FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSavoy Brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savoy Brown
    Posted: October 01 2015 at 08:25
I've been listening to rock music for many many years and Savoy Brown have passed me by
I heard Train to nowhere when Wowie Zowie was issued but for some reason didnt hit the sweet spot.
However I picked up a cd of Blue Matter recently and its opened the door.
They made some very good stuff - Anybody else into them?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 09:23
Good blues /rock band......
Raw Sienna is my personal favorite (last one with Youlden on vocals...my fave singer with them)  though Blue Matter and Step Further are also good.....from Looking In on they became more rock oriented but still rooted in the blues.

....not to be pedantic but this is the prog lounge. For non prog bands general music thread is used. ......people get picky about this.Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 10:23
I can see
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 10:34
Heh...yeah sorry that was me earlier. 
Anyway, pretty easy rule of thumb: if the band in question is listed on PA as a prog band, then use the progressive music lounges. If not then general music discussions is the place to go.
A bit of a jungle this place, I know, I certainly felt the same when I first started visiting. It gets easier thoughSmile

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 01 2015 at 10:39
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 10:45
It seems to me that somebody need to fill up their lives more - dont you think so?At the end of the day it's a discussion forum not a regimental parade
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 10:56
I'm off I'm cancelling - much too silly for my liking
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 10:57
Well that's how the site works. That is also why we have moderators to help out (It's part of their job among other things).
As I mentioned before, PA is huge and quite a jungle. That topics are filed where they belong only makes it easier to navigate. 

EDIT: I'm sorry this should be part of your "welcome" to PA. No one here holds ill will towards new members for posting in the wrong section. We don't normally say anything either, but seeing as Doc mentioned it, I felt I needed to explain how things work. Anyway, I certainly don't mind moving threads. I posted in all the wrong places, when I first started out visiting the forum. 

I hope you stick around. We have some genuinely cool people around. Folks from the industry as well, who are more than happy to share their old battle stories.

Cheers
David

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 01 2015 at 11:11
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 11:03
I'm more interested in the future Foghat line-up (from Getting to the Point until Lookin' In, with Raw Sienna as the pinacle) rather than the ex-Chicken Shack line-up (from Street Corner until Lion's Share, with the later as the pinacle)

Also a very fine series of artwork during that era, too.

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 11:13
Originally posted by chazzaboy chazzaboy wrote:

I'm off I'm cancelling - much too silly for my liking

Where is Graeme Chapman in miltary uniform when you need him.

I had a copy of wowie Zowie LP many years ago, wish I still had it now.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2015 at 12:15
I really like Looking In and especially, Savage Return by Savoy Brown.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 16:12
Street Corner Talking and Hellbound Train also has some nice things on it.
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 12:00
Shake Down/Getting To The Point is available as a double disc set on BGO Records. Shake Down features Brice Portius on lead vocals. Sometimes he is good, sometimes he is not. Shake Down rates a C average. Getting To The Point featuring Chris Youlden on vocals is decent like Blue Matter. A Step Further is one of my favorites! "Made Up My Mind" is a fine up tempo Bluesy track with fantastic vocal phrasing by Chris Youlden. "Waiting In The Bamboo Grove" is an instrumental Blues arrangement with horns. It is more reminiscent of the style Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago, and Electric Flag were doing in the 60's. It's a fun piece. "Life's One Act Play" is an interesting Blues song with a backing of string arrangements similar to Fleetwood Mac's "I Need Your Love So Bad". "I'm Tired" is a great Blues arrangement with sincere lyrics about a guy who feels trapped and forced by society to agree with things like "small talk", phony fundamental ideas, and overall sources of communication revolving around the concept of "agree to disagree". This song flows into "Where Am I" which is simply Conga playing for one minute and 51 seconds. Then the "Savoy Brown Boogie(live)" begins and I lose interest. The production is foul and the performance is not up to par for me. The first 5 tracks on A STEP FURTHER are a complete must to own ...if you like Savoy Brown. 

