Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 19:24
I thought I had missed a Dean post upstream perhaps. LOL

team ELP? Damn right. We rule and have the hottest chicks..

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 19:52
Micky, following through on your logic, KC were never that big (despite me loving them) so your down to a big 2, stack up Yes & ELP and it's a no contest smack down, so we have a Big One, YES! That's it case closed.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:02
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Micky, following through on your logic, KC were never that big (despite me loving them) so your down to a big 2, stack up Yes & ELP and it's a no contest smack down, so we have a Big One, YES! That's it case closed.

for sure.

Yes is head and shoulders above everyone.  Pretty much anyone and anything comprehensive (and even those not so) will state Yes was the definative prog band.

K.C v. E.L.P.  that is a tough call man. Overall impact,  ELP defintely. What single insturment defines prog rock, the keyboard and just how the keyboard is used. Not laying down chords but stepping up as a lead.  ELP is to keyboards what keyboards are to prog.  Case closed there, even taking into account the overblown claim that K.C were the first prog band, had the first  true prog album.  We know that The Nice satisfied both a year earlier.  While ELP were far more popular and yes.. influential back then,  it doesn't take long here at PA's screening bands to know K.C. is far more influential today.  I'd consider popularity a draw.  Longevity and creativity?  I do think the Wetton years very much overrated, but think their true creavity mark was in their late 70's early 80's stuff when ... 'the wart' (full credit to my man Hercules on that one) came on and helped steer prog beyond the same old same old symphonic or just noodling kind of prog. Made it fresh, took it a large and new set of influences.  ELP? Love them as I do, were a one trick symphonic rock kind of band.  I'd give K.C the edge there, big time in creativity.

I'd give the very slight edge to K.C over ELP for the #2 slot if someone had a gun against my head I suppose.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:08
As long as we all agree that Yes comes in head and shoulders above all the others, you can debate slots 2 through 6 as much as you like. Who really cares about the bronze medal, aside from the mother of the one who wins it?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:09
"Who is hotter - Greg Lake or Micky?"

are those really the only two choices?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:12
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

pfff...  like it really a choice. LOL I'd have nailed an early 70's greg lake.. but only if Carl Palmer turned me away.  Damn that man was smokin hot. 

so yeah.. give ELP a extra bump for hottest group of the big 3. Even with Emerson LOL
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:19

As long as we all agree that Yes comes in head and shoulders above all the others, you can debate slots 2 through 6 as much as you like. Who really cares about the bronze medal, aside from the mother of the one who wins it?

Meh. Yes had three really superlative albums in a row, The Yes Album, Fragile (Fra-gee-lay, their Italian album) and Close to the Edge. There is a lot of dicking around and endless noodling in TFTO and Relayer, and they lost much of the melodic nature of their earlier albums. They came back with Going for the One, only to lay an egg or tomato thereafter.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

pfff...  like it really a choice. LOL I'd have nailed an early 70's greg lake.. but only if Carl Palmer turned me away.  Damn that man was smokin hot. 

so yeah.. give ELP a extra bump for hottest group of the big 3. Even with Emerson LOL

Okay, but hotness only. Still bronze medal for everything else.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Meh. Yes had three really superlative albums in a row, The Yes Album, Fragile (Fra-gee-lay, their Italian album) and Close to the Edge. There is a lot of dicking around and endless noodling in TFTO and Relayer, and they lost much of the melodic nature of their earlier albums. They came back with Going for the One, only to lay an egg or tomato thereafter.

man, you're cranky today.  For all its flaws, TFTO is brilliant, f*cking brilliant.  Relayer contains Gates of Delirium, and all the cha-cha-chas in the world can't diminish that achievement.

Tormato I have no intention of defending, but six incredible albums in a row is a streak that I defy any other of the "big six" to match.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:26

man, you're cranky today.  For all its flaws, TFTO is brilliant, f*cking brilliant.  Relayer contains Gates