Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElements from Netherlands for NEO PROG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 19:53
I wasn't around 'back in the day', so I can't personally confirm or refute the first couple of paragraphs of Micky's post above...but based on what he has said in paragraphs three and four, which is absolutely spot on, I certainly believe every word of it.

I think this sums up the degree to which PA has gone down the toilet in a nutshell. On 17 April 2017 at 18:09, site owner M@X posted in the 'Report bugs here' part of the forum that he'd fixed an annoying forum search error that we'd had for several days whereby only a handful of the search results were actually displayed, with the message 'Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005' being returned, plus the details of where in the script the error had occurred.

He hadn't logged into the site for ages before this, and he MUST have seen all the posts dotted around the place about the captchas and access denied problems that we've been having, and doubtless would have had a great pile of personal messages about this farcical situation to wade through too...but has he done anything to fix it? - Has he Hell. Disapprove

When the site owner himself doesn't seem to give two hoots about the maintenance and functionality of the site, is it any surprise that so many other long standing members who played such an important part in getting it up and running back in those early days have lost interest? I don't think so.

There are still a few here who care, thank goodness - and who soldier on regardless - but the number is dwindling all the time, and unless something happens soon to reverse this sad decline...something which has to begin with M@X himself, then yes - the site will eventually be as good as dead.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2017 at 21:50
A lot said here that echoes sentiments I've had for a few years.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 01:42
I dunno. I recognise some of the sentiments and frustrations voiced here but I cannot in all honesty say that I share them or in some cases, even agree with them.

At this moment I sit here wondering whether I have enough resilience to keep fighting the CAPTCHAs for another 18 days just to make it to my tenth anniversary, I have a lot of patience in most circumstances but it's not limitless. Like with so many things about this site, it seems so indiscriminate and arbitrary with no rhyme or reason behind it. One of my first band suggestions here all those years ago was about as Prog as it gets yet got consigned to Prog Related because it sounded too new-agey and the production wasn't very good... and from that moment on I realised that this place isn't quite how I imagined it would be or should be and that view has continued ever since, even during my tenure as a Team Leader and as an Admin. My most recent suggestion was an artist I didn't think was particularly Prog but was being promoted as such by their record label and in the music press, they were added to the site without any further acknowledgement or feedback. My view of this site is not a jaded one, it's merely an acceptance of how things are, despite all the changes that have happened since its inception both in the site itself and how it is managed, operated and used but also in the music industry and the world in general.

[To date, the albums of both those artists have not received a single review, so for a site that is extensively and primarily a review site I do kinda wonder what the point of it all is. Of course it could be argued that I could have written reviews for those albums myself but I'm not a reviewer, I don't like writing reviews and - as strange as this may seem to people who do these things as a matter of course - I struggle to be subjective about anything, least of all about music (read the few reviews I've written - there's barely a subjective opinion in any of them).]

The point I'm attempting to make is: whatever anyone thinks this site is for or about the reality can never meet that expectation. That's not to say the site isn't any of those things that people believe it should be, or that is isn't capable of being used how you would like it to be used - it's just not geared to be that thing specifically, nor can it ever be. And that means whatever your view is or your expectations are then this site can only disappoint.

What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 02:45
Members want more of PA.
Members want less captchas.
Members wishes post-punk bands included.
Members want to add bands themselves so as to get things done quicker but hate it when they come across artists already here who 'most definitely aren't prog'.
Members want half stars.
Members want a job but don't want to perform it.
Members feel they are being overlooked when their suggestions aren't noticed, so they naturally make more.
Members care about PA until they don't get what they want.
Members do not know who's site they're using.
Collabs do not know who they are working for.
Every PA collab walks around behind the scenes smirking and grinning because he or she loves the majestic power of cutting other people and their music tastes off. We love that sh*t.

