Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCatalogue of Sonic Mutations (U.S.) for JR/F

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catalogue of Sonic Mutations (U.S.) for JR/F
    Posted: September 27 2015 at 08:21
Catalogue of Sonic Mutations is a gifted five-piece band from Eureka, California. At Secure Sound Studios, they recorded debut instrumental album "What Year Is It?" and released it as a digital release at bandcamp at September 20, 2015. The members are:
A.N. - Bass
K.L.- Guitar
M.W. - Keyboards
R.A. - Guitar treatments
G.L.- Drums
i suggested the band Catalogue of Sonic Mutations for PA RIO/Avant section due to the influence of zeuhl.

Bandcamp link:

edit: the genre suggestion is changed to JR/F.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - October 09 2015 at 03:11
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 13:21
To me it sounds more free jazz, but I'll toss to the team.
Any more information about the band? There's almost nothing on Bandcamp and we are used to write a bio when adding an artist...
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 20:02
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

To me it sounds more free jazz, but I'll toss to the team.
Any more information about the band? There's almost nothing on Bandcamp and we are used to write a bio when adding an artist...
hello Octopus! thank you for reply and please just click at the contact link at their bandcamp page and send that bio request directly to the band - of course, only in the case if you find that the music fits as a PA material as well.BTW, i thought that i would suggest these guys for the PA' JR/F section but then in the last moment i switched in favor of your Avant section due to that evidently influence of zeuhl.there is also a touch of free jazz, of course, but the whole debut is quite "organic" and yet with a "dark space" atmosphere so that touch of free jazz is just one of a number of nice ingredients in this adventurous avantprog mixture IMHO.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - September 28 2015 at 20:04
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 20:20
Er, it's your suggestion, why don't you write to the band?
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2015 at 20:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Er, it's your suggestion, why don't you write to the band?
IMHO, nobody would write the mail to the band and to ask for the additional informations [ie infos which arent already published by the bands or solo artists themselfs] before the band is not cleared based on the music.
if the band / solo artist is cleared for addition, then only a collab [ie you guys as long-term representatives of the PA] should do that IMHO.

edit: in this particular case, the band is already provided all necessary things for the valid suggestion and eval process from the most important thing - the full-stream, to the instruments used for the album making and that location where the material is recorded.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - September 28 2015 at 21:09
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 06:31
OK, the band has been evaluated by the ZARTeam, and unanimously rejected because their music is definitely NOT RIO/Avant, but rather free jazz. This is not a bad thing, since for some reason they decided not to make any biographical info available on the Web, and we don't have either the time or the inclination to hunt around for scraps of information.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 02:07
if not avant [i respect your opinion] , to these ears it's rather fusion with a strong influence of early 70s jazz-rock & zeuhl, and with a touch of free jazz, so i appeal to JR/F team to check this suggestion if they have a time. Therefore, the genre suggestion is already changed to JR/F.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - October 09 2015 at 03:12
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:08
If the ZART team felt this band would have any sort of chance in fusion, then they would've sent it their way...but they didn't, so no need to change the thread title.
Btw I too am only hearing free-jazz, but it is some damn tasty free-jazz (and free to boot).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:14
I didn't realize he had changed the title... Indeed, as David said, none of us felt the bad would have any chance if submitted to JR/F, or else we would have voted Move rather than an unanimous No. They are excellent at what they do, but - like a lot of other excellent bands/artists - their music falls outside the boundaries of this site.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2015 at 23:49
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

If the ZART team felt this band would have any sort of chance in fusion, then they would've sent it their way...but they didn't, so no need to change the thread title.
Btw I too am only hearing free-jazz, but it is some damn tasty free-jazz (and free to boot).
this is free jazz and it's also damn tasty:

suggested band are playing awesome fusion in the style of late 60s/early 70s when  free-jazz ingredient was pretty obviously thing for the genre*.
i said above - i thought to suggest to JR/F firstly but in the last sec i switched to avant due to zeuhl influence.

edit*: Wikipedia:

Quote Emergency! is the debut double album by American jazz fusion group The Tony Williams Lifetime. It was released in 1969 and was one of the first significant jazz fusion recordings.
-------
In the album, the band experiment with a wide range of genres, including funk, psychedelic rock, hard bop, blues and free jazz.

Quote What really sticks with me about Bitches Brew is that it is full of improvisation with a free/avant-garde spirit.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - October 12 2015 at 06:01
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2015 at 06:02
It's more free jazz with the sound quality of a demo recording. It's staying rejected, I'm not passing it to JR/F.
klamb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 13:15
Hi all, Kit (K.L.) from CoSM here and wow, we are honored at the mention here (especially coming all the way from Yugoslavia) and that you all took the time to listen and deliberate on what to classify this music as! Free-jazz is probably the most apt label as it is all improvised, but I'm glad the zeuhl, RIO and experimental influences are coming through. 

I just wanted to humbly let you all know that we have two new releases out. They are a bit more refined than the previous one but also fairly different from each other. 'Before the Break' borders on the funk and fusion side more than we have before, while 'Superficial Friendships...' is a single 20-minute noise-jazz experiment, with more zeuhl influences coming through again. 

Hope you enjoy and thanks again for the support!

Edited by klamb - January 23 2016 at 13:21
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 14:09
A new release can trigger a new evaluation (we have our rules here), but please be so kind to give us some info about the band (story, members, etc...)  and ossibly a pic of the band.

I can't promise anuthing, but you have said Zeuhl which is a sort of magic word for those ears....
klamb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2016 at 14:58
CoSM was formed out of a mutual love of improvisation and experimental jazz music among musicians from various other projects who all found themselves cohabiting the same studio building in Eureka, CA (at one time or another). Many of us met at university or played shows together in improvised settings and found we had many common influences. The member list is constantly in flux but regular members include Guy Lamb (The Uptights, Whitey Brown and the Future Blues Institute), Kit Lamb (s/t, Elegant Humanoid, Fek and the Future Friends of Sound, Artificial Cosmonaut), Alec Nelson (Comfortable, Ephemeral Bliss, Artificial Cosmonaut), Ben James (High Crimes), Mike Warden (Melted Cassettes, Elegant Humanoid, Galaxy Cruiser) and Ricardo Alvarez (Comfortable, Rapture Wave). The project is designated more by which room it happens in and under what pretense than by the members or the chosen style of music. No pictures quite yet but we do have a short clip from a gig last week. 

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2016 at 02:47
Personally I still hear mostly (very good) jazz. I'd say no for Avant, but I think JR/F should give you an ear. 

Post Reply Post Reply