FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Coffee Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Coffee Thread
    Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:17
How much is too expensive? How low the price indicates poor quality? How much do you get through in a day?
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2015 at 13:30
I used to drink four mugs a day. Then I had some bad anxiety and stopped for week. When I came back, I would just drink two max, but one most of the time. 

I like good coffee, but I can do with mediocre coffee, so I don't spend that much. There's a local roaster who's pretty good though, so I might start getting some from him. I make it with a funnel currently, but I might get a french press or a chemex.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 00:21
I buy the cheapest decent coffee, which is around 3.50€/500g.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 03:49
Coffee = migraine. I love the stuff but it don't love me back. I've even tried decaffeinated coffee and that also gives me a migraine. One thing I haven't tried yet is cold-filtered coffee... I am aware this is probably just a hip faddy thing but this is more of a scientific enquiry to see if there is a brewing technique that makes coffee that is migraine-free because I have notice that instant coffee gives me worse attacks than fresh-brewed while the strength of the coffee itself doesn't seem to make much difference.
As a result of that I drink it very rarely and cannot drink instant coffee at all. 

As I don't drink a lot of coffee I have a Bosch Tassimo machine so that is quite expensive per cup ... 16 pods = £3.99, which is 25p per cup. 

I think ground coffee is about £1.50/100g, which if you assume 10g per cup works out at 15p per cup. 

A £6.50 (190g) jar of instant coffee (such as Douwe Egberts) makes 75 cups at 8.7p per cup.

(as you can probably tell from the gms/cup, I like strong coffee)

Edited by Dean - October 10 2015 at 06:42
What?
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 04:01
I love coffee! Mmmmm...

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 04:31
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

As I don't drink a lot of coffee I have a Bosch Tassimo machine so that is quite expensive per cup ... 16 pods = £3.99, which is 25p per cup. 

I've got a similar machine which works out a similar price. It's good stuff and not that expensive when you think how much you pay at Costa etc.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 04:42
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I've got a similar machine which works out a similar price. It's good stuff and not that expensive when you think how much you pay at Costa etc.
The Bosch also makes tea and hot chocolate, though you generally have to buy the more exotic varieties online, which bumps up the price as the P&P is high. But yeah, still loads cheaper than buying in Costa and you don't have to suffer their ridiculously heavy cups.
What?
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 05:16
coffee is part of becoming an adult and a good way of nding conversating with stranger at cafees or inns.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 06:37
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

coffee is part of becoming an adult and a good way of nding conversating with stranger at cafees or inns.
I'm far too reserved to spark up a conversation with strangers in cafés and coffee shops, I'm happy to sit with my cup of coffee chai latte, a book and an ipod and immerse myself within myself as the world passes me by. 

Ah, the amusement of ordering a drink in a Californian branch of Starbucks where they can't understand my English accent:

Personally I'm not bothered by the cost of beverages consumed in cafés and coffee shops, it's not like I drink 10 of cups per visit so £2.20 for an Americano is not something that makes me think, Oh, I can brew ten cups for that price at home.
What?
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 07:02
Coffe blacker than Ethiopian Darkthrone that gets blown away by the wind when you pour it out, half a liter a day preferably.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2015 at 11:01
I have to raise my price indices since my daughter gave me that birthday present. I have been an avid coffee drinker from an early age. I use to drink 8 cups of coffee on a working day and I average 6.x in the weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply