This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 17:59
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Is Keishiro a doctor? 

either that or he just gets his kicks attending medical conferences LOL I love being his FB friend..  almost enough to want to be a doctor myself.

He is Thumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 18:04
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

ABD (All but dissertation), Computer Science.

I went ahead and wrote my dissertation before completing my course work or qualifiers.  Which makes me, technically, NBD (nothing but dissertation).  My advisor thinks I'm crazy but I've learned to live with that.
Maybe we should combine our efforts and see if some place would give us an honorary doctoral.  Heck, they gave one to Steely Dan.

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 18:30
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I dropped out of college after failing Calculus three straight semesters...  Cry  But I am in a profession that generally requires a degree (software development), and without being too vain I have to say I am the best developer on my team of 20...  so...
I wonder why we needed to study so much Math for a Software Development degree. I still haven't done anything difficult in that area so far... and probably you didn't either in 25 years LOL
Indeed; logic, not math.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 18:55

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

ABD (All but dissertation), Computer Science.

I went ahead and wrote my dissertation before completing my course work or qualifiers.  Which makes me, technically, NBD (nothing but dissertation).  My advisor thinks I'm crazy but I've learned to live with that.
Maybe we should combine our efforts and see if some place would give us an honorary doctoral.  Heck, they gave one to Steely Dan.

Yeah, I thought of that. Not the Steely Dan part, but combining the two to get one degree.  we could pass it back and forth on alternate weeks.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 19:43
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

In many countries, just like mine, you go from "second grade school" (high school) directly to the University... well, if you pass through the examinations. Sometimes it's tough since you have to decide about your future with 16-17 years of age. Many give up their courses returning later generally in a different area.

I am a Mechanical Engineer, with 2 lato sensu (broad sense) postgraduation courses which were later converted into M.Sc.

It's the case here too.  We call it higher secondary school - age of 15 and 16 - and the next year, you have to choose your subject.  It's even worse in that at the age of 15 (or not yet 15, as applicable), the student has to choose from three streams, Science, Commerce and Arts.  The problem being it is a top down pyramid starting with Science.  If you choose Science, you can always later move to Commerce or Arts.  But if you choose Commerce, you can't go back to Science and if you choose Arts, you must have the heart of a lion...or simply failed to secure enough marks to get admitted into Science/Commerce colleges.  That's the sad state of the Arts stream here.  The best part is the decision to choose Commerce has to be made with the gut because your only prior exposure to Commerce subjects (viz accounting, taxes, economics, don't know what other subjects there are abroad in the Commerce stream) would be a slim textbook of economics that doesn't tell you anything about the subject.  Yours truly wanted to study Eng Lit and his father would rather he became an engineer.  Instead, he became an accountant.  Voila!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 19:45
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that deserves such major clappies man.. that is the word.  ClapClap

for me.. I was pushed into college by my parents. I made the mistake of showing brain activity and a talent for numbers when I was younger so I was pushed by my parents to become to the first of my family to graduate college here in the states.

So I went off to college.. confident in my intellgince and ability to succeed with minimum effort as I did in HS. 

Well college was a wake up call...  oh I passed my classes.. barely as I had developed a substantial appetite for drugs, alcohol and women during my first years of college. So after 2 years and half way to a degree in physics.. I was given a year vacation by my university to get my head straight.. so I did what any kid did.

I enlisted and took out my frustrations on enemies of the US state in the middle east..  after getting my (honorable) discharge I was ready to take college seriously but decided physics was a bit too...  applied..  so went into pure math.  Needless to say.. having to pay to college myself (my parents cut me off in anger after my first attempt) I killed it man. Made Dean's list and all that jazz.. even though I suffered significant PDSD and alcohol related issues.  A semester short of graduating I decided Math wasn't for me.. but decide follow my heart and true love.. history and was a year short of that degree when I met the 'spawn of Satan' over a toilet in the Student Union and she put the zap on my head.  I decided to take another break from college as she was working her way through her PhD program.. I was facinated immensely by teh electrical field having taking some electives in E.E..  So I took a semester off and took a job as a apprenetice electrican.

