Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Bow-Man: '77 - '80

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Pick it.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [42.86%]
2 [14.29%]
1 [7.14%]
5 [35.71%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Bow-Man: '77 - '80
    Posted: September 26 2015 at 11:53
Sure, sure, Bowie's persona and talent were defined early on with Ziggy Stardust and the like, but I've always warmed up to the product of his later years, especially during his "Berlin era" when he was crossing paths with such luminaries as Eno, Fripp, and Iggy Pop. The albums Low, Heroes, and Lodger at that time abandoned the pop formulas of the previous two albums in favor of his most experimental triad of albums to date. And '81's Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) nicely rounded out the lot before Bowie moved on to being the pop smash of '83. Among the four albums mentioned, 'Monsters is the most accessible for me while still retaining some of the qualities of the Berlin era albums. The question? Which album is your favorite?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 12:04
Heroes for Nostalgic reason

Edited by O666 - September 27 2015 at 05:37
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 12:29
Low, his best since Hunky Dory.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 16:53
I thought this was a history lesson on what Tim Bowness was doing from 1977-1980!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 23:55
Low, followed by Scary Monsters.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 02:00
Low, the first Bowie album that I have bought
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 04:48
First vote for Lodger. Could just as easily have gone for Low.

Small sidenote: I find it rather amusing that what I personally consider part of Bowie's musical peak is a period of time that he doesn't remember too much of (snort snort). If David performs tunes from any of these albums today, he needs a piece of paper with the lyrics printed on.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Artpop View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2015 at 13:54
I quite like 'Outside' which was produced by Eno. His more recent 'The Next Day' had some fine moments as well and 'Hunky Dory', 'Heroes', 'Station to Station', 'Low', 'Scary Monsters' and 'Ziggy..' all get annual play in the deck.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 10:36
He doesn't get any higher than Low! Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 11:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Small sidenote: I find it rather amusing that what I personally consider part of Bowie's musical peak is a period of time that he doesn't remember too much of (snort snort). If David performs tunes from any of these albums today, he needs a piece of paper with the lyrics printed on.

Wasn't the "(snort, snort)" period during his Thin White Duke days? And he looked pretty lucid on that Bing Crosby special.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 11:11
The Berlin period was of great interest to me and so I followed it during the time of it's arrival, but still returned to the first 4 albums of his early period. I appreciated the early material and particularly in the area of Bowie's writing and Mick Ronson's arrangements. Space Oddity, Man Who Sold The World, Hunky Dory, and Ziggy Stardust were the first monumental Glam Rock releases that presented more in the area of musicianship and writing. Some of his songs were just as impressive as The Beatles. And that's what I thought ...hearing the stuff at age 15 and in many aspects of composition, the song "Life On Mars" is to the level of any outstanding Procol Harum or Beatles' song. I have the same appreciation for the first 4 Roxy Music albums. They were a unique band , but also revealed is the influence Bowie had in songs like "The Thrill Of It All". Or The Tubes song "Boy Crazy" was more stylistically based on the later writing of Mr. Bowie. The Berlin period was influential to other artists and Bowie can surely be credited as a unique writer that changes his style and creates something original , other than to be taken with a grain of salt. He has a gift for writing and a special skill that ....to me personally...places him with other great writers like Godley & Creme, John Lennon, Ray Davies ...even though they were successful many years before Bowie, he was quite like them in the sense that he was a sincere writer that progressed in his writing...while many other writers during his period of popularity did not.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2015 at 11:19
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Wasn't the "(snort, snort)" period during his Thin White Duke days? And he looked pretty lucid on that Bing Crosby special.

I'm pretty certain it continued up until the turn of the decade. The Berlin years were pretty wild - just ask Iggy.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 19:32
The Berlin trilogy is a great run of records....side 2 of Lodger is my favorite side; Heroes my favorite complete LP; Warszawa my favorite "song".  Each is a jewel in Bowie's long discography.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 02:05
The live album 'Stage' sums up Bowie for me. All tracks whipping their studio counterparts for dead.
For the poll, I say Low, and I've never heard Scary Monsters (I only have the 7" of Ashes To Ashes). I used to have a stack of Bowie LP's, but only hung on to a few. He's a pretty incredible artist, though.
I was surprised that Ricky Gardiner, guitarist from the Scottish Prog band Beggar's Opera, played on Low. One thing, Bowie knew a great band when he saw one.
 Post Reply Post Reply