Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands like Caligula's Horse and Karnivool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 11:09
Agent Fresco and Port Noir were definitely some of the best recommendations I pulled from this thread.  Those two have accompanied Tesseract, Earthside, and Ne Obliviscaris in my playlists this week.

I've been digging through google play music and amazon, cross referencing bands like Karnivool and Caligula's Horse.  I've found a few things that I've put on the future screen list, but nothing I'm at the point of recommending yet.

.At least for me, the past two months have been great for music so far.  It started with that new Riverside record, and just kept getting better.
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 11:46
If you find anything interesting on your amazon and google play search dont be afraid to let us all know.
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 13:49
Okay, then.  

Note that I am not recommending these bands, but that they were found as cross-references in my Google Play search for Karnivool.  I'll leave some notes on what I found about each:

Floating Me - featuring members of Karnivool and Cog.  I listened to a hot minute of it, and it sounded a lot like Karnivool.  Not sure about the singer, though.

Melodyssey - groove oriented hard rock, maybe a bit of nu-metal influence (LD50-era Mudvayne, maybe?) 

The Butterfly Effect - sounded a lot like Dead Letter Circus to me, who I'm not huge on.

Sydonia - more hard rock, like Seether.

Breaking Orbit - I think I saw someone on this site recommend this band before.  These guys have that style that seems to embody the "aussie prog" sound coined by bands like Karnivool.

Jericco - didn't listen to much of it, but what I heard was good.  Driving, mid-tempo hard rock.

Vestascension - This was an unusual find, considering that all the other bands it was recommending were from Australia, and this band is from Baltimore.  Baltimore is about a 30 minute drive for me, so these guys really flew under the radar.  Moody, atmospheric prog rock.  Their album is free on bandcamp.

Setting Fire to Stacey - New Zealand band, similar to I Am Giant, 10 years, or Evans Blue (with the old singer).

City Of Souls - Same as setting fire to Stacey.  New Zealand band, influenced by 10 Years.  Brooding hard rock.

So it seems that Google sees Karnivool as more of a rock band than a progressive band.  The last two were recommendations from I Am Giant's twitter feed, so I knew what I was getting into with them.

What I usually do is make a list like this, and queue them up in Spotify while I'm at work.  If something grabs my attention, I'll look into it further.  Hopefully, someone will be able to pull something from this list.  As of now, I'm not even sure that I'm going to be able to.  Time will tell, I guess.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 16:32
Here are a couple more for you if you like the Aussie prog sound:
Sleep Parade (Melbourne)

Closure in Moscow (Melbourne)

Although already mentioned in this thread, here is a track from the now defunct Melodyseey (Brisbane)

Perhaps the best Aussie prog album in recent times, I really recommend listening to the latest album from Arcane (Brisbane). Watch these guys in the future.

Have a listen and let me know what you think.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 15:37
Of all the Aussie bands I found when digging through Google Play, Melodyssey is the best of the lot so far.  Distance and Regret has some great grooves on it.  I just recently discovered The Two Windows, their last one before they split.  Apparently, the drummer left to join Dead Letter Circus.  

I believe The Two Windows was produced by Forrester Savell, and everything that guy touches seems to turn to gold.  Dude's a genius, and he works with some of the best artists coming from that part of the world.  I discovered a lot of good stuff by browsing the list of albums he's worked on.

Floating Me was an absolute disappointment.  The vocals killed it for me.  Admittedly, the expectations were a bit high, considering it featured members of Cog and Karnivool.  Oh, well.

Still waiting for full-length releases from Setting Fire to Stacey and City Of Souls, but the singles are good.

Thanks for all the recs, deandob!
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 18:22
I'm with you on Floating Me. I was excited when I heard it consisted of Cog and Karnivool members, but then I heard the vocals. I don't know exactly what the singer changed from Cog to Floating Me, but it does not work at all.

Breaking Orbit is pretty good. They just don't have a cohesive enough sound to really sound great. Again, I think it's the vocals that ruin it for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 13:06
Have you heard Minora?  It reminds me a bit of that Aussie prog sound, though they are from Sweden.  The singer sounds a lot like Daniel Tompkins.  

They're on the same label as Port Noir.  After listening to Port Noir (and loving it), I went to their label's website to see what else might be good on there.  Unfortunately, Minora was the only thing that stuck out to me.  It took me a while to sift through that artist list, too.  The things we do to find new music...
tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 13:52
Very cool band. They have a great sound. 
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 03:17
Minora - thanks for the tip, agree they are similar to the modern Aussie prog sound and have a number of good tracks from their recent albums.
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 11:51
Kamelot has my highest recommendation.  Excellent band that you should be able to digest.  You may also consider Vanden Plas, Sieges Even, Seventh Wonder, Votum, and Subsignal.  All excellent!

Edited by javajeff - December 02 2015 at 11:51
buddyblueyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 20:36
Similar to Caligula's Horse:
Kingcrow (Eidos is a great album!)
Between The Buried and Me (the new Coma Ecliptic is stellar!)
Amoral
Intervals
Arcane Roots
The Contortionist (my fav of the bunch – the song arranging, chords and melodic lines, dynamics and textures are brilliant!).

Karnivool are special, though, and all bands I've heard being compared to them usually let me down by comparison. The first time I heard Vool was like the first time I heard Sting's Ten Summoners Tales some twenty-something years ago. Brilliant technical musicians playing creatively, not showing off, always supporting the main theme of the song and supporting the vocals in a manner that allowed the lyrics to clearly express their intent to the listener. The way Karnivool can weave texture, melody and unique chord structures together, with unique song forms, sets the bar above a lot of the current bands out there (IMO).

You may also want to check out:
Nothing More (Commercial. Great polished songs. Lyrical content close to the rebellious attitude of Vool.)
Voyager (more metal, but another great Aussie Band)
Jolly
Aeon Zen
Chaos Divine
Klone
Soen (if you like the Arcane suggestion, they are very similar sounding and I prefer Soen)

if you're digging the djent craze:

Special Providence (djent)
Scale The Summit (djent)
Pomegranate Tiger (djent)

Agree about Skyharbor & Vola (big thumbs up for those two!)
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 22:21
I just got the (new) Caligula's Horse, and the singer is sometimes a dead ringer for the singer in Haken.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 01:49
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

Kamelot has my highest recommendation.  Excellent band that you should be able to digest.  You may also consider Vanden Plas, Sieges Even, Seventh Wonder, Votum, and Subsignal.  All excellent!

Vanden plas and Kamelot sound nothing like Caligula's Horse or Karnivool. Neither does Seventh Wonder.
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 03:55
A couple more bands with the modern Aussie prog metal sound for you to check out not mentioned earlier in this thread:

Teramaze (Melbourne)

Anubis (Sydney)

Projected twin (Adelaide)

Unitopia (Adelaide) Older style prog but very polished.

I can dig up more Aussie prog bands from the '00's if anyone is interested.

Edited by deandob - December 16 2015 at 03:57
buddyblueyes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 23:44
Oh! – also, other great Aussie bands you may want to check out as well... unfortunately, tend to lean towards the growl vocals. Bands that are more groove/black metal, but crossover to PA's tech/extreme genre...

Northlane
Stories
In Hearts Wake

From France...
Erra

and the new Lithium Dawn kicks butt (and doesn't have the growls :) A great last minute addition to the 2015 "best of" lists.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 18:57
try Intronaut

Also don't get me wrong guys, but what's up with this New Wave Of Prog Metal? It's basically 50% djent cliches, 50% Justin Bieber to me
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 04:33
OK another one for you.

A new band from Brisbane, Guards of May - their debut album recently released and is a mix of prog, metal and alt rock. Very polished for a new band.

NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 07:34
Tough life being Caligula's horse, heaven knows what it had to put up with
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 12:49
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

try Intronaut

Also don't get me wrong guys, but what's up with this New Wave Of Prog Metal? It's basically 50% djent cliches, 50% Justin Bieber to me

Some of the labels that were specializing in metalcore in its heyday are signing bands that follow this formula.  Rise records is particularly guilty of this.  Pop vocals over top of unoriginal djent riffs.  Scream verses, sing choruses.  Breakdown.  Repeat.

I love djent done well (Tesseract, Monuments, Intervals), but I'm not into this new offshoot of the genre, either.

And yes, try Intronaut.  The new one really clicked with me, whereas their previous efforts did not.  
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2016 at 05:28
Oh my !! I just learnt, from a lass at my work, that Karnivool frontman Ian Kenny is from the commercial pop band Birds Of Tokyo (with that hideous 'Lanterns' song.......) - wow !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>