and loved the job so much.. I never went back to finish my degree(s).  Life is short.. live for yourself.. and what interests you. Yes my job is a pain in the ass as I've gotten older and have to do at nearly 50 what 20 yr olds have to do.. but the job satisfaction beat anything any of you college educated f**ks gets. I help people. .and still get paid damn well to to do it. Yes it cost me a marriage my search of happiness didn't fit the life plan of The Spawn of Satan who never accepted I went to work with a shirt with name embroidered on it.

but f**k her..  I won in the end. I'm happy..  so that is the moral of my educational story. Yeah.. I just paid off my student loans 2 years ago.. but I'd change nothing. Live for yourself.. it if it college.. more power to you.. but that isn't the only path to happiness and material success. 

Wow, that's some story!  Is there an Adventures of Mighty Micky book in the piping someday?
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 23:23
Professional degree after a BSc in Biology with a minor in Meteorology.  I passed O levels in the UK but failed my A levels, then went to university in the US so technically, I have neither a high school diploma nor a GED

Ermm
http://www.cailynmusic.com
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 23:45
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Bachelors and Masters in Electrical Engineering
No more school for me :p

BA in English Language and Literature
Always school for me.  Ouch
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 00:12
Hey Epignosis, another thing I'm considering studying for in college is teaching (either math or lit); is it something you'd recommend, any particular benefits or downsides, how relaxed does the work environment tend to be, do you tend to receive good benefits (healthcare specifically), etc.?

Edited by Ozark Soundscape - October 06 2015 at 10:38
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 05:58
Dropped out of Secondary College at the end of 2010. Completed a diploma of music in early 2012. 

And then nothing...
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 07:41
Masters in theology, and back in the 1990's, also in the old Dutch pre-BaMa-structure, a master's degree in Dutch law.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 16:03
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ What's your major?

Meteorology
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Cailyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 17:37
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ What's your major?
Meteorology

Are you working in that field?
http://www.cailynmusic.com
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2015 at 17:44
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Hey Epignosis, another thing I'm considering studying for in college is teaching (either math or lit); is it something you'd recommend, any particular benefits or downsides, how relaxed does the work environment tend to be, do you tend to receive good benefits (healthcare specifically), etc.?

Teach only if you can put up with bullsh*t on a daily basis.  There's a lot of things (not) ancillary to teaching that administrative forces make you do, and the rules change yearly.  One year, you're comfortable following a certain curriculum or methodology, and two years later, it's something completely new.  It's educational "academics" constantly reinventing the wheel and calling it being "innovative."  It's a ton of useless paperwork and ass-covering tactics.

For me personally, the salary stinks, the medical insurance is okay for me (but exorbitant for dependents), but I do find the retirement plan to be satisfactory.

So in general, no, not recommended unless you really want to do it, but it depends on what state you live in.  I don't know what the general assembly of "My bedroom" does, but I bet it's obscene.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 00:07
Ah, okay, definitely seems less appealing now already. And I definitely count as a dependent (diabetic) so in that case it's not really an option. My bedroom's in St. Louis fyi.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 00:21
High School drop kick............um, that's drop out......
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 00:36

Ah, okay, definitely seems less appealing now already. And I definitely count as a dependent (diabetic) so in that case it's not really an option. My bedroom's in St. Louis fyi.
'dependents' would be other family members included on your insurance plan, for example wife and kiddiewinks, not the illnesses you are inflicted with.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 00:56
Ah, my mistake. Still, I'm not sure how my idealistic outlook on teaching and distaste for authority would go in a public school system with a curriculum as arbitrarily and bureaucratically constructed as the U.S.'s, as Epignosis pointed out, more or less.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 08:19
Distaste for authority? Have you considered being a) a revolutionary, b) a terrorist, or c) a punk? I hear they all pay pretty well.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 10:34
^ Yeah, ... authority.

... my idealistic outlook on teaching and distaste for authority
Why weren't you around when Lenin was still alive?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>