Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Modern album FINAL!!!   Hybris v. Spirit of Eden
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedModern album FINAL!!! Hybris v. Spirit of Eden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Poll Question: pick the winner of the 2015 PA's modern album tournament
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [44.57%]
51 [55.43%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 20:11
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

(....) those you are profiting with  in Bandcamp...(...)
I told you several times that I don't work for Bandcamp. And no once I asked you to show a proof of your assertion that I work for Bandcamp as a bot, and you did not have any proof; in real life, you are an renowned lawyer as you said, so you should know that the false accusation is something bad.
I'm very sorry because you don't like Bandcamp for some reason, but it's a legal stream & download site and, consenquently, those Bandcamp links are allowed at the Prog Archives.
Bye!

1.- Yeah...You don't work in Bandcamp, also pigs fly and Tito was a saint. Dead
2.- I like Bandcamp, I don't like you

You are harming new bands translating the rejection people feel for you, to them.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 06 2015 at 20:11

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:47
First and second rounds were really funny and revealing. The other rounds were less frantic.

Maybe it's too late but grouping songs in batches of 4 'till the end might be very interesting. Big smile

Guigo

~~~~~~
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:28
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

FWIW, despite my disappointment with the results, I do want to send a hardy thank you and some Clap micky's way for running the tournaments.  Although, I may not have agreed with most of your comments nor cared for your "college spirit", I did appreciate having inspirations to check out some of the unfamiliar acts.  Not enough free time to check them all out, but maybe some day. Thumbs Up

Hug
Hug Thank you too Raff! 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:18
It was indeed a lot of fun, particularly in the early rounds, much like March Madness or the World Cup group stages. Well done micky and Raff.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:05

FWIW, despite my disappointment with the results, I do want to send a hardy thank you and some Clap micky's way for running the tournaments.  Although, I may not have agreed with most of your comments nor cared for your "college spirit", I did appreciate having inspirations to check out some of the unfamiliar acts.  Not enough free time to check them all out, but maybe some day. Thumbs Up

Hug
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:01

Edited by rushfan4 - October 06 2015 at 15:04
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 15:00
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pffff..

you all suck. Tio Bitar should have won.. 

Toe Biter? Wasn't that one of the thugs in The Road Warrior?  Or was he the guy with the flaming guitar in the new Mad Max movie?  Tongue
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:58

Honestly, I think that it is rather a shame, and quite frankly, kind of embarassing, that with all of the great modern prog bands and albums that have been released in the last 30+ years, that a debatable prog album from a non-prog band would win the modern tourney.  Seems odd that the purveyors of all things prog couldn't select a more representative album of modern prog to win the modern prog portion of the tournament.  Confused 

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "purveyors of all things prog". Lots of albums were selected, and - if you remember - everyone was involved in suggesting albums. After that,  people chose according to their tastes. It's called democracy. Personally, though I like Spirit of Eden a lot, I would've liked other albums to win, but I knew they did not stand a chance.

As to Spirit being "debatable" in prog terms, most modern albums - unless they reproduce classic prog modes verbatim - are likely to be called so. Just out of curiosity... Which album(s) would you have wanted to win?
By "purveyors of all things prog" I meant "your ultimate prog rock resource". (I was too lazy to scroll back to the top to look at the PA slogan.)

The number of great modern prog albums that have been released are too numerous to list.  Certainly, albums by Steve Wilson or Porcupine Tree (hate them as much as you may) are far more representative of what "modern prog" is these days.  Personally, I would have preferred to see an album by The Flower Kings, or Spock's Beard or The Tangent, or some such band win the modern side of things, but realize that this site is way to avant leaning for something like that to happen.  Thus, I'd also have been more expecting to see a band come out of the prog metal side of things, given that is pretty much all modern. 

I'll have to track down the brackets to be more specific to the tournament as to which bands I would have wanted to win, but I suspect that list might be fairly long too.  LOL

This is the result of arbitrary pairings of bands throughout the poll.  This type of exercise is never scientific.  But you cannot deny it wasn't fun.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:57
To the Dungen with you!!! 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:55
pffff..

you all suck. Tio Bitar should have won.. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:54
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

. Just out of curiosity... Which album(s) would you have wanted to win?

5 Suns!! 5 Suns should have won!!

QFTClapLOL.

Anyway, to respond to Scott's post, I don't think the site is too avant-leaning, or at least this is not the impression I get from hanging out in the forums. The problem is that a lot of the people whose tastes are more similar to yours didn't vote, while those with more left-field tastes did. Additionally, many more people voted in the Classics polls than they did in the Moderns, because many fans of classic prog dismiss even the bands you mentioned (remember WalterDigsTunes? He's not the only one of his kind). On the other hand, many people interested in modern prog (like Ian and myself) tend to like "weirder" stuff.

And, hopefully for the last time... I don't hate either PT or SW. I just don't think they're the best thing since sliced bread.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:47

. Just out of curiosity... Which album(s) would you have wanted to win?

5 Suns!! 5 Suns should have won!!
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:45

Honestly, I think that it is rather a shame, and quite frankly, kind of embarassing, that with all of the great modern prog bands and albums that have been released in the last 30+ years, that a debatable prog album from a non-prog band would win the modern tourney.  Seems odd that the purveyors of all things prog couldn't select a more representative album of modern prog to win the modern prog portion of the tournament.  Confused 

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "purveyors of all things prog". Lots of albums were selected, and - if you remember - everyone was involved in suggesting albums. After that,  people chose according to their tastes. It's called democracy. Personally, though I like Spirit of Eden a lot, I would've liked other albums to win, but I knew they did not stand a chance.

As to Spirit being "debatable" in prog terms, most modern albums - unless they reproduce classic prog modes verbatim - are likely to be called so. Just out of curiosity... Which album(s) would you have wanted to win?
By "purveyors of all things prog" I meant "your ultimate prog rock resource". (I was too lazy to scroll back to the top to look at the PA slogan.)

The number of great modern prog albums that have been released are too numerous to list.  Certainly, albums by Steve Wilson or Porcupine Tree (hate them as much as you may) are far more representative of what "modern prog" is these days.  Personally, I would have preferred to see an album by The Flower Kings, or Spock's Beard or The Tangent, or some such band win the modern side of things, but realize that this site is way to avant leaning for something like that to happen.  Thus, I'd also have been more expecting to see a band come out of the prog metal side of things, given that is pretty much all modern. 

I'll have to track down the brackets to be more specific to the tournament as to which bands I would have wanted to win, but I suspect that list might be fairly long too.  LOL
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:26

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:18
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 14:09

Talk Talk and New Wave for the winLOL!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 13:28
Talk Talk and New Wave for the winLOL!
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 13:02
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yup, I just voted TT, just to piss of Svetonia... Big smile
Me? Who I am? LOL! I am Mr. Nobody. Actually, you piss of that great prog band Anglagard, just in favour of new wave band Talk Talk LOL

I suspect Angalgard couldn't care less.
Anglagard couldn't care less because they already beat all other PROG bands in that "modern prog" group, and it is good that some prog gods finally took off their masks and showing their true faces! LOL

Edited by Svetonio - October 06 2015 at 13:02
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 12:44

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yup, I just voted TT, just to piss of Svetonia... Big smile
Me? Who I am? LOL! I am Mr. Nobody. Actually, you piss of that great prog band Anglagard, just in favour of new wave band Talk Talk LOL

I suspect Angalgard couldn't care less.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 12:11
Well Hugues, that seemed to work better than expected.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>