Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor any Pink Floyd fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For any Pink Floyd fans
    Posted: October 09 2015 at 12:51
Persuade me that Pink Floyd is better than King Crimson and why

JFYI, I think both bands are faultless except for Seamus and the instrumental part of Moonchild..
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:59
KC have the edge musically, but are let down by lyrics and because of the changing line up, KC never got established and comfortable enough to present an entire narrative throughout their albums.
KC didn't have a "family" atmosphere in the band until Roger took over.
Fripp had already thrown out and caused the KC family to fragment.
Musically Pink Floyd never got the exact velocity of Lark's Tongues In Aspic, but KC never made The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon.
In terms of their 80's and 90's output, KC again are more technical. And I'm defeating my own argument.
I think it might get down to numbers sold with these two bands.
But although more Prog, KC just never had the global importance and support Pink Floyd gained.
Pink Floyd had the continuity and KC seemingly resigned themselves to getting to the point of a breakthrough, but seem to change and have long periods of inactivity (despite KC surviving Pink Floyd when PF broke up in 1995 or a year later).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 22:03
I could hardly persuade you that Pink Floyd is better than King Crimson, because I myself wouldn't be sure if I could say that. But I can certainly say that my favourite band of all is Pink Floyd. For me, no other band has a discography I can enjoy so completley, though indeed with Pink Floyd the first albums may have been a little bit more hit or miss, soon they got to the point in which I could enjoy almost every song from their albums (I guess from Atom Heart Mother and onwards)... of course, I do have my favourite songs, and my favourite albums. Besides, my two very favourite albums of all are from Pink Floyd too: Wish You Were Here and Animals. Pink Floyd can write beautiful music, with great atmosphere, emotional melodies, thoughtful lyrics and concepts, and their albums are great as whole pieces of music... often being the whole better than the separate tracks. I guess Pink Floyd is one of those bands in which "The Whole is greater than the Sum of the Parts works" rings so very true. None of the members could achieve by themselves the same level as the whole band... and even the band when it lost Waters lost an important part of it's whole. King Crimson doesn't really achieve such a level of enjoyment from their whole discography. They have few albums in which I do enjoy every song (mostly the debut... despite Moonchild, and perhaps Red would come close, but I don't like Providence either). And they do have some albums in which I actually only enjoy a few songs in them.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 22:10
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

but KC never made The Wall

this is a good thing
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 13:41
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

JFYI, I think both bands are faultless except for Seamus and the instrumental part of Moonchild..
Nope. I prefer Pink Floyd to King Crimson but music is not a competitive sport, nor is it a pissing contest. If you like King Crimson more then good for you.
What?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 13:52

Why should we?
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 14:14
I am a fan of BOTH. Music (and other arts) have 2 faces Objective and Subjective  (in GENERAL category). In the most optimistic case , we can persuade you in Objective case BUT No one can Persuade you in Subjective case. I wish you understand me with this so bad English!!!
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 14:28
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I could hardly persuade you that Pink Floyd is better than King Crimson, because I myself wouldn't be sure if I could say that. But I can certainly say that my favourite band of all is Pink Floyd. For me, no other band has a discography I can enjoy so completley, though indeed with Pink Floyd the first albums may have been a little bit more hit or miss, soon they got to the point in which I could enjoy almost every song from their albums (I guess from Atom Heart Mother and onwards)... of course, I do have my favourite songs, and my favourite albums. Besides, my two very favourite albums of all are from Pink Floyd too: Wish You Were Here and Animals. Pink Floyd can write beautiful music, with great atmosphere, emotional melodies, thoughtful lyrics and concepts, and their albums are great as whole pieces of music... often being the whole better than the separate tracks. I guess Pink Floyd is one of those bands in which "The Whole is greater than the Sum of the Parts works" rings so very true. None of the members could achieve by themselves the same level as the whole band... and even the band when it lost Waters lost an important part of it's whole. King Crimson doesn't really achieve such a level of enjoyment from their whole discography. They have few albums in which I do enjoy every song (mostly the debut... despite Moonchild, and perhaps Red would come close, but I don't like Providence either). And they do have some albums in which I actually only enjoy a few songs in them.

I agree with almost everything word by word. Musically speaking there were better bands than Floyd, but for me no one will ever be as amazing as they were as a whole. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 15:03

Persuade me that Pink Floyd is better than King Crimson and why.
By "why" do you mean "why we should convince you that one premier prog band is better than another prog band"? I don't think this question can be answered generally.

