Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 12:47
King Crimson-I like the first 3 albums, but after that, they kind of lose me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 13:09
Isn't this just another way of asking which famous prog band you dig the least?

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Ali.A View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ali.A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 13:26
Pink Floyd easily
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 13:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Isn't this just another way of asking which famous prog band you dig the least?

Yes but you look cooler doing it this way.

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 13:37
I've never met anybody who actually likes ELP so I voted Genesis
snowsnow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowsnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 14:05
King Crimson beating off a strong challenge by ELP. 
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 14:05
First vote for Yes I'm afraid.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 14:43
Mmm, I'd say King Crimson or Jethro are the ones I like the least. But I love the six bands. For me it's:

1-Floyd
2-Genesis
3-Yes
4-ELP
5-Jethro
6-KC

I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 15:22
Originally posted by frankbostick frankbostick wrote:

It's obvious, so obvious: ELP.

Same---I mean I have some of their music but it hasn't held up for me like the others---but I prefer groups with a strong guitarist.Wink
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 15:27
It's not a Malmsteen solo but....

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 15:36
Oh, it would have to be 'Tull, wouldn't it? A spotty record (no pun intended) of some very good albums mixed in with some real dogs, all the while plagued by wild personnel shifts. Sigh. Don't get me wrong - A Passion Play is in my Top 20!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 15:41
ELP over Yes
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sublime220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 15:54
None of them are overrated. ELP and Jethro usually get some hate about being in the top tier. The others deserve the spot. The band I dislike the most is ELP but all of them are amazing.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 16:23
Originally posted by bj_waters bj_waters wrote:

However, I am curious about the idea of "The Big 6."  Is this a consensus of prog fans in general?  Are there no others that qualify?  Is six too many?

I also read about a Big 4 (which would be Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, and ELP) which i.m.o. makes more sense than the "Big Six" this thread is based on.

My personal choice would actually be a "Big Seven", consisting of Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Van der Graaf Generator.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 16:29
Originally posted by Skalla-Grim Skalla-Grim wrote:

Originally posted by bj_waters bj_waters wrote:

However, I am curious about the idea of "The Big 6."  Is this a consensus of prog fans in general?  Are there no others that qualify?  Is six too many?

I also read about a Big 4 (which would be Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, and ELP) which i.m.o. makes more sense than the "Big Six" this thread is based on.

My personal choice would actually be a "Big Seven", consisting of Genesis, Gentle Giant, Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Jethro Tull and Van der Graaf Generator.
When I first arrived here, it was references to the big seven, including Rush.  Europeans don't like Rush though or don't consider them part of the Big group because they were a few years later to the party.  I've also seen it as a Big 10, including VDGG, Camel, and Gentle Giant. 
bj_waters View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bj_waters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 17:11
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

When I first arrived here, it was references to the big seven, including Rush.  Europeans don't like Rush though or don't consider them part of the Big group because they were a few years later to the party.  I've also seen it as a Big 10, including VDGG, Camel, and Gentle Giant. 

Wow, TEN?  That's too many!  (Six is pushing it, really.)

I could see a Big 5: Pink Floyd, King Crimson, ELP, Yes, Genesis (I'm less certain about Jethro Tull's impact and legacy compared to those five).  I would agree that Rush is too late, like a second wave of prog or something.

Of course, this all leans quite heavily on the Symphonic Prog style (including 70s Pink Floyd), so it's probably not as representative as it could be, but if we want to talk about popularity, impact, and legacy and things like that, it would be hard to include other styles of prog.  (Then again, I consider myself a prog newb, so I'm probably wrong.)
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 17:27
If you're going to include Camel and VDGG and Gentle Giant, you might as well add in Magma and Caravan and Gong and Soft Machine and basically every other band anybody off this site has heard of.

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

It's not a Malmsteen solo but....

Greg Lake more like Greg Cake amirite
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 17:49
interested in ELP, but not as good as the others, so that gets my vote
Progrockdude
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 18:17
The most overrated band should be the one with the least votes. Think about it.
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cemego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 18:20
Asia should be in this list.
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>