Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDesperately Seeking Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 20:59
MAGMA, obviously

but seriously, Phideaux, in a big way, his last 3 albums, get em all
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 21:35
^ You'd have to be stupid to buy three albums unheard by an artist you aren't that familiar with.  Further, Phideaux is okay but not worth purchasing that volume of material for no good reason.  I wouldn't even recommend someone buy three Yes, Floyd, or Tull albums until they'd considered things carefully; we're talking good money for stuff you might end up giving away.   No.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 22:41
wow, such vitriol

apologies to any offended - i buy albums like that all the time, when i am looking to check out a band, ill usually buy 2 or 3 at once, since you never know what pieces may or may not click for you

i think all three of those records are stellar, and have alot of ear candy for those with something of a pop sensibility
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 22:44
I'm with you Gully Foyle. I have many albums that, when I bought, I wasn't a huge fan of. But tastes change and I was glad I held on to them.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 23:10
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

wow, such vitriol

apologies to any offended - i buy albums like that all the time, when i am looking to check out a band, ill usually buy 2 or 3 at once, since you never know what pieces may or may not click for you

i think all three of those records are stellar, and have alot of ear candy for those with something of a pop sensibility

You irresponsibly suggest to a member that they buy three albums by an artist they're unfamiliar with and I'm being vitriolic?   It is illadvised and you should know that.   This is his hard-earned money were talking about here, and no one should take it upon themselves to haphazardly steer someone into that.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 01:38
^ All those albums can be checked out for free on Spotify. I find it useful for 'try before you buy'. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 03:00
No sh*t, which is of course what the OP should do.  To urge anyone to purchase any more than what they can sample and sit with awhile without going through a roll of bills is foolhardy.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 06:47
Again, I recommend this because this is how I try out bands, I've found it a much better strategy, and cone to know and love more music because of it.

I also am very much against things like spotify, which exist to fleece artists in order to enrich a small coterie of software engineers. Buy the records, direct from the artist if possible.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 07:07
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

I also am very much against things like spotify, which exist to fleece artists in order to enrich a small coterie of software engineers. Buy the records, direct from the artist if possible.
Don't agree with this part. It's up to the artist whether they want to be on Spotify or not. And whilst it's true that the amounts Spotify pays to artists are derisory I can point to a whole bunch of albums I've bought after listening there first that I wouldn't have taken a chance on if I couldn't.

I do agree with buying direct from the artist where possible. Again, most artists on Bandcamp stream the whole album for free on there, so the notion of letting the audience hear the work without getting any payment as a shop window clearly works for many. Spotify can - to an extent - fulfil the same function.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 21 2015 at 07:18
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 08:08
Again, thanks for all the suggestions. 

i do understand the buy first thing. You likely will listen a bit more closely and be more involved in the music of an owned copy. (ie, as in my original post i believe, Steven Wilson's Hand..i bought pretty much to get free shipping, and listening in the car made the difference)

spotify is great, whether there business model is fair is another matter. however, listening at work to prog can be difficult to get 'into'

Thanks again!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 08:10
i've nothing against bandcamp

spotify and its ilk - and they often choose to put music on there whether or not they have permission, and also to attempt non-payment, or under payment of the meager fees they pay to artists.  seems like a model that might work for some bland pop megastar, but little wierd bands can't be skimmed without endangering their existence

folks can do as they wish, of course, but i choose not to 

i do still think buying several albums of a new artist at once is a great approach though

when i first heard about Univers Zero, i bought the first album, Ceux de Dehors, and Uzed.  I needed Uzed to lead me in after kind of bouncing on the first two, but they are all solid favorites now.
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 09:21
When I see the words "desperately seeking" I'm picturing Jesus in the desert for 40 days and satan offering him food and water... Jesus going "noo... Just... need... prog... rock..."
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 09:41
Fright Pig - Out Of The Barnyard

You might want to check out some of the artists on the 10t Records label.  http://10trecords.com/

3rdegree; Box Of Shamans; Heliopolis; Farpoint; Iluvatar are all good choices.  Frogg Cafe and Fromuz are also both excellent bands, although may not be what you are looking for as they are more technical jazzy instrumental based bands.
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 10:15
desperately seeking, i was going with a 'desperately seeking susan' thing. i've never seen that movie, but .. :D

Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 10:59
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

When I see the words "desperately seeking" I'm picturing Jesus in the desert for 40 days and satan offering him food and water... Jesus going "noo... Just... need... prog... rock..."
Somebody call Rick Wakeman!  There's a concept album here just waiting to be made.

Though in keeping with the theme, I think Satan should try to tempt him with...disco!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 11:14
Yeah. I see it. Satan's preferred method of persuasion: disco. Instead of Robert Johnson pioneering the early blues sound he went in an entirely different direction and brought us undying classics such as 'Brown Girl In The Ring' and 'I Will Survive'.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 11:20
^ And can't you just see the Bee Gees in red suits, with little horns and tails, doing Stayin' Alive?  Adorable!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 11:26
RPWL, IZZ, Fish, Conspiracy, Little Atlas, Galahad, Flying Colors, Eric Norlander, Pallas, DeeExpus, Egdon Heath, 1980s and 1990s Eloy (sorry, I know this isn't recent), Frost*, Kevin Gilbert, World Trade, Satellite, Lana Lane, Wetton-Downes Icon project (since you note Asia), Rocket Scientists, Saga, and Mostly Autumn seem like possible bands you might be interested. Prog with pop sensibilities (or the other way around depending on your point-of-view).
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 12:16
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

In this narrative, would Satan offer to turn "Seven Stones" to bread?

Then Jesus resists, calling to the "Watcher of the Skies"?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 22:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ You'd have to be stupid to buy three albums unheard by an artist you aren't that familiar with.  Further, Phideaux is okay but not worth purchasing that volume of material for no good reason.  I wouldn't even recommend someone buy three Yes, Floyd, or Tull albums until they'd considered things carefully; we're talking good money for stuff you might end up giving away.   No.

Well, I have done it, and I don't regret it, but perhaps I was just lucky. I don't remember if I did it with Banco, buying the 3 albums at once, or if I bought first one and then more... I think it was at once, but I had certainly not heard them before buying... oh no, I did have one album from them I had found locally before buying the next 3 ones. I also bought 3 or 4 (the best rated ones) VDGG albums without hearing anything from the band before... and with this one I did almost regret it... at first listen I thought I might actually at last gone too far with prog... but in the end I did find a lot to enjoy and love from that band. From Gentle Giant I bought first Playing the Fool... and I didn't really like it, so I was almost done with the band, but somehow I allowed myself to be convinced to give their earlier albums a chance and I did buy the first 4 ones at once, and I did like them much better (specially the first 2), so no regrets there either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>