Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Modern album FINAL!!!   Hybris v. Spirit of Eden
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedModern album FINAL!!! Hybris v. Spirit of Eden

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213
Poll Question: pick the winner of the 2015 PA's modern album tournament
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [44.57%]
51 [55.43%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 20:25
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

One thing is usually ignored by English mohter-language guys: some words may sound offensive but if translated back in their original languages may be not.
Nope.  While I would agree with this on *some* instances where the translation of specific words can be misinterpreted, for example I have noticed that when dealing with Spanish speakers that sometimes the use of the word "ignorance" can sometimes be taken to mean "ignorant", this does not apply to phrases and whole sentences - so while this comment about us English mother-language guys is often used around here, I don't find it to be particularly convincing. Here we are not talking about the nuances of translation - the offence that Svetonio conveys in his jibes are exactly those he intended, so when he says:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

.... but it's all nothing without that great avant prog band Šarlo Akrobata LOL
I wonder who were the geniuses in that avant team who added them.
That's not an error in translation. He really is being sarcastic and he really is insulting you and your team.

Svetonio usually floods the teams with his suggestions but many of them are now on PA.
Ah.. no. Not many but some. It is impossible to count how many bands he has suggested in the Suggest New Bands thread because the search only shows the last 100 but by extrapolating the time frame in which those 100 bands were suggested over the time in which he was active in suggesting bands then the total is probably approaching 500, add that to the bands he's "suggested" in Unsigned bands and all those in Bandcamp Recommendations, What Are You Plugging Now and all the other threads he spams with these "recommendations" then you are probably looking at close to 1000. Of that the small number that have been accepted is by far outweighed by those that have been evaluated and rejected. Frankly, you could do just as well by picking bands at random.

I'm with Smurph for what it can matter.
Good for you. 

What?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 21:18
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 02:23

One thing is usually ignored by English mohter-language guys: some words may sound offensive but if translated back in their original languages may be not. Svetonio usually floods the teams with his suggestions but many of them are now on PA. I'm with Smurph for what it can matter.

Did think about that (I'm a French mother-tongued dude myself), but Svet's persistance in using the words after repeated remarks shows that he neither cares about his "maybe using the wrong words", nor was this choice of word is  by inadvertance

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 04:23
*yawn*
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 05:29
OK, eight pages of jerking around, ... oh, and the score is 40-50. (I was so wrapped up in the ongoing discussion that I forgot about the poll ).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 10 2015 at 05:32
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 05:45
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

*yawn*
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

OK, eight pages of jerking around
Abso-f**king-lutely. It's a snorefest of the first magnitude guaranteed to cure the insomnia of the most hypertensive person on the planet. It really is tedious in the extreme having to think of new things to say about a worn-out subject that should have been put to rest a very long time ago, I mean really, do we have to repeat the same old same old each and every time some clown mashes their grubby mits into the keyboard in the hope that the random stream of ASCII characters forms some kind of semi-coherent pronouncement that all will swallow without having to think. Has the forum really exhausted all viable topics of discussion such that all we have left is to turgidly drag out this monotony of insignificance and thus induce a somnolent coma of languorousness in not only those who can find nothing else to read on a nonplussed and indifferent autumnal morning but also in those who have managed to muster enough neural-activity to actually post something... but by Chripes do all the posts have to be so bloody boring? I try, I really do honestly try, I try to make the tedium more entertaining but at the end of the day the subject matter itself bores even me, I read *yawn* and internally translate that as "stop being a dick" and I see 'eight pages of jerking around' and again I internally translate that as "stop being a dick" because in the final assessment, responding to someone who cannot stop said activity is to behave like a dick yourself, oh the sweet irony as that domino effect ripples through every off-topic post in this thread. Yet still it's like a sloth on mogadons watching slow-motion replays of grown men playing golf in lake of treacle while wearing stupid trousers. If only there was a way of making these things more exciting like they do on Big Brother or Some Lobotomised Shitehawk's Got Talent, some way of prizing the can of generic lager and bag of potato chips from the pudgy fingers of the massed unwashed so they could create their own amusement instead of relying on others to keep them awake and entertained. Perhaps we could encourage some form of audience participation so they could zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hu? what? sorry I dozed off for a few seconds there as Morpheus sprinkled sand in my eyes, what was I saying, humm, oh yeah, so they could invest in some intelligent debate of their own over and above giving the Roman thumb's-down from the Colosseum cheap seats in indignant lethargy induced judgement to the tiresome pissing contest that is nothing but a poor substitute for real animated and involved discussion. But yeah, *yawn*, it's like watching paint dry on a damp day when there is nothing else to do in life except trawl the forum looking for something mildly interesting to comment upon and drawing a total blank as your arse grows ever more numb from the lack of movement and your eyelids droop from the weary weight of under-stimulation. I see a thread about coffee has recently been started, perhaps that will wake us from our stupor.

tl;dr

*yawn*

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

... oh, and the score is 40-50. (I was so wrapped up in the ongoing discussion that I forgot about the poll  ).
 ... and so to page 9 before the sandman beckons us all to the ennui of mass catalepsy.

Edited by Dean - October 10 2015 at 05:56
What?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 06:17
And yet, this thread had been dormant for a few days, before someone (too lazy to check who) put a coin in the single-song jukebox to reliven the dying fire and cooling ashes

Sleepy
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 15:40
Oh what the fcuk .... Lazarus arise .... this may now be nowt but dust and ashes but damn it was a shame the way it ended and Mickey at least deserves a round of applause for putting the thing together. It was a sterling effort.

Clap Thumbs Up Clap

Edited by t d wombat - October 18 2015 at 16:57
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 16:46
Yeah, it was a fun contest. Thanks Micky ClapClapClap
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 17:01
Thank you Svetonio, after reading you, even I wanted to vote for Talk Talk.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111213