Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich of these youthful ideals...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: Which of these do you still believe in?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [13.33%]
3 [5.00%]
23 [38.33%]
1 [1.67%]
2 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
9 [15.00%]
2 [3.33%]
5 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [11.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 05:55
Monogamy is ridiculous - the concept of legal marriage maybe, but monogomy suits me just fine
Capitalism must be abolished - all -isms are silly, there are no one-size-fits-all ideologies
There is no god - immaterial if there is or their isn't - gods are a redundant concept - we've managed to dispel belief in the majority of them, it's only a matter of time before the last remaining few are dispatched or their believers wipe each other from the planet.
Meat is murder - an emotional reaction that I couldn't care an less about. All food should be treated with dignity.
Nation states will go - nope.
Leadership is evil - people are evil, the love of power is evil.
Guns are evil - people are evil, the love of guns is evil.
My kids will never go to a private school - moot since she didn't; however I spent more money per annum paying for a child-minder to look after her during the day before she reached school age than the fees for a private school would have cost.
Only idiots smoke - I've met several idiots in my time, not all of them smoked.
All of them - no, not all of them
None of them - no, not none of them

What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 08:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Monogamy is ridiculous - the concept of legal marriage maybe, but monogomy suits me just fine
Capitalism must be abolished - all -isms are silly, there are no one-size-fits-all ideologies
There is no god - immaterial if there is or their isn't - gods are a redundant concept - we've managed to dispel belief in the majority of them, it's only a matter of time before the last remaining few are dispatched or their believers wipe each other from the planet.
Meat is murder - an emotional reaction that I couldn't care an less about. All food should be treated with dignity.
My kids will never go to a private school - moot since she didn't; however I spent more money per annum paying for a child-minder to look after her during the day before she reached school age than the fees for a private school would have cost.

A perfect encapsulation of my view - particularly the private school/child care one - the $ spent on daycare for two kids... Ouch
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 09:05
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

A perfect encapsulation of my view - particularly the private school/child care one - the $ spent on daycare for two kids... Ouch

Private school (I reckon) saved me money in the long run, because not only was my daughter able to skip a year of university (because of credits earned through her excellent AP classes and exam results), but her increased grades from a very reputable school and her increased test scores certainly paid off in scholarship money.  I probably invested $30,00 in five years of fees but saved closer to $50,00 in university tuition and costs.

I don't think they have AP (advanced placement) classes in the UK so this calculation only applies to the US.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 09:09
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Private school (I reckon) saved me money in the long run, because not only was my daughter able to skip a year of university (because of credits earned through her excellent AP classes and exam results), but her increased grades from a very reputable school and her increased test scores certainly paid off in scholarship money.  I probably invested $30,00 in five years of fees but saved closer to $50,00 in university tuition and costs.

I don't think they have AP (advanced placement) classes in the UK so this calculation only applies to the US.

Are you saying five years of private school for $30,000?  That's unbelievably cheap.  There is no private school in my area that's anywhere close except for Catholic schools.  Some approach $20k per year in tuition.

$6k per year would be an easy sell for me if the public school my kids went to sucked.  Fortunately for us, our public schools are among the best in the state.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 09:20

Are you saying five years of private school for $30,000?  That's unbelievably cheap.  There is no private school in my area that's anywhere close except for Catholic schools.  Some approach $20k per year in tuition.

$6k per year would be an easy sell for me if the public school my kids went to sucked.  Fortunately for us, our public schools are among the best in the state.

Three years of that was Catholic school (about $6.5 K a year) and before that 2 years of Montessori (about $6 K a year).  So $32.5 K in all.

Don't get me wrong, I always prefer a public education, and would have kept in her public school forever except that the schools were just awful. The classes were on a very low level, and there were constant lockdowns for drug searches.There were five girls in her 9th grade class who were pregnant, and they were all very excited to show off their sonograms.  The school provided a nursery for the babies of students, but sex education?  that had no place in the classroom.

In her Catholic school, on the other hand, they had to take the fake baby home for a weekend. I can't think of a better form of birth control.

Money well spent, in my child's case.  She had some great teachers and really learned a lot, so college was a breeze for her.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 09:52

I’m a bit surprised at you Dean; you seem to be a logical chap.  You’re looking at this one sided only.  It can also go the other way; the believers can change this planet into a utopia for mankind.  You need to think about all the numerous and great humanitarians as well as leaders that were devotees.   Don’t forget about benevolent and compassionate humanitarians such as mother Teresa as well as great leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:08

Three years of that was Catholic school (about $6.5 K a year) and before that 2 years of Montessori (about $6 K a year).  So $32.5 K in all.

