FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestion about Metropolis (pt.2) story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Metropolis (pt.2) story
    Posted: August 21 2005 at 06:43

**If you haven't heard the album yet, and dont want the storyline to be ruined for you, you shouldnt read on...

Well, I got the album not too long ago and after listening several times, I think I understand the main story...
Nicholas, the main charecter, is having flashbacks of his past life so he goes to the Hupno, and reveals the story of his past life. He was Victoria, who had a relationship with Julian (the sleeper), but left him because of a "habit" and got it togather with his brother Ed (the miracle).
She than tried to get back with Julian, so Ed got angry, killed both of them, and made it looked like they had a fight which ended in murder and sucide...

So my questions are:
    1. Who is Metropolis??? She is only mentioned once or twice and I dont see her significance in the story.
    2. Whats the news you hear at the very end about?
    3. Whats the point in calling Ed and Julian the miracle and the sleeper? why give them two names?

I'd thank anyone for clearing these points up for me...

Edited by Dreamer
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 07:15

3. Whats the point in calling Ed and Julian the miracle and the sleeper? why give them two names?

To tie it in with Metropolis Part 1

Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by Dreamer Dreamer wrote:

2. Whats the news you hear at the very end about?

It's not actually anything relevant to the story. In the Metropolis 2000 DVD commentary the band says that they just flipped on the news the day they were recording, which happened to be the day one of the Kennedys (I can't remember which one ) died in a plane crash. So, that's what the news is about, but it has nothing to do with the story and isn't supposed to be taken as a political message or anything radical like that; it's just coincidence.
Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 13:22

I might change my opinion, but I think the story is the weakest point of the album. It's told in a great way, but im not a big fan of soap operas, and mixing that with detective stories and past lives results in a very far-fetched story.... It sounds like they forced themselves to complicate it as much as they could.
I also dont even get the way it connects with Metropolis pt.1 (apart from some riffs and lyrics)

But apart from the story, the album is great, me thinks.

TheaterX View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2005 at 14:13
I think you missed a big part of the story.  The ending, where the hypnotherapist is at Nicholas' house, he kills him because the hypno is the reincarnation of Edward and Nicholas is the reincarnation of Victoria.

Metropolis pt. 1 is about the struggle between the Miracle and the Sleeper, which according to the story has happened many times over many generations.  Pt. 2 is more specifically about these characters.
 Post Reply Post Reply