Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 05:13
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

^ Which ones? Smile

I only heard four of those, the first three and Voyage... and Transmission IV. I don't know them well enough to pick a favourite.

YHD, V34 and Recordings. Up the Downstair and Stupid Dream make up the rest of my personal Top 5.
The first two are indeed great, I seriously need to listen to Recordings. Up The Downstair is my favourite studio album, I have the original version on cassette Tongue Did you also attended to Steven Wilson's concert last month? Smile

Yeah. Bit disappointed with the setlist, as usual - I like about 80% of his body of work, he has a special knack to play live the 20% I don't like as much. Same thing happened in the previous PT concerts I attended.

Edited by Kotro - October 20 2015 at 05:15
Bigger on the inside.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 05:31

Yeah. Bit disappointed with the setlist, as usual - I like about 80% of his body of work, he has a special knack to play live the 20% I don't like as much. Same thing happened in the previous PT concerts I attended.
I guess you don't like his latest solo albums and "Metal phase" PT much? Ermm I wasn't much into the new album, but I started liking some tracks more, after the concert. I wasn't enthusiastic when he said the Portuguese audience loves Metal, I was right in front of him, so he probably noticed LOL Let's hope he'll play some early PT stuff next time.
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 04:33

I guess you don't like his latest solo albums and "Metal phase" PT much? Ermm 

Mmm. More or less. I like his solo work (I think the last one is his best since Insurgentes), but I don't enjoy ALL of it. For instance, he played "The Watchmaker" from The Raven..., which is the only song on that album that bores me to death (apart from the guitar solo). Also, he played "Lazarus" and "Open Car" from Deadwing, an album I love... except for those two songs. LOL So you can see, it's more of a weird coincidence rather than me not liking complete whole parts of his work.

Also, he had previously said he would be playing older PT material, and the oldest thing on the setlist was "The Sound of Muzak"... Not exactly what I would call "old". Tongue
Bigger on the inside.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 05:13
^ I don't like all of it either. From the ones he played there, it was a couple of tracks from the new album: the title track and "Perfect Life". I love every track from The Raven but "Watchmaker" seemed a bit strange without the flute solo. I never liked "Lazarus" either, it was the most boring song for me, but I like "Open Car". I bet SW chose all those tracks to mess with you LOL

It's probably old for him, how many albums did he release since In Absentia? Tongue I think Blundell was great on that one, he filled Harrison's shoes nicely Thumbs Up
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 07:43
Recordings
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2015 at 23:46
Voted for Recordings. I have,  by hook or by crook, heard and got the lot. (Wonder if the In Absentia demos will ever see official release - these are really something). But this album Recordings is the odd cast offs from Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. The material is so good it's like leaving Russia On Ice off Lightbulb Sun to give an idea. The rest are all interesting and experimental the underground phase of Wilson's (mainly) solo version of P Tree with Insignificance and Metanoia supporting the terrific Signify.

Recordings has a maturity, breath and depth that if not shadows, but places into context the supporting role of demo albums and compilations; even ones as good as these Porcupine Tree releases. All of which I'd crawl over broken glass to hear rather than (esp. the main CD of)The Incident.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 06:57
I just finished listening to Recordings for the first time and it's amazing! Why isn't this a studio album? Shocked I don't think I can listen to the regular version of Even Less the same way now Wink
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 21:48

I just finished listening to Recordings for the first time and it's amazing! Why isn't this a studio album? Shocked I don't think I can listen to the regular version of Even Less the same way now Wink

It is a studio album. The tracks were not universally accepted among P Tree at the time of Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. Then they were compiled for Recordings, a new album.

But yes, to me Recordings is an absolute highlight in a career consisting of highlights.

Wonder if the In Absentia demos will get an official release; there's some amazing (extended) material there.

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 07:55
Some great choices here.  The title track of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is my favourite PT track so that album gets my vote.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 08:10
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

It is a studio album. The tracks were not universally accepted among P Tree at the time of Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. Then they were compiled for Recordings, a new album.

But yes, to me Recordings is an absolute highlight in a career consisting of highlights.

Wonder if the In Absentia demos will get an official release; there's some amazing (extended) material there.
It's on the compilations section here, and rightfully so in my opinion Ermm

They are probably saving that for the "Super Deluxe 20th Anniversary Box Set", or some other fancy title LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12