Don't get me wrong, I always prefer a public education, and would have kept in her public school forever except that the schools were just awful. The classes were on a very low level, and there were constant lockdowns for drug searches.There were five girls in her 9th grade class who were pregnant, and they were all very excited to show off their sonograms.  The school provided a nursery for the babies of students, but sex education?  that had no place in the classroom.

In her Catholic school, on the other hand, they had to take the fake baby home for a weekend. I can't think of a better form of birth control.

Money well spent, in my child's case.  She had some great teachers and really learned a lot, so college was a breeze for her.

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, a good Catholic school is a no brainer compared to a sh*t public school.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:20

Back in '95 I think our local catholic school was £1200/term (i.e., £3600/year) for day-attendees, (now it's £3615/term ... which is £10,845/year or $16,755/year... you guys get it cheap!). Day-care was costing us around £20/day (i.e. £4600 a year). Because we both worked we had to continue paying the child-minder after our daughter started school so I would drop her off at the child-minder's house on the way to work and pick her up when I'd finished, for which I think we were charged£50/week. We paid for extra maths and english tuition (not Montessori but Kumon) but that was to cope with the dyslexia she inherited from me. Unfortunately we were unable to pay for her university fees but we paid for her rent (in London), 'phone, internet and rail travel plus paying for her food-shops once a month, (and my wife would sneak her special treats now and then, and occasionally top-up her bank account, that I pretend to know nothing about), so now she is lumbered with a student loan to pay off over the next 25 years, but that's not as big as it could have been. 
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:33

Back in '95 I think our local catholic school was £1200/term (i.e., £3600/year) for day-attendees, (now it's £3615/term ... which is £10,845/year or $16,755/year... you guys get it cheap!). Day-care was costing us around £20/day (i.e. £4600 a year). Because we both worked we had to continue paying the child-minder after our daughter started school so I would drop her off at the child-minder's house on the way to work and pick her up when I'd finished, for which I think we were charged£50/week. We paid for extra maths and english tuition (not Montessori but Kumon) but that was to cope with the dyslexia she inherited from me. Unfortunately we were unable to pay for her university fees but we paid for her rent (in London), 'phone, internet and rail travel plus paying for her food-shops once a month, (and my wife would sneak her special treats now and then, and occasionally top-up her bank account, that I pretend to know nothing about), so now she is lumbered with a student loan to pay off over the next 25 years, but that's not as big as it could have been. 

I was lucky to be able to stay home for the first four years, so saved those issues. My daughter was able to graduate with no loans from university. she will have some from her professional school but she will also be walking into a great paying job so they are manageable. I do hate to see students getting into debt, but under the current system it appears to be inevitable for most.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:34

Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, a good Catholic school is a no brainer compared to a sh*t public school.

Yep, even for atheists such as ourselves.  I told her just to tune out during the monthly masses.  She was fine.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:43

Yep, even for atheists such as ourselves.  I told her just to tune out during the monthly masses.  She was fine.
When she was very young my daughter came home from school very distraught because she had been told by a teacher that I would go to hell for not believing in god. I quietly explained to her that I couldn't go somewhere I didn't believe existed. When she asked where I would go when I died I replied that I didn't know, but as long as there weren't teachers, schools and homework I'd be more than happy.
What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:52

When she was very young my daughter came home from school very distraught because she had been told by a teacher that I would go to hell for not believing in god. I quietly explained to her that I couldn't go somewhere I didn't believe existed. When she asked where I would go when I died I replied that I didn't know, but as long as there weren't teachers, schools and homework I'd be more than happy.

Fortunately, my daughter didn't get that sort of nonsense even in Catholic school.  In fact, the Catholics at that school were much more respectful of her beliefs that some of the fundamentalist students at the public school.

One of her classes at the public school once had a debate on whether it was all right to display the Ten Commandments in the classroom.  The division was my daughter and one other girl against 28 other students.  She held her own and stuck to her beliefs, I'm very proud to say. Smile
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:54
I just discovered that university tuition in the UK is capped - how can we make that work here?  I would probably be able to pay for both kids if the costs were ~ $13k/year.  Our unbounded college costs and the crippling debt we are inflicting on our children needs to stop.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 10:58
The UK system is all public, that's the only way they can cap fees.  The mix of public and private in the States, coupled with the fact that each state runs its own public universities, makes that impossible here.