HELLBOUND TRAIN is more of an American "middle of the road" Allman Brothers Band style and I only favor a few tracks, however the song "Hellbound Train" is one of my favorite Rock songs that crosses between Procol Harum and Deep Purple. As a matter of fact, I can hear Gary Brooker singing this instead of Dave Walker. The Best Of Savoy Brown on the C5 label, released in 1990 ...is a good compilation and a worthwhile purchase. The Blues Keep Me Holding On is very good. It's a later release with strong playing and decent vocals. RAW SIENNA is decent and if I'm not mistaken, the last recording with Chris Youlden. It's not as exciting as the 4 tracks I mentioned ..contained on A STEP FURTHER. The first 4 tracks on A STEP FURTHER compare to any great British Blues Boom release ...such as the best Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, John Baldry, Climax Blues Band, or John Mayall. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 12:32
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Shake Down/Getting To The Point is available as a double disc set on BGO Records. Shake Down features Brice Portius on lead vocals. Sometimes he is good, sometimes he is not. Shake Down rates a C average. Getting To The Point featuring Chris Youlden on vocals is decent like Blue Matter. A Step Further is one of my favorites! "Made Up My Mind" is a fine up tempo Bluesy track with fantastic vocal phrasing by Chris Youlden. "Waiting In The Bamboo Grove" is an instrumental Blues arrangement with horns. It is more reminiscent of the style Blood, Sweat & Tears, Chicago, and Electric Flag were doing in the 60's. It's a fun piece. "Life's One Act Play" is an interesting Blues song with a backing of string arrangements similar to Fleetwood Mac's "I Need Your Love So Bad". "I'm Tired" is a great Blues arrangement with sincere lyrics about a guy who feels trapped and forced by society to agree with things like "small talk", phony fundamental ideas, and overall sources of communication revolving around the concept of "agree to disagree". This song flows into "Where Am I" which is simply Conga playing for one minute and 51 seconds. Then the "Savoy Brown Boogie(live)" begins and I lose interest. The production is foul and the performance is not up to par for me. The first 5 tracks on A STEP FURTHER are a complete must to own ...if you like Savoy Brown. 

HELLBOUND TRAIN is more of an American "middle of the road" Allman Brothers Band style and I only favor a few tracks, however the song "Hellbound Train" is one of my favorite Rock songs that crosses between Procol Harum and Deep Purple. As a matter of fact, I can hear Gary Brooker singing this instead of Dave Walker. The Best Of Savoy Brown on the C5 label, released in 1990 ...is a good compilation and a worthwhile purchase. The Blues Keep Me Holding On is very good. It's a later release with strong playing and decent vocals. RAW SIENNA is decent and if I'm not mistaken, the last recording with Chris Youlden. It's not as exciting as the 4 tracks I mentioned ..contained on A STEP FURTHER. The first 4 tracks on A STEP FURTHER compare to any great British Blues Boom release ...such as the best Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, John Baldry, Climax Blues Band, or John Mayall. 

My personal favorite is Raw Sienna; imo that's the best set with Youlden;.....though I do like the earlier ones also. I have been listening to Savoy from the very early days because my best friend Bill is a blues fan and used to play them as early as 68/69.

We used to 'alter our consciousness' in his old house and listen to all the early Brit blues bands.
Wink
Haquin
chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 13:40
Do you work for the NME?
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 14:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

My personal favorite is Raw Sienna; imo that's the best set with Youlden;.....though I do like the earlier ones also. I have been listening to Savoy from the very early days because my best friend Bill is a blues fan and used to play them as early as 68/69.

We used to 'alter our consciousness' in his old house and listen to all the early Brit blues bands.
Wink

Was Timothy Leary there? Oh No....not that again!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 16:16

Wink

No....just some 'herbs'.
Wink
Haquin
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 22:04

Wink

No....just some 'herbs'.
Wink

Oh okay....then we can all relax now. I really respected the British musicians but was totally dismissive of why they thought the U.S. was such a special place. They came all the way from England just to visit a commercialized plastic hippie land ...as if that was something for them to look forward to. The grass is never greener on the other side, but in this case...quite dead. This was a stupid ignorant place where people passed around pipes at concerts, rolled their eyes into the back of their heads and spoke street lingo as if something was cool about it. Today is a bit worse where drugs are taken for granted and it is assumed by a majority of people that anyone, anywhere, would do crack at the drop of a hat. So...I guess we are all morons and do crack because that is the popular item today. Europeans constantly take a vacation to America thinking it's special and it is not. There is nothing special about it in any sense of the word. 
 Post Reply Post Reply