6 [37.50%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:26
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The main four characters are far too repugnant and appalling to vote favorite.
One of the reasons why I don't watch the show.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 03 2015 at 21:28
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 21:54
That's a big part of the humor guys....  ??  Same with Larry David, he's a prick, but you eventually warm to himLOL

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:09
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

That's a big part of the humor guys....  ??  Same with Larry David, he's a prick, but you eventually warm to himLOL
oh so true, Jim.  The thing with David in curb is that at least half the time he gets himself into trouble, I'm actually on his side more than not.  He says and does the things some of us wish we could do if we didn't care what other people thought.  When his nemesis played brilliantly by Susie Essman tells him to "get the f*k out of my house" for the slightest misstep, on a regular basis, it only reinforces the relative mildness of his point of view.  There is also a good dose of adolescent sketch humor in that shtick that really takes me back.  It's the sort of routine that my friends and I would have pulled when messing around on our tape recorder in the 1970s

Edited by kenethlevine - October 03 2015 at 22:10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:17
Oh I know it's a part of the humor, a big part.  But when you've known someone like Jerry or Elaine, you realize how awful they really are though you often remain friends for years out of habit.   Actually they're all okay except for Seinfeld himself, whom I'm afraid I consider evil.  Too bad, I used to be his biggest fan when I was a kid in the early 80s.  Even went to see him perform.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:19
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

oh so true, Jim.  The thing with David in curb is that at least half the time he gets himself into trouble, I'm actually on his side more than not.  He says and does the things some of us wish we could do if we didn't care what other people thought.  When his nemesis played brilliantly by Susie Essman tells him to "get the f*k out of my house" for the slightest misstep, on a regular basis, it only reinforces the relative mildness of his point of view.  There is also a good dose of adolescent sketch humor in that shtick that really takes me back.  It's the sort of routine that my friends and I would have pulled when messing around on our tape recorder in the 1970s

You did tape recorder comedy too eh? LOL I believe our stuff is lost to time now but yeah, we did lots of tapes too. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:29
I'm confused David....you say you used to be a big fan of his standup....now you consider a character he plays to be evil so you don't like the real person?

Do you feel the same about Larry David's character, other "bad guys" like Archie Bunker or George Jefferson?

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:38

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

You did tape recorder comedy too eh? LOL I believe our stuff is lost to time now but yeah, we did lots of tapes too. 

I think I still have some of it, whether it plays or not I don't know, and I don't have a tape machine anymore.  Some of the best bits were chewed up by the recorder.  Cry

Do you like "Family Guy" Jim?  If so, do you remember the episode where Brian decides to go slow with a girlfriend and next thing you know she is doing it with Cleveland because Brian wasn't moving fast enough...and he keeps having to see it everywhere he goes - in a car, in a convenience store bathroom, on TV at a basebell game.  He can't get away from it.  That was exactly our level of humor, and I admit I still find it funny.

Edited by kenethlevine - October 03 2015 at 22:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:48

I'm confused David....you say you used to be a big fan of his standup....now you consider a character he plays to be evil so you don't like the real person?

Do you feel the same about Larry David's character, other "bad guys" like Archie Bunker or George Jefferson?

It's not a character, it's pretty much the real Seinfeld.   As for David, no, he's more like Woody Allen, despicable but somehow lovable.  You can see his decent side.  Jerry's just a slime.  But again, he reminds me of someone I knew much like that so it leaves a bad taste.  Carrol O'Connor I love because I grew up watching him and he's a real actor, quite brilliant.   And I'm not a Nektar fan, so George Jefferson, well ...  LOL

Edited by Atavachron - October 04 2015 at 00:06
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:55
O'Connor was just brilliant as was Jean Stapleton.  Neither were like their characters and yet they pulled them off so you almost believe they are the characters. 

Ken....I've never much watched that show I have to admit, maybe I should change that. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 23:40
Stapleton was spectacular, really the backbone of that show.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 00:36
Giving some love to Elaine!
Been watching the TNT OnDemand reruns lately.  Still a great show.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 00:48
^She is excellent.  Probably the most talented actor on the show.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 01:00
Wayne Knight is also a good actor

"Hello 'Newman"

"Hello 'Jerry"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 13:41
Hmmm....went with Kramer because he was always funny without even having to say anything.
But to tell the truth I didn't think all that much of the show and thought it was often stupid which it turns out was what Seinfeld was going for; 'a show about nothing'.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 15:05
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Giving some love to Elaine!
Been watching the TNT OnDemand reruns lately.  Still a great show.
She's up there. My choices would be Kramer with Elaine and George tied for second.

I've been watching Veep with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and think she does a great job in
that show.
It's funny sometime to hear the actor I knew as Elaine say things that would make a sailor blush.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12