Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 18:43
Genesis - highly rated and thoroughly deserve to be for making some of the best albums ever recorded.
Pink Floyd - done many outstanding and some pretty poor albums, but they deserve their high rating
Jethro Tull - undoubtedly a tier 1 band based on longevity and success, and they've made at least 6 excellent albums, so not overrated.
Yes - on the strength of several excellent albums, they probably deserve their high reputation.
ELP - Trilogy and the debut are worth a listen and BSS and PAAE aren't bad, but they are a bit overhyped.
KC - deserve credit for innovation and being at the very start of the genre, but I find their music horribly self-indulgent and pretentious. I did quite like the debut when it came out, but I now find them almost unlistenable except for a few tracks.

So KC get my vote as most overrated.

As for VDGG, they never had anything like the success to make them a tier 1 band in the 70s. They're far more popular now than they were then - but Peter Hamill's voice makes  them a no-go area for me.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 19:49
I think this list includes the big-6 of "progressive rock", not prog, which is a genre as it stands these days, not an approach to writing/composing/orchestrating music, so this might lead to some confusion.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 21:53
Nevermind, I should have voted KC. They are probably the most overrated even though I like a little bit of their stuff.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 22:15
for the perfect mix of meh music and insanely annoying vocals/front man it's got to be Genesis

Time always wins.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 22:22
Who is 'overrating' ELP? All I ever see is hate for them.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 22:45
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Many see it as hip to lash out against ELP.  Some cool kids who smoke outside the gymnasium told them it was so they submitted to peer pressure and it's now their reality.

Time always wins.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 23:17
my personal big 6 are Gong, Magma, Amon Düül 2, Hawkwind, VdGG and Can

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 23:18
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Many see it as hip to lash out against ELP.  Some cool kids who smoke outside the gymnasium told them it was so they submitted to peer pressure and it's now their reality.

I don't see it as hip, I simply just don't like them.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2015 at 23:18

Cool
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 00:02
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

King Crimson-I like the first 3 albums, but after that, they kind of lose me.

Same here. Of the six choices, they all have some some things I did not like but KC probably did the most that I didn't like. The others, not as much.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 07:17
ELP, IMHO
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 07:23

Ah because we don't like a band it must be because we are sheep not that we don't actually like the band, glad you explained that for me. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Terakonin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terakonin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 07:44
ELP, but all good.
You left a note in your perfect script
Stay as long as you like
I haven't left your bed since
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 08:12
None of them is overrated. All of them deserved their highest places in the hierarchy of 70s progressive music. Though, Pink Floyd weren't regarded as a progressive rock band but as a psychedelic rock band back in the day, and I say this as a big fan of the greatest psychedelic rock albums ever made, like Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Wish You Were Here and Animals.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manofmystery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 08:27
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Ah because we don't like a band it must be because we are sheep not that we don't actually like the band, glad you explained that for me. 

For my next trick maybe I'll attempt to explain what having a sense of humor is like.

Time always wins.
NutterAlert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NutterAlert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:45
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

my personal big 6 are Gong, Magma, Amon Düül 2, Hawkwind, VdGG and Can

Now that is a top list Thumbs Up
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 12:30
All of them have Albums that "I Love" and Albums that "I don't Like". I want to vote base on this formula :
(Number of "I don't Like" albums) /  (Number of All Albums)
I vote to biggest number of this formula. I count only Studio albums and Ignore other released. 

Genesis :         8/15 = 0.533
Yes           :     7/19 = 0.368
Pink Floyd :      5/15 = 0.333
Jethro Tull :     7/22 = 0.318
E.L.P        :      3/10 = 0.300
King Crimson : 4/16 = 0.250

And the final result is : Genesis (I vote to Genesis)
This is not a good way for answering to this question and if I vote from deep of my heart ,then I vote to another one.Wink

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 14:11
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

None of them is overrated. All of them deserved their highest places in the hierarchy of 70s progressive music. Though, Pink Floyd weren't regarded as a progressive rock band but as a psychedelic rock band back in the day, and I say this as a big fan of the greatest psychedelic rock albums ever made, like Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Wish You Were Here and Animals.

Yes they most certainly were. They were one of THE archetypal progressive rock bands in the late 60/early 70s on the London scene. I should know - I was there.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 14:40
Definitely Pink Floyd, for the reasons (not limited to) above.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2015 at 16:52
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

How can you mention Animules and not Dark Side of the Moon? For shame, sir, for SHAME!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 23>