But ! ... if the question was "In what ways do you think have the Floyd excelled that King Crimson didn't?", then my answer would have to be this: ... Nothing I can think of. The Crimso were capable of writing melodies too, though it appears that melody was not a focal point for the group since they were more interested in exploring new possibilities within the realm of instrumental music.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 10 2015 at 15:06
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 17:28
Will somebody please persuade me that chocolate is better than bacon?
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 19:26

Those two bands can not be compared at all, as they are of two different genres; while King Crimson is progressive rock, Pink Floyd is progressive psychedelia.

Edited by Svetonio - October 10 2015 at 20:30
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 20:03
^ I'am with Svetonio... no need to compare. Enjoy both and stop overthinking. LOL
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 20:11
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Chemical compounds in chocolate trigger the release of serotonin and dopamine in the brain but unfortunately you cannot eat enough chocolate to get high, however, when bacon is cooked, nitrites react with amino acids and turn into nitrosamines, a known carcinogen and fortunately you cannot eat enough bacon for it to cause cancer.

What?
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 20:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Chemical compounds in chocolate trigger the release of serotonin and dopamine in the brain but unfortunately you cannot eat enough chocolate to get high, however, when bacon is cooked, nitrites react with amino acids and turn into nitrosamines, a known carcinogen and fortunately you cannot eat enough bacon for it to cause cancer.

ClapLOL
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 20:41
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Excellent post. I gotta get more into chemistry.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 20:55
Apart from lyrics, PF also had the edge on vocals.  I found Lake with KC as well as Wetton to be melodic but kind of bland.  Not necessarily their fault, they didn't have much to do whereas the vocals played a pivotal role in Floyd.  Especially Waters' singing, even if flawed, had so much flavour.  Musically, there is no contest, KC all the way.  Yes, they were helped by the line up changes in that regard but, really, if either of the Lake-formation or the Wetton-formation had hung around for more than just a couple or more albums, they would have unleashed more monsters anyway.  The phase in between actually didn't help KC.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:01
^ I totally forgot about the lyrics. Got so wrapped up in musical thoughts. I guess the Floyd has the edge.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - October 10 2015 at 21:02
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 21:03
I have no doubt at all many, many people think Floyd are better in every way.  Sales don't lie.  I lieu of empirical proof, wouldn't that answer your question?--
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:24
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Those two bands can not be compared at all, as they are of two different genres; while King Crimson is progressive rock, Pink Floyd is progressive psychedelia.

Actually, I sort of feel that early Pink Floyd (Pre-Dark Side, I guess) had a few similarities in their live aproach to King Crimson, with their added long instrumental passages and so. I understand there was a lot of improvisation in those early Pink Floyd concerts. Plus, they were really very experimental, just as King Crimson. Perhaps Floyd's musicians didn't have the same level of technical skill, but they did have ideas and put effort in what they were doing, and I wouldn't say even in those early stages they were inferior to Crimson, just used a different set of skills.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 22:31
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Apart from lyrics, PF also had the edge on vocals.  I found Lake with KC as well as Wetton to be melodic but kind of bland.  Not necessarily their fault, they didn't have much to do whereas the vocals played a pivotal role in Floyd.  Especially Waters' singing, even if flawed, had so much flavour.  Musically, there is no contest, KC all the way.  Yes, they were helped by the line up changes in that regard but, really, if either of the Lake-formation or the Wetton-formation had hung around for more than just a couple or more albums, they would have unleashed more monsters anyway.  The phase in between actually didn't help KC.

I'm not sure I would agree that Lake was inferior to Pink Floyd vocal-wise... at least not with my 3 favourite vocal-wise KC tracks: Epitaph, Court of the Crimson King, and Wake of Poseidon. Specially Epitaph is one of my very favourite vocal performances in rock and prog. And special mention should be given to Anderson on Prince Rupert Awakes. Besides this ones, indeed I like better Floyd singing. I do enjoy Waters singing a lot, and don't understand why he is so overlooked in PA, where Peter Gabriel is so much loved for his theatricallity and emotion, I feel Waters does both better... well, at least I do enjoy him better. And of course, Gilmour shouldn't be underestimated as a singe either... perhaps he is not the most flashy singer you could find, but there is a warmth to his voice that I can't help but love, and when he sings together with Waters they do compliment each other wonderfully.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>