Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRenaissant for symphonic prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissant for symphonic prog
    Posted: October 06 2015 at 20:40
With Renaissance touring and only Annie Haslam as a long time member at this point, I've been catching up on the surviving members of the Renaissance Mach 2 lineup.  Terence Sullivan, the drummer, gathered friends under the name of Renaissant in 2004.  In addition to drumming, he sings on a couple of tracks and plays keyboards and guitar.  His wife Christine is the main vocalist.  Other contributing musicians are now late lamented departed John Tout from the classic Renaissance, Martin Orford, Steve Rodgers, Lee Sullivan and Alex Caird, while the Betty Thatcher contributes lyrics to 4 tracks.   While not big P progressive, this has a lot more symphonic prog credentials than the Renaissance albums that preceded it in the 1990s and early 2000's, being somewhat reminiscent of the Mach 1 revival band "Illusion".  It doesn't look like this have ever been proposed sop I thought I would start with symphonic prog.  The whole album "South of Winter" is on spotify, but here are a few samples

https://soundcloud.com/kenshawmediastreams/burning-bridges-by-renaissant

Edited by kenethlevine - October 12 2015 at 11:03
fudgenuts64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 23:31
I have this one. Going to see the band in two days at NJPAC, hoping it will be a good show. As for the record, I think I'll play it tonight. I got it quite some time ago but the vocals initially soured it for me, couldn't really get over it. Let me try it again and I'll chime in.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2015 at 13:37
Sounds more like Crossover to me.

BTW: His wife has a terrible voice

BTW II: Renaissance is in Symphonic not for tgheir later albums which are not even Prog IMO, but for their first wonderful albums

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 14 2015 at 13:38

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 03:23

Sorry Ken but with a no from Iván the door to Symphonic is closed.

I listened to a few songs from the album on Spotify and tend to agree that Symphonic is probably not the best fit for this band despite the "mother" band being there. I note also that Illusion is in Eclectic, so you might try with them. Otherwise maybe Crossover as Iván suggested.

I do not agree that the vocals are terrible, just a bit odd and with a certain charm.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - October 15 2015 at 03:25
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 09:45
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I listened to a few songs from the album on Spotify and tend to agree that Symphonic is probably not the best fit for this band despite the "mother" band being there. I note also that Illusion is in Eclectic, so you might try with them. Otherwise maybe Crossover as Iván suggested.

I do not agree that the vocals are terrible, just a bit odd and with a certain charm.

I don't believe Eclectic will give a yes

And I agree, the vocals are not terrible "per se", but in comparison with Annie's voice, it's almost a shock.

But again, if the rest of the team says YES, I will change my vote and abstain, so they could be added.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 15 2015 at 10:42

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 10:25
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I don't belierve Eclectic will give a yes

And I agree, the vocals are not terrible "per se", but in comparison with Annie's voice, it's almost a shock.

But again, if the rest of the team says YES, I will change my vote and abstain, so they could be added.

I agree with your assessment Iván, and we thus have two "No"s for Symphonic. And, yes, Eclectic will probably not accept this band either. Crossover is the best chance then, or even Prog Related?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 10:41

I don't believe Eclectic will give a yes

I agree with your assessment Iván, and we thus have two "No"s for Symphonic. And, yes, Eclectic will probably not accept this band either. Crossover is the best chance then, or even Prog Related?

As a fact, they are a perfect case for Prog Related due to the Renaissance connection

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 15 2015 at 10:42

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2015 at 14:17

Sounds more like Crossover to me.

BTW: His wife has a terrible voice

BTW II: Renaissance is in Symphonic not for tgheir later albums which are not even Prog IMO, but for their first wonderful albums

thanks for listening everyone.

Ivan, I'm curious where you draw the line between Renaissance symphonic and Renaissance not-prog.  If it's at the end of the 1970s, then the same could be said for MANY bands who had their heyday in the 1970s, but I see what you are saying. If it's somewhere before Azure D'Or, then I definitely can't agree.  

I think Illusion in eclectic seems very odd, and not sure how they got there.  They should be in either symphonic or crossover.  

How would I go about proposing Renaissant to crossover?  Just visit the crossover genre team thread and link to this?

I'm not much interested in the prog related genre unless it's a band that clearly influenced prog not the other way around

Anyone at least with me that "Carry me Home" is beautiful, whatever genre?  Those instrumental breaks are very moving, and I really don't mind the vocalist

Thanks again!

Tongue

Edited by kenethlevine - October 15 2015 at 14:22
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 01:10
Originally posted by fudgenuts64 fudgenuts64 wrote:

I have this one. Going to see the band in two days at NJPAC, hoping it will be a good show. As for the record, I think I'll play it tonight. I got it quite some time ago but the vocals initially soured it for me, couldn't really get over it. Let me try it again and I'll chime in.

Off topic but did you happen to go to the one where Moraz joined the band on stage?  Review please (post it in the live performance reviews section).  I am very curious as to (a) how did Moraz's solos on Ashes are burning work out and (b) how did the 'new old additions' (as, I think, the band themselves put it) viz Sounds of the sea, Song for all seasons, etc go.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 13:15
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Ivan, I'm curious where you draw the line between Renaissance symphonic and Renaissance not-prog.  If it's at the end of the 1970s, then the same could be said for MANY bands who had their heyday in the 1970s, but I see what you are saying. If it's somewhere before Azure D'Or, then I definitely can't agree.  

I draw the line in "Camera Camera", even "Azure D'Or" has some Proggy sound, very light but still Prog, as "ATTW3" in the case of Genesis

I think Illusion in eclectic seems very odd, and not sure how they got there.  They should be in either symphonic or crossover.  

Symphonic no, Crossover neither, IMHO it's Prog Relaterd

How would I go about proposing Renaissant to crossover?  Just visit the crossover genre team thread and link to this?

Yes, I usually do this, but in this case, I'm more inclined to Prog Related due to the connection with a Prog band.

Post Reply Post Reply