Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRip off bands of the 70s/80s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rip off bands of the 70s/80s?
    Posted: October 04 2015 at 22:28
I'm looking for bands that ripped off the prog giants, I'm not really talking about stuff like Marillion and Genesis, but stuff like Starcastle and Yes which is my example of a "rip off" band. How many of these bands are out there and what records do I need? Mind you, I don't enjoy this stuff too much... but it's sorta fun to listen to.

Edited by fudgenuts64 - October 04 2015 at 22:29
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 02:09
I've bought two Glass Hammer albums, If and Cor Cordium, due to their high ratings here on PA and the fact that they were mean as tributes to Yes. Jon Davison is a good Jon Anderson soundalike (even their appearance and names are similar), to the extent that he is now lead signer in Yes. The two albums technically have all the right elements (though the keyboard remind me of Tony Kaye rather than Rick Wakeman), including the mystical lyrics and Roger Dean style album covers. However there is a missing spark.

Classic French prog band Pulsar started off as a Pink Floyd tribute band and in their first album, Pollen, that the influences are the most obvious, though they grew into their own identity. I can particularly recommend their third album Halloween.

Another French band, Atoll, had a Yes-like sound on their third album, Tertio. It's a very good album, nevertheless. The band's previous album L'Araignée-Mal is also good.

I found the first Arena album, Songs from the Lion's Cage, and the second on, Pride (to a lesser degree), very similar to Marillion stylistically.

Electronic composer Michael Hoenig, who has briefly a member of Tangerine Dream, released solo album Departure from the Northern Wasteland in 1978, which sounds almost identical to a late 70s Tangerine Dream album.

American musician Michael Garrison released several albums between 1979 and 1998 that are strongly influenced by Tangerine Dream and Jean Michel Jarre. I've only listened to a couple of his earlier albums.

Of these albums, I genuinely enjoy and recommend all of them except for the two Glass Hammer ones.

I haven't had a chance to listen to their stuff yet, but I heard that Triumvirat is sometimes dismissed as a ELP clone.

Finally, the best example of a literal rip off band is probably the fake Deep Purple that toured during the early 80s.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 02:25
I'd say there are more ripoff bands now than in the 70s and 80s.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 03:29
I'd say both Adelbert Von Deyen ripped off Klaus Schulze - and Zanov to some extent ripped off Tangerine Dream. With great success I might add - especially the latter artist. 

Zeuhl-bands such as Eider Stellaire and Weidorje (plus a handful more) seem to have developed their whole sound from Üdü Ẁüdü-era Magma. 

Acqua Fragile is a truly awful Genesis-rip off from the RPI-scene.

All in all I think most 70's prog bands on a certain level of quality made an effort to carve out something of their own although its always easy to spot their influences.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 05:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

IndeedClap. Case in point: Wobbler's third album, Rites at Dawn, which might have easily passed for a Fragile/CTTE-era Yes album.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 09:47
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

IndeedClap. Case in point: Wobbler's third album, Rites at Dawn, which might have easily passed for a Fragile/CTTE-era Yes album.

Only it's nowhere near as good. Those guys are good players, but they come up short as composers. IMO, of course.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 09:56
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I'd say both Adelbert Von Deyen ripped off Klaus Schulze - and Zanov to some extent ripped off Tangerine Dream. With great success I might add - especially the latter artist.

When it comes to Tangerine Dream and  Schulze, their emulators are legion.

Bernd Kistenmacher and Patrick Kosmos released albums that could be mistaken for Schulze if one didn't know better.

The German band You are obviously very influenced by Tangerine Dream. They did evolve from their copycat scheme.  

Some of Steve Roach's early sequencer works emulate Schulze but then he became the Godfather of "ethno-ambient."
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 11:56
Triumvirat were an obvious emulation of ELP. The note patterns, the time signatures, the acoustic ballads..were all a simulation of ELP. Triumvirat I give much credit to for actually creating a style and sound of their own within all of that hogwash of emulation and as a result...some of their albums are very unique. In a sense, some of the songwriting and instrumental composition of Triumvirat was. (at times), a bit more interesting than ELP. But again, you might think that perhaps what you are hearing which sounds better or more interesting, is merely a different version of what's already been done by ELP.  Triumvirat were a bit smoother in tone ..yet the drummer , for example, did not literally cover the chops and technique of Carl Palmer. Their composition didn't require a Carl Palmer type sitting in on the drum kit. The music of Greenslade, Rare Bird, and Curved Air required skilled drummers and they had a certain distinctive dynamic style that differed from Carl Palmer's. Again it would be difficult to cover ELP's music , forming a tribute band, and becoming very tight during performances...let alone..attempting to emulate their style and dance in your own shadow.

Edited by TODDLER - October 05 2015 at 11:58
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 12:14

It's true
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 13:51
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Triumvirat were an obvious emulation of ELP. The note patterns, the time signatures, the acoustic ballads..were all a simulation of ELP. Triumvirat I give much credit to for actually creating a style and sound of their own within all of that hogwash of emulation and as a result...some of their albums are very unique. In a sense, some of the songwriting and instrumental composition of Triumvirat was. (at times), a bit more interesting than ELP. But again, you might think that perhaps what you are hearing which sounds better or more interesting, is merely a different version of what's already been done by ELP.  Triumvirat were a bit smoother in tone ..yet the drummer , for example, did not literally cover the chops and technique of Carl Palmer. Their composition didn't require a Carl Palmer type sitting in on the drum kit. The music of Greenslade, Rare Bird, and Curved Air required skilled drummers and they had a certain distinctive dynamic style that differed from Carl Palmer's. Again it would be difficult to cover ELP's music , forming a tribute band, and becoming very tight during performances...let alone..attempting to emulate their style and dance in your own shadow.
 Clap Couldn't have said it better, myself, Johnny.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 15:57
The Watch is the first band I think of when copycats are being discussed. I love Gabriel era Genesis as much as the next person, but this is just too much for me. I'd rather pop on The Lamb.
Don't take my word for it though; there are quite the number of old school Genesis fans who simply adore The Watch.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:16
As long as bands don't plagiarise others, I don't have any problem with them resembling other bands in terms of overall style or sound. I don't think bands like Starcastle or Triumvirat deserve to be called rip-offs or copycats. That's not very respectful in my opinion, considering what effort it takes to write and perform music like that.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:28
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

As long as bands don't plagiarise others, I don't have any problem with them resembling other bands in terms of overall style or sound. I don't think bands like Starcastle or Triumvirat deserve to be called rip-offs or copycats. That's not very respectful in my opinion, considering what effort it takes to write and perform music like that.
Well said.  I feel the same way.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The Watch is the first band I think of when copycats are being discussed. I love Gabriel era Genesis as much as the next person, but this is just too much for me. I'd rather pop on The Lamb.
Don't take my word for it though; there are quite the number of old school Genesis fans who simply adore The Watch.

I actually wish they were just a cover band, their own materiel is notably inferior to the Genesis songs they cover in their gigs.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

chazzaboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 16:36
Rip off bands To me they are tribute bands - they for some mysterious reasons are becoming popular by the minute.Australian Pink Floyd the biggest example - Just do not understand that - unless the fan base hasnt reached their 21st birthday yet
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 20:27
I asked for 70s and 80s rip off bands as they don't seem to be common. I know of PLENTY of them in the modern era, but that's no fun :)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 20:53
^ That was one of the reasons that time was so special; originality and artistry were at a premium, it was to be expected.  
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 21:18
Druid is often pegged as a Yes clone.  I quite like them though, especially their second album. 

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 21:57
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Only it's nowhere near as good. Those guys are good players, but they come up short as composers. IMO, of course.

If you think they come up short as composers try In Lingua Mortua, one of their avant-black metal bands. Sooooo killer.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 22:04
Eloy occasionally ripped off Pink Floyd, but it was more in certain passages before they would warp out into their own style.  Try "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes" to see what I mean.  But there are passages throughout Eloy albums very reminiscent of Floyd

Edited by kenethlevine - October 05 2015 at 22:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>