This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic QF #4 - Octopus v. Storia di Minuto
    Posted: September 19 2015 at 18:40
I love all the 'Vertigo' years GG lps but i must go with my emotions and sentimentality and choose PFMHug

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 07:47
if it had to go.. at least it wasn't to a f**king Supertramp album LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2015 at 07:45
PFM's debut was one of my first prog albums, and seeing them perform Impressioni di settembre at NEARfest 2009 almost brought me to tears. Really sorry to see them go, though Octopus is a more than worthy opponent.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 16:00
Octopus
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 11:11
wow

absolutely love both of these

need to listen again before voting
Prog On!
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 06:09
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

some of the GG comments really do amaze me... there was a very definite difference in their sound from early to late and Octopus was the transition point iMO.  Not as cold and lifeless as later albums were.. but definitely not full of the beauty and atmosphere the earlier ones did.

Well, yes, I prefer Acquiring The Taste and Three Friends, indeed because of more beauty and atmosphere, but Octopus is still a very enjoyable album, and IMHO a peak in their career, because it is a very adventurous album and their most eclectic.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2015 at 03:13
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Storia's lyrics are terrible and vocals are lightweight in the extreme
They are? I'm thankful to simply hear beautiful words in a language I don't understand - and what's wrong with the vocals? 

Terrible was probably me being annoyed at the lack of effort rather than necessarily the result. The vocals are really light on the touch, to a fault I think - the next couple of PFM albums were a lot stronger in that department but up against this...

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Italian lyrics translated in English generally sound terrible (which is true for a lot of translations), and Mogol (the author of said lyrics, and Italy's foremost pop lyricist for quite a long time) could often be cheesy. Other RPI bands had far better lyrics than the ones on Storia (Banco and Jumbo come to mind). That being said, I don't listen to prog because of the lyrics. If I like them, it's a bonus, but if I don't, there's still the music - and I happen to be a big fan of instrumental music.

Yeah, I can only really understand Italian lyrics when sung slowly in harmonies LOL which is very convenient here. My Italian's not great (I've read some Dante and bits of academic stuff but listening is not my strong suit) - I tend to like Banco and Le Orme's lyrics a bit more because they seem to be aspiring to do something with them. I kind of feel that if you're not going to bother with the lyrics you may as well go the Magma route, I can't really just ignore them the way a lot of prog fans do.
symphonicman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 23:45

Premiata Forneria Marconi, Storia di un minuto.

Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 19:30
$6.99 on Amazon?! I might just have to do that ...

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 19:27
then you ought to be in lust with this one.. LOL I always thought Per un Amico nailed the beauty aspect.. but lacked a bit of testacles..  as I noted in the first post.  I actually fractured my hand once air drumming to this album. I rank that 3rd of their classic 3.  A little bland for my tastes.. this one and L'isola di Niente packed some serious muscle as well as tickling the heart...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 19:11

Do listen to that PFM album..  it likely won't change your vote now... but in a couple years of growing and loving it.. it just might for the next tournmant in 2025 hahah

It's on the list! I love Per un Amico

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - September 14 2015 at 19:12

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 19:02
Originally posted by progrockdeepcuts progrockdeepcuts wrote:

Terrific GG album and the one record that made me realize prog was bigger than those five bands we all know and love. I've never heard the PFM, so I'll hold off voting.

some of the GG comments really do amaze me... there was a very definite difference in their sound from early to late and Octopus was the transition point iMO.  Not as cold and lifeless as later albums were.. but definitely not full of the beauty and atmosphere the earlier ones did.

I agree, but to me Octopus is the 'last great' GG album. I do like In a Glass House, but it lacks the atmosphere I loved so much about the first 4, particularly Acquiring the Taste.

yep...  I would count Schooldays from Three Friends to be one my my top 20 songs of all time.. and once you cut out the Pat Benatar and Willie Nelson songs LOL that would make it a top 10 alltime prog rock track. Absolutely mezmoring in its beauty and how the music breathed and flowed.. something GG completely forgot later.

As a album.. oh yeah... Acquiring the Taste all the way. Again.. the perfect mix of technicality and beauty. Something so few bands really can do well.. and speaking of one that did...

Do listen to that PFM album..  it likely won't change your vote now... but in a couple years of growing and loving it.. it just might for the next tournmant in 2025 hahah
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 18:58
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

well done forumites...  we all know GG was going to win this. But the PFM album is as good .. even better IMO.. we can't make you see it or even listen to it as the 20 odd anonymous voters likely did not the first day LOL.. but at least it is respectable which make me happy. It didn't deserve to get slaughtered hahaha. Clap

Yea to that my fine fellow. Clap  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 18:48
Terrific GG album and the one record that made me realize prog was bigger than those five bands we all know and love. I've never heard the PFM, so I'll hold off voting.

I agree, but to me Octopus is the 'last great' GG album. I do like In a Glass House, but it lacks the atmosphere I loved so much about the first 4, particularly Acquiring the Taste.

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - September 14 2015 at 18:51

t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 18:31

well done forumites...  we all know GG was going to win this. But the PFM album is as good .. even better IMO.. we can't make you see it or even listen to it as the 20 odd anonymous voters likely did not the first day LOL.. but at least it is respectable which make me happy. It didn't deserve to get slaughtered hahaha. Clap

Yea to that my fine fellow. Clap  
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 16:18

Edited by micky - September 14 2015 at 16:19
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 06:21
PFM, I've always found GG's music to be rather cold and lifeless.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 04:39
Love both but my heart says PFM.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 04:03
PFM's best albums were the ones after the debut IMHO, though the debut is certainly good.
GG were at a peak with Octopus, so GG it is.
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 02:05
PFM for me too
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>