Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tool
    Posted: September 13 2015 at 03:43
I am a big fan and I wanna know your guys opinion on them
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 05:46
I don't like them much.  Too dark, gloomy and repetitive.  IMHO not prog or at least only marginally so, but your mileage may vary.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

zvinki View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 08:24
My favourite band for the last decade. Can't say why I like them so much but after l listen to such songs as Push It I am left emotionally tired. Their music involves me completely. And I don't find them repetitive although they use repetition to create a mood but all the instruments vary throughout the songs.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 09:18
When I heard they were influenced by King Crimson I felt I had to check them out, I was more than a little let down. I tried several times to give them a chance to catch my ear but there really wasn't any of their albums that resonated with me. Pass.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 10:06
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

When I heard they were influenced by King Crimson I felt I had to check them out, I was more than a little let down. I tried several times to give them a chance to catch my ear but there really wasn't any of their albums that resonated with me. 

Wow!!! exactly my experience. I know they are really good musicians, but I just can't relate to their music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 10:28
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

When I heard they were influenced by King Crimson I felt I had to check them out, I was more than a little let down. I tried several times to give them a chance to catch my ear but there really wasn't any of their albums that resonated with me. 

Wow!!! exactly my experience. I know they are really good musicians, but I just can't relate to their music.

My experience too.  Their musicianship is respectable beyond doubt, but their music just doesn't speak to me.  Sure, they single-handedly created a new genre (which was unfortunately named for another, only marginally related genre by the press), and that commands my respect, but it is a genre which I just can't get into.

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 10:57

When I heard they were influenced by King Crimson I felt I had to check them out, I was more than a little let down. I tried several times to give them a chance to catch my ear but there really wasn't any of their albums that resonated with me. Pass.
Just like me. Thanks a lot. Clap
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 11:04
I love them, in small doses. Too dark and angry for a steady diet. That said, "Hooker with a Penis". Is one of THE best angry songs out there.
More heavy prog, please!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 12:31
As Horizons once noted in a similar poll I posted last year "They're too samey". LOL I agree though.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 12:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As Horizons once noted in a similar poll I posted last year "They're too samey". LOL I agree though.

What this guy said.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 13:01
Tool are a very good and at times great hard rock band with progressive leanings. IMO, they peaked with Lateralus. They really take their time getting a new album out, so we'll have to wait to learn whether or not the new album will recapture their former glory after the very uneven 10,000 Days (which still has some great material on it). Tool does boast one of the best rhythm sections in mainstream music, and the Starless-Red-era Crimson influence is very apparent.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 13:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Tool are a very good and at times great hard rock band with progressive leanings.

Progressive leanings, yes, but not more.  They are IMHO less prog than The Mars Volta or Muse.  Or Iron Maiden.

And as I said, musicianship commanding my respect, despite me not liking their music.

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 14:04
Tool's drummer is one of the best. Their music is not weird or dark enough for me to delve into too often. They do have some amazing melodies/sections at times.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 14:08
^Yes, Carey is pretty darn good along with that bass player fellow whose name escapes me. Embarrassed
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 18:59
They sound too heavily rehearsed to me, which is why I think they take so long between albums.  Too repetitive in the types of songs they play, which would not be so much of a problem to my ears if the songs themselves were not also repetitive.  The only album of theirs I have is Lateralus, and I think it has twice as many songs as it needs to since they do each song virtually twice, and each of the songs are twice as long as they need to be.  Repetition squared, if you will.  Thus, it gets old fast.  I do not hear much flexibility in what they play, but they are clearly good musicians
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 21:45
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^Yes, Carey is pretty darn good along with that bass player fellow whose name escapes me. Embarrassed
Justin Chancellor is a superb bassist. Their first three albums up to Lateralus were very good, in the case of Lateralus great, but I've lost interest since. Like much of the music since 2000, the presentation is just so damn dreary and dark. Jesus Christ, you're making millions, could you at least try and be happy for once?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 22:06
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Jesus Christ, you're making millions, could you at least try and be happy for once?

LOL

That's what I used to think about a lot of 'alternative' music from the '90s..."You millionaires sure like to whine a lot"

Magma America Great Make Again
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2015 at 22:17
I have only heard (and have) Lateralus, because it had such great ratings and so. I do enjoy the album a lot, but it seems to be lacking something to make it really special for me. I liked much better an album I got a little while earlier, Devin Townsend's "Terria". Not really sure if I'll be wanting to get any more Tool albums, actually.

Edited by Dellinger - September 13 2015 at 22:19
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 17:57
I love them. I don't love that they've thrown away the past decade with no new music, but it's their time to waste I guess. They're the only metal-ish band I like. I appreciate the dynamic nature of their music and lack of over the top guitar solos you usually find in metal. They're like the Genesis of metal in a way - amazing talent and an equal amount of taste to match. I'm always surprised to hear prog fans knock them. Tool employ all the same tricks that I love about the classic bands, and they have quite a few tricks of their own.
Faultlinespine View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2015 at 20:21
Yeah I wish Tool would release something new. This aussie band have a bit of a Tool vibe about them

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>