thanks  Trotsky
Sometimes stories have a habit of getting distorted over the passing of the years.  This is not meant as a criticism of Three Fates by the way. These stories get told and retold more so with the advent of the internet. I know for many people on the board the thought of a KC 69 reunion still holds a lot of juice and so I thought it might be useful to clarify some of the politics; ie both Greg and Robert have their own versions of the truth. As do we all.

It may interest some readers on this board to know that a new tape of KC69's appearance at the Fillmore East, 21st November, 1969 has surfaced and is currently being cleaned up and prepared for download on DGMLive.
stanbrook View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 16:17
Fripp is Fripp. Fripp is King Crimson. Without Fripp, no King Crimson. Without King Crimson there will always be Fripp. Meanwhile, does anybody think  the Emerson, Lake & Powell album was better than "Lovebeach"?
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 20:12

Originally posted by SidSmith SidSmith wrote:

Thanks  Trotsky
Sometimes stories have a habit of getting distorted over the passing of the years.  This is not meant as a criticism of Three Fates by the way. These stories get told and retold more so with the advent of the internet. I know for many people on the board the thought of a KC 69 reunion still holds a lot of juice and so I thought it might be useful to clarify some of the politics; ie both Greg and Robert have their own versions of the truth. As do we all.

Evidently Sid.. cause I was going by what Greg told me..

THIS IS ELP
Biggles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 07:49

Actually, Richard Palmer-James wrote the lyrics to that song, so that's irrelevant. Besides which, the LTIA album was released in 1973, when, if Sid Smith's version is right, the limo event took place in 77.

Edited by Biggles
The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Biggles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 07:55

Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

If Robert Fripp did not want Greg Lake in King Crimson, why did he hire a soundalike in John Wetton? This is an observation not a criticism - Red is a good album. UK were also a very good version of ELP. Furthermore, Greg replaced John Wetton very briefly in Asia. 

I don't see Wetton as a Greg Lake sound-a-like at all.

Wetton and Lake are very different vocalists, and have very different artistic styles and personas. A look at their lyrics, for one thing reveals they have very different approaches to composing for music: Greg is more overtly sentimental and relies on the traditional troubador, singer/songwriter confessional style to express himself.

Wetton is much more offbeat, and more of a contemporary type of poet/lyricist with a more ironic approach, less "Lend Me Your Love Tonight"-type of approach. Less of the first-person type of narrative.

He was actually an excellent choice, because he allowed Fripp et al to move beyond the limited (though excellent) artistic range of Lake and compose music that doesn't have to highlight the vocalist as much as the first album did.

I have to correct this again. The lyricists in those cases were in fact two different people, but not the ones you've mentioned. The lyricist during the Greg Lake days was Pete Sinfield, and during the John Wetton days it was Richard Palmer-James.

But as a bass player, Wetton sounds totally different from Lake. I can't even begin to see a similarity.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 07:56

Originally posted by SlipperFink SlipperFink wrote:

LMFBO.

A bunch of pretty good chaps are taking some heavy lumber here at
Prog-Fan-Vault-Fruitkake-Stalker-Central.

Consider this for a moment:

Everybody can be a sh*t if ya catch them at the wrong moment...

And....

If you subject people to enough scrutiny with enough persistancy.....

You will find a wrong moment.

And then you will have something to gossip about.

Wonderful.

Here, let me qualify my opinion.....

I've spent the more than 3 decades working with rock musicians for fun
and profit.

And a certain amount of them became 'rock stars'.

Many who did, got freaky for a while.... and came back to earth sooner
rather than later.

A few got freaky and NEVER came back.

Some never got freaky at all.

Try this before you rush to pass judgement on your musical idols....

Sit in a chair at your local shoe store for 3 or 4 hours and watch how the
general public routinely conduct themselves when given the tiny parcel of
power that the intersection of merchant and consumer greeds afford.

Then magnify this scenario by about 1000 and you've got some indication
of the dynamic that yer average kid in a 'currently hot' rock act is dealing
with every time he steps off the tour bus.

In my estimation.... By and large.... Musicians are among the more noble
groups of persons one can encounter.

I'll say this in closing:

The real wackos at the KC show are NOT ON THE STAGE.

SM.

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so maybe there is some interesting off-topic stuff hee, but generally - ELP/King Crimson......Is This Important???? 

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Guillermo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 13:30
Originally posted by Mharo Mharo wrote:

"In March 1970, Greg Lake left Crimson to combine with Keith Emerson in a new group venture (see YES/ELP family tree). The plot had been hatched in stolen moments on the American tour, when Crimson were supporting The Nice at the Fillmore in San Francisco (for 4 nights: 11-14 December). Fripp`s subsequent suggestion that he might also join was vetoed by Emerson, who was not keen to work with a guitarist. (Jimi Hendrix had expressed interest in ELP too)."

Is it true that hendrix thought about joining ELP?

Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer (HELP)????

You can read the answer in http://www.emersonlakepalmer.com/bio.html  , ELP`s official website:

Several drummers were considered, spoken to, and/or auditioned; among them: Coliseum's Jon Hiseman, Cream's Ginger Baker, and Mitch Mitchell from The Jimi Hendrix Experience. 

It was Mitchell, whom Lake and Emerson believed had the most potential, and though Emerson wanted to keep the project a keyboard-bass-drums trio, there was serious talks to add Jimi Hendrix to the line up. 

"Yeah, that story is indeed true, to some degree." says Lake. "Mitch Mitchell had told Jimi about us and he said he wanted to explore the idea. Even after Mitch was long out of the picture and we had already settled on Carl, talk about working with Jimi continued. We were supposed to get together and jam with him around August or September of 1970, but he died before we could put it together." 

