Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConservatory(?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conservatory(?)
    Posted: October 07 2015 at 11:09
More and more I'm thinking about what to do after I finished my high school, which is after 2 more years of school. My ambition is to go to a conservatory, making my living from music is really my dream. Though I also know it's pretty "risky" and definitely not easy to make a lot of money from it. Thta's why I'm doubting.

You know, I also can go to university, study something like economics and have a good job with more safety, but of course much less exciting...

So does anyone have any advice? I hope someone has done conservatory maybe? The main question is what one can do after it. Being a teacher at high school or (private) piano teacher is ok for me parttime, but if it's the only thing, then I think it won't make me so happy.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 04:07
You might need to explain what a conservatory is in the Netherlands, in England it's one of these

Edited by chopper - October 08 2015 at 04:11
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 05:07
'conservatorium' is a sort of university for music.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2015 at 13:29
The friends I have who studied music post-secondary are borderline homeless, and they are incredible musicians.  Unless you have a LOT of connection to do session work, you'll never make much money.  Record deals basically don't exist anymore - not for real musicians, anyway.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 15:55
I'd suggest studying a career that will get you a good job and study music on your own. I know people that never went to a conservatory and know a lot about music. You don't necessarily need it to learn music, on the other hand, if you want to be an architect, engineer, economist or whatever you kinda HAVE to go to college.   
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 16:09
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

The friends I have who studied music post-secondary are borderline homeless, and they are incredible musicians.  Unless you have a LOT of connection to do session work, you'll never make much money.  Record deals basically don't exist anymore - not for real musicians, anyway.

True, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go to music school.   If you're young and have the opportunity, it will only enrich you.   Sure you may never make a real living doing or teaching music, but you can still find something that is satisfying and music-related; sound engineering and design, broadcasting, composing for small but legit fields like children's television or scoring commercially, other things too if you're open.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply