Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands like Caligula's Horse and Karnivool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands like Caligula's Horse and Karnivool
    Posted: October 19 2015 at 21:19
I'm a fan of many forms of prog, but have hit a wall in discovering more modern bands. If anyone could let me know some of their great discoveries, it could be extremely helpful. 

For a reference some modern bands I'm a fan of are:
Caligulas Horse, Aracne, Karnivool, Fair to Midland, Being, Vola, Agent Fresco, Mercury Tree, Sumer, Whalerider, some Porcupine Tree, and Rishloo.  
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 11:43
Amazing how similar our tastes in music are right now.  I'm on that same tangent.  Caligula's Horse, Vola, Karnivool, and Agent Fresco are all finding regular play for me.

The only things I can think of to suggest along those lines would be Leprous, Circles, Eden Circus, and Skyharbor.  The singers for Leprous and Agent Fresco sound similar.  Circles, like Caligula's Horse and Karnivool, are also Australian.  Though Circles is much heavier than those two bands, they aren't totally far off.  Eden Circus mixes a lot of good atmospheric stuff in with some solid "riff rock".  Skyharbor's new single is just amazing, but I really enjoyed Guiding Lights.

I Am Giant is another band I've been listening to lately.  They're a New Zealand band, whose last album was produced by the guy who has worked on albums for Karnivool, Skyharbor, and Animals as Leaders.  I don't consider them a prog band, but I'm excited for their new album, because they have added the singer and guitar player from Exit Ten (a solid British alt-metal band) into the fold.  This is their single with the new members:

Might be a bit far off the path for you, but I enjoyed it.  
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 11:46
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62745
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 12:11
Outside of A Perfect Circle and Oceansize, not much of value in that link.  The last post was from 2010.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 12:29
I hope you've heard of Arcane. Same singer of Caligula but the band has a more prog style to their metal. 

Or something a little less metal in more in the vein of Karnivool..

There is a lot of bands in their style, I just don't know any by name. 

Edited by Horizons - October 20 2015 at 12:34
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 15:07
great! Karnivool, Rishloo, Caligula's Horse, Fair to Midland and Arcane are also favourite bands of mine!

I definately suggest Leprous, too - they are simply stunning and very unique!

(best band around these days!!! :D )

Soen might fit your taste

(the album needed some time to sink in.. but now I love them!)

Im pretty sure you already know them but in case you don't...
Tesseract:

Port Noir is also pretty amazing in my ears!

Katatonia, although not strictly prog is very decent, too :)

hope you find some inspiration and new music for you! and i will definately check out vola and agent fresco!

Edited by Mind_Drive - October 20 2015 at 15:22
It's just a ride... <3
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 15:53
Wow, nice call on Port Noir!  I'll be screening that further this week.  I can't get enough of stuff like that and Agent Fresco right now.

I'm digesting Dream the Electric Sleep, as well.  That melody on Utopic is really addicting.

Katatonia and Tesseract are also solid suggestions.  

You cannot go wrong with Vola.  I've had the Vola record for a few months now, and I can tell you, it doesn't get old.

Please keep the recommendations coming!  I'm not concerned with whether it's considered prog or not.  I'll listen to whatever.  

tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:02
Holy hell backtothegarden!! How the hell has Exit Ten been off my radar for so long?! Those guys are freakin beastly. I'll also keep an eye out for I Am Giant's new CD. I'm really diggin the Leprous. They're one of those bands that I've heard of and seen around but never really gave a chance, but since you said they sounded like Agent Fresco I finally did, and am glad for it. 

Port Noir will definitely get regular ear love time and Dream the Electric Sleep sounds like a solid find. 

Thanks everyone! Got some new great bands to binge listen to.
haklepola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:07
Great calls here! I would also suggest the obvious, HAKEN! And almost every band that played at the Euroblast 11 a couple of says ago. The amount of talent at this small festival was just outstanding....
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:08
Have you seen the music video for Port Noir's "Neon"?  Such ridiculousness!! Creepy 70's disco dancer on the dance floor alone? f*** yes they'll make a video about it!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:16
glad you like some of the suggestions! nice to see how productive such a little brainstorm of a few people can be :)

Originally posted by haklepola haklepola wrote:

Great calls here! I would also suggest the obvious, HAKEN! And almost every band that played at the Euroblast 11 a couple of says ago. The amount of talent at this small festival was just outstanding....

have been there :D it was incredibly awesome! I'll suggest Rishloo to them to invite for next year, this band would fit perfectly and they neeeed to come to europe!
It's just a ride... <3
haklepola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:21
Point Noir is also very good, very interesting.....at the moment I am playing Agent Fresco, a new find for me, very Leprous-like, but there is a lack of a "metal" edge that Leprous has. Album of the week for me is Bloom from Caligula's Horse - what a wonderful album.... 
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:26
Most definitely about Bloom being a wonderful album. It hasn't been released here in America, but soon I'll get my vinyl copy and all will be well. I was skeptical about the change in mood of their style, from gloomy to uplifting, but they somehow pulled it off extremely well.
haklepola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:32
I have to admit that I prefer Bloom to the Rivers End album but i don't know why. Perhaps Bloom is deeeper somehow, musically richer. It is still growing for me, especially "Daughter of the Mountain" an the incredibly catchy "hit" Turntail..... 
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 21:57
I'm sure once I'm able to listen to the album in its entirety, it will be right up there with River's End for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 11:43
I'm listening to the new Caligula's Horse record now.  I love the range these guys have - such chunky, kick drum heavy riffs, then seamlessly transitioning to lighter acoustic material.  Good stuff.

It's been a good week for discovering music - Port Noir from this thread, Zentraedi and Transience from another thread on this site.  

I decided to give the new Nad Sylvan album a shot on Monday, and man, it is good.  It's like what Genesis could've sounded like if the 80s didn't happen.  Now I'm going to have to check out some of his other work.

tbonson04 - Exit Ten's first album "Remember the Day" is pretty awesome.  Some crazy heavy riffs on there, contrasted by those clean vocals.  It's a little raw, but so many good ideas on that album.  "Technically Alive" is my favorite track from that record.  I love gallop/thrash tempo stuff.
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 20:09
I just got my copy a few hours ago and listened through a few times now. You can really hear how much they've matured as band in between just one album. Their playing is tighter and the sound overall is just more varied. It will take a little while to really digest the whole album, but so far its surpassed my expectations.  
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 22:16
People often talk about a specifically Australian style of alt-metal/heavy prog, the mainstays of which are said to be Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, The Butterfly Effect and Cog. I haven't heard much of them aside from Karnivool, but it's probably worth your time.
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2015 at 22:38
Most definitely. I love Karnivool, Cog, and Dead Letter Circus. Not a big fan of The Butterfly Effect though. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 10:19
Wow guys thank you for bringing up Agent Fresco! the new album Destrier has blown me away!
it took a while but hell yeah! their songwriting is a lot more epic then their sound is "cheesy" so it totally makes up for the overall very sweet and poppy sound. man! really fine recommendation, thanks :)
It's just a ride... <3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>