Do I still use the site despite of this? Yes. Can I think of some new fancy solution to get folks their 'old days' back? No. The old days were never the way they are portrayed today.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 02:58
Another thing:
Some members tend to live in the new suggestions area. Their overall experience of PA relies on band suggestions. They only visit PA for this. When the band finally gets through the door they forget about them or conversely promote them viciously.
I am not saying that we don't need promoters but how about joining in on other discussions before PA is turned into a promotional vehicle?
What I don't understand though is when long standing members like Omid decide to ditch all the interesting parts of PA in favour of focusing solely on suggesting new bands.
Sorry Omid but I miss your presence in the other threads. You act as if PA has plotted against you and that is about as far from the truth as you can get.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 03:25
Forgive me a volunteer but will try to pick new candidates up asap, and let me have a enough consideration. Handshake
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 07:14
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hmmm.....heartfelt and honest.. so I'll return the favor.

don't take it personally... being 'ignored'.... it is not personal and I'm sure you're adult enough to realize it. 
Hi 
Of Course its not personally. I talking about "Guys like me" not only myself.  Thanks Thumbs Up
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 08:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Some members tend to live in the new suggestions area. Their overall experience of PA relies on band suggestions. They only visit PA for this. When the band finally gets through the door they forget about them or conversely promote them viciously.
I am not saying that we don't need promoters but how about joining in on other discussions before PA is turned into a promotional vehicle? 

But isn't the new suggestions area the core of what the site is all about? Ermm It's called progARCHIVES, and its aim is to be "the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource", which to me means trying to make sure that as many of the acts out there as possible that are considered to be 'prog' are evaluated, and subsequently included in the database here if deemed appropriate. Surely everything else that the site offers follows on from that...if a band or artist ain't here in the first place then nobody can review their music, or even read anything about them and the kind of music they play to begin with.

Of course, with so many prog acts springing up over the years since the genre was first recognised, a significant number of these bands and artists will never get a single review or rating after being added here -that's just 'par for the course' - but we do need to have them in the archives to begin with wherever possible, so that at least people can find them here and read about them. As I said in an earlier post, the site as it currently is set up simply can't cope with the volume of new music that is being created, and which is tagged as 'prog'. It either needs an overhaul in its objectives (ie to be the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource), or an overhaul in the way it is set up to deal with the ever increasing flood of new suggestions more satisfactorily than is occurring at present.

Just my twopenn'orth. Embarrassed

Edited by yam yam - April 25 2017 at 08:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 10:40
I agree with a lot of what you mention Dave don't worry, I just feel a reality check is in order from time to time. We've been through this so many times before and there is sadly no "easy fix". Whatever kind of scenario folks care to throw at PA, chances are, they've been discussed before. There are no good shortcuts to a new and improved way of adding artists to PA without something magical happening from Max.
In the meantime I would refrain from suggesting new bands before my old suggestions have been picked up - is all.

PA is a lot of different things to different people and I sincerely hope it stays that way. To most I know it's about reviews.

- Douglas Adams
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 10:44
Honesty, I participate less in the threads, some people are too aggressive.

But I daily check the bands suggested to Symphonic and we try to add or reject them in les than 48 hours.

We can afford this luxury, because we don't have many suggestions lately.

The questions are

- Do I enjoy the forum less?  Yes, much less

- Do I still think after 12 years here that PA is the best Prog site? Yes, with all my heart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 10:48

Another thing:
What I don't understand though is when long standing members like Omid decide to ditch all the interesting parts of PA in favour of focusing solely on suggesting new bands.
Sorry Omid but I miss your presence in the other threads. You act as if PA has plotted against you and that is about as far from the truth as you can get.

What I don't understand is people who make life impossible, insisting every day that we should add a determined band.

Sometimes we accept them, and we ask for help with the info...Immediately the guy who insisted vanishes in thin air.

There's a recent case, we've been suggested a band called MELODY with one song sample.

We ask for more and the guy said there's no more.

How can anybody suggest a band based in one song? What's the point to add a band who's album nobody can get? (If several thousand of Prog fans can't get it, nobody can).

People who suggest, should add a bio and at least send a link to their music.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 25 2017 at 10:50

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 11:17

PA is a lot of different things to different people and I sincerely hope it stays that way. To most I know it's about reviews.

Agree entirely...and I would love to be able to write reviews myself. However, our personal interpretation of music is such a subjective thing that I find it difficult to put what I hear succinctly into words in such a way that it might provide some objective information which others reading the review might find useful, so I don't do it (this is also out of respect for the artists concerned, who are far more gifted and creative than myself - a person who is unable to string more than a few dozen notes together in the correct order on the piano, and thus has no real right to criticise their work at all lol!)

I'm good at digging out hard to find info on the web, and that's about the limit of my 'talent' - hence I tend to limit my activities to the new suggestions forum. LOL
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 12:13
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

There's a recent case, we've been suggested a band called MELODY with one song sample.

How can anybody suggest a band based in one song? What's the point to add a band who's album nobody can get? (If several thousand of Prog fans can't get it, nobody can).

Are we talking about this 'Melody' Iván?

They also did a second album called 'Yesterlife' in 1977: https://www.discogs.com/Melody-Yesterlife/release/1303621.

They were a French 1970's band, with male/female lead vocals sung in English. Their debut LP "Come Fly With Me" was actually recorded as a demo at Philippe Besombes studio, which won them a contract with Vogue.

Collaborator apps79 reviewed their debut album on RYM, and provides all the info you'll need to add them: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/melody_f1/come_fly_with_me/.

Both Melody albums have different versions of some of the same material.

They are on proggnosis as symphonic prog band: https://www.proggnosis.com/Artist/4386.

If you want to take it any further I can pm you some more samples.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 12:47
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Are we talking about this 'Melody' Iván?

They also did a second album called 'Yesterlife' in 1977: https://www.discogs.com/Melody-Yesterlife/release/1303621.

They were a French 1970's band, with male/female lead vocals sung in English. Their debut LP "Come Fly With Me" was actually recorded as a demo at Philippe Besombes studio, which won them a contract with Vogue.

Collaborator apps79 reviewed their debut album on RYM, and provides all the info you'll need to add them: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/melody_f1/come_fly_with_me/.

Both Melody albums have different versions of some of the same material.

They are on proggnosis as symphonic prog band: https://www.proggnosis.com/Artist/4386.

If you want to take it any further I can pm you some more samples.

That's not what Silly Puppy "who suggested them" said on the thread

This is what he said:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

How does it work here when there are only two videos to be found? This is a super rare and obscure album. It seems like it has been deemed symphonic prog on other sites. Since it is impossible to hear the entire album, will it simply end up in the reject pile?

Three videos are untitled, there's a lot of Psyche and hard rock

We asked for the whole album and Silly Puppy said it was impossible..That's all, I have asked a friend from the radio for the whole OFFICIAL release, he will answer me when he has time, so unless you have the full album as it was released (Not the misspressed copy with Mahogany on side B), this is on standby.

I used to buy all the albums that couldn't be found, I can't afford that anymore, I don't even buy all the albums I would wish to have.

PS: If the robot capcha keeps deleting my posts edition, I will blow.

Now the damn thing asks me to recognize photos.

SOMEBODY FIX THIS SH*T PLEASE.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 25 2017 at 13:27

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 17:03

I'm afraid even M@X cannot fix nor kick out such a b******t CrAPTCHA. Guess this cRaptcha procedure might be specified all around of Web Wiz Forum main server. 
Ouch
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 17:04
... Anyway I've purchased their album and shared with all of Neo Team members for eval. Cool
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2017 at 17:49
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

I'm afraid even M@X cannot fix nor kick out such a b******t CrAPTCHA. Guess this cRaptcha procedure might be specified all around of Web Wiz Forum main server. 
Ouch

The CAPTCHA isn't a problem at all...it's the 'Access Denied' error that happens after I've solved the CAPTCHA almost every single time for me that sucks. I have to make anywhere between 6 and 12 attempts with 90% of my posts before it finally goes through. It's a damned nightmare!! Angry Surely M@X can fix these access denial errors that keep getting thrown back at us? It must be a software thing that can be quite easily fixed -  surely all the other Web Wiz Forums on the Internet aren't having to endure this same bullsh*t? Ermm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 10:17
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

Ouch

The CAPTCHA isn't a problem at all...it's the 'Access Denied' error that happens after I've solved the CAPTCHA almost every single time for me that sucks. I have to make anywhere between 6 and 12 attempts with 90% of my posts before it finally goes through. It's a damned nightmare!! Angry Surely M@X can fix these access denial errors that keep getting thrown back at us? It must be a software thing that can be quite easily fixed -  surely all the other Web Wiz Forums on the Internet aren't having to endure this same bullsh*t? Ermm

Sometimes after making me check 2 or 3 sets of photos, the systen freezes on that window and I lose all I wrote.

So I have to copy what I wrote every time

It's simply stupid, this guys  from wen wiz forums are making people hate this forums.

BTW: Just found it's a program that WWF sells, it's not automatic.

https://www.webwiz.net/web-wiz-captcha/

Somebody must be hacking the site

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 26 2017 at 10:20

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2017 at 23:36
All aside, Elements have been added to Neo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12