The rumors of the potential band with Hendrix did leak out to the British music press, who began running articles saying the band would be called "Hendrix, Emerson, Lake & Palmer" or HELP, for short. 

Edited by Guillermo
Avatar: Photo of Solar Eclipse, Mexico City, July 1991. A great experience to see. Maybe once in a lifetime.
Charles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2006 at 15:34

A shame... I also through a old friend whom I have not seen in years, have met and spoken to Robert Fripp on many of occasions, and he was much more pleasent, than the stories being reitterated here...

It is is one of the many reasons why he hates dwelling on the past, because of the countless questions that he is constantly bombarded with about King Crimson and their offshoots/influences...

I was quite fortunate that he answered some questions and even some that I did not even know were issues, and he always seemed like a genuine guy to be around...

As for Greg Lake and John Wetton... Greg Lake had one of the best technical voices of anyone from the BRITISH symphonic era, and of the three in ELP, he was not a certifiable "virtuoso", but yet he like Mike Rutherford were excellent bassists...

John Wetton's vocals were perfect for that incarnation of King Crimson, and as a bassist was far more authoritive and imaginative than Grege Lake...

Charles

G'day
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 00:57
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Actually its only partially true. They weren't at a concert.. this happened after the entire original lineup was at Tower Records doing a signing when the "Epitaph" compilation was released.  In the limo on the way back to the hotel Greg asked Fripp what he thought about the original KC doing a reunion show.  He did not ask to rejoin KC, but wanted to get the original members together for a show. Fripp said something rude as usual.. something like "I'm not going back there"  and Greg had the limo stop and he asked Fripp to get out... It wasn't because Fripp didn't want to do it, but because he was rude in his response.

And still there's people who vote for the arrogant Robert Fripp´as a role model

People say he's a genius....I believe he's good, but not the genius people believes and much less the genius he believes he is.

The guy has treated fans, press and ex Crimson members as crap.

Iván

EDIT: I also read somewhere that Fripp had despective comments about an ELP or Greg Lake cocert, something that wouldn't be strange comming from him.

Have anybody heard about this?

Edited by ivan_2068

Jmoog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 11:42
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

Actually its only partially true. They weren't at a concert.. this happened after the entire original lineup was at Tower Records doing a signing when the "Epitaph" compilation was released.  In the limo on the way back to the hotel Greg asked Fripp what he thought about the original KC doing a reunion show.  He did not ask to rejoin KC, but wanted to get the original members together for a show. Fripp said something rude as usual.. something like "I'm not going back there"  and Greg had the limo stop and he asked Fripp to get out... It wasn't because Fripp didn't want to do it, but because he was rude in his response.

Fripp's a total arrogant dickhead and the most overated guitarist EVER

I will agree with Fripp being totally arrogant but there is no way that anyone could call him an "overated guitarist".

I Adore Mellotrons
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 13:40

Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

As for Greg Lake and John Wetton... Greg Lake had one of the best technical voices of anyone from the BRITISH symphonic era, and of the three in ELP, he was not a certifiable "virtuoso", but yet he like Mike Rutherford were excellent bassists...

John Wetton's vocals were perfect for that incarnation of King Crimson, and as a bassist was far more authoritive and imaginative than Grege Lake...

Charles

I totally agree with you in both respects. Anyway, I think that in ELP Lake was far more important as a vocalist than as a bassist. His virtuosity was in the way he sang more than in the way he played bass - which was rather difficult to hear amid the racket (I say it in an affectionate way!) made by Emerson and Palmer. In KC, however, you can hear much more of Lake's bass playing, and I think the synergy he had with Mike Giles was quite amazing.

On the other hand, it's true that Wetton was by far the better bassist of the two - as a matter of fact, one of the best of the whole prog scene. In both KC and UK he played very complex music, in which the bass was fundamental - with Bill Bruford as a drummer, no less! However, as everyone in PA knows by now , I think his vocal skills were rather weak when he joined KC. He got much better with time, but Lake is something else entirely.

Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 03:46
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

And still there's people who vote for the arrogant Robert Fripp´as a role model

People say he's a genius....I believe he's good, but not the genius people believes and much less the genius he believes he is.

The guy has treated fans, press and ex Crimson members as crap.

Iván

EDIT: I also read somewhere that Fripp had despective comments about an ELP or Greg Lake cocert, something that wouldn't be strange comming from him.

Have anybody heard about this?

Ivan,

At last we agree on something. To quote Steve Wilson in a recent interview ''King Crimson's output is patchy but I do like Red'....

iT BAFFLES ME WHY PEOPLE RATE FRIPP SO HIGHLY AS A GUITARIST He is certainly a very weak composer!!!!!

Edited by Progger
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 19:04
Originally posted by Progger Progger wrote:

Ivan,

At last we agree on something. To quote Steve Wilson in a recent interview ''King Crimson's output is patchy but I do like Red'....

iT BAFFLES ME WHY PEOPLE RATE FRIPP SO HIGHLY AS A GUITARIST He is certainly a very weak composer!!!!!

Don't understand why this agreement, because you're stating different things.

Never said anything about King Crimson's stuff, at least the debut album and Red are among my favorites.

I never said either that Fripp is overrated and much less he's a weak songwritter.

First talked about his personal character and then I said I believe  he's not the genius some people believes he is (And even less than he beleives he is) which is very different, but any guy who writes something as beautiful as Starless is not a weak composer in my book.

The word overrated is surely overrated.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>