My husband is still mourning for the days when he got free tuition plus a stipend that paid all his expenses at the University of Bristol.  Damn fine education for free.  It's a shame that's not true anymore, on the other hand, it did severely restrict access to higher education so there are always tradeoffs.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:01

I was lucky to be able to stay home for the first four years, so saved those issues. My daughter was able to graduate with no loans from university. she will have some from her professional school but she will also be walking into a great paying job so they are manageable. I do hate to see students getting into debt, but under the current system it appears to be inevitable for most.
Alex was very fortunate in being offered a job just prior to graduation that was good from a career perspective but relatively low paid so she started work the week after finishing her finals. Now she repays 9% of her income over the £17K threshold, which at present barely covers the annual 0.9% interest charge on her loan. The system is broken and no one looks willing to fix it. Before we copied this student loan idea from the USA the old Student Grant system worked just fine. [I'd make the same statement about the NHS too].
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:05

Alex was very fortunate in being offered a job just prior to graduation that was good from a career perspective but relatively low paid so she started work the week after finishing her finals. Now she repays 9% of her income over the £17K threshold, which at present barely covers the annual 0.9% interest charge on her loan. The system is broken and no one looks willing to fix it. Before we copied this student loan idea from the USA the old Student Grant system worked just fine. [I'd make the same statement about the NHS too].

Oh dear, my apologies.  LOL  If there's anything not to copy, but to instead serve as lessons is what not to do, it's our education and health care.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:06

I absolutely agree with you, the old student grant system was fine, albeit restrictive. 

She's lucky to be paying .9% interest. My daughter's loans come with a 6.8% interest charge, a whole lot more than you pay here on a car or house.  Ridiculous.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:19
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

I’m a bit surprised at you Dean; you seem to be a logical chap.  You’re looking at this one sided only.  It can also go the other way; the believers can change this planet into a utopia for mankind.  You need to think about all the numerous and great humanitarians as well as leaders that were devotees.   Don’t forget about benevolent and compassionate humanitarians such as mother Teresa as well as great leaders such as Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

I am sure Teresa was a great person but not so sure about her followers.  Govt has recently insisted that adoption support must not be denied to single parents; if provided, it should be provided universally.  The Missionaries of Charity decided this was completely anathema to their Christian values and withdrew adoption support altogether.  Not the most spiritual or compassionate act, I must say.  I would not completely write off the scope for religion to heal.  But for that, it must reform itself...or should I say, be allowed to reform and do away with a lot of 'rules' that are simply incompatible with modern liberal values. Unless we continue to insist modern liberal values by themselves are abhorrent.... which is what hardliners in just about every religion seem to do and thereby end up using it more as a tool that punishes the supposedly non compliant.  Somebody like Gandhi broadly held the ability to retain God-faith without letting details of religious ritual and rules get in the way of compassion.  But sadly have to say people like him seem to be in a minority.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:46
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Ah, I was with you right up until you suggested that it also goes the other way, because after 4500 years, 2015 years and 1500 years of different versions of essentially following the same damn god it hasn't done yet and doesn't look like it is going to any time soon. The absolutely shi*ty deeds of the many by far outweigh the good deeds of the few.

And as for the Mother Teresa bit... not everyone thinks she was a saint, and looking at the evidence I'm inclined to agree with them. (I'll not rake that up here because it's not relevant and I can't be bothered getting into sl*g.ing-off a dead person, search and ye shall find).

Edited by Dean - October 16 2015 at 11:48
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:56

Ah, I was with you right up until you suggested that it also goes the other way, because after 4500 years, 2015 years and 1500 years of different versions of essentially following the same damn god it hasn't done yet and doesn't look like it is going to any time soon. The absolutely shi*ty deeds of the many by far outweigh the good deeds of the few.

And as for the Mother Teresa bit... not everyone thinks she was a saint, and looking at the evidence I'm inclined to agree with them. (I'll not rake that up here because it's not relevant and I can't be bothered getting into sl*g.ing-off a dead person, search and ye shall find).

Exactly, they have had far too much time to get it done and they haven't because they HAVE to quarrel so much over each religion's version of utopia instead of accepting there may be more than one path to salvation, if there is such a thing.  

An amusing but very annoying incident that happened in my wedding ceremony.  In Hindu marriage, the groom appoints one priest and the bride another and together they both cook up the wedding.  Since the bride's priest has more work to do, he gets paid more...accepted convention. Now, to my bad luck, the priest our family appointed (who has performed ceremonies for several of my relatives in the past) happened to be the father in law of the one my wife's family appointed.  G-Priest's ego was hurt to learn he would be paid much less than B-Priest and G-Priest chose to punish us by asking for more than what he had initially agreed for.  Left a very bad taste in the mouth, needless to say. As it is, I am a strong advocate of just getting a simple ceremony done at the registrar's office and throwing a grand party to relatives and friends instead.  Especially so in inter-caste/inter-religion marriages where trying to perform a traditional ceremony as per one religion is just tomfoolery imho.  Would have done likewise had my wife not been from a more 'traditional' family.  Maybe whenever my little one (there isn't one yet) gets married, I could persuade all concerned of the pros of my idea.  What 'sanctity' is supposed to be conferred on the wedding by the priest being there to perform it was robbed by his pettiness, sorry to say.

Edited by rogerthat - October 16 2015 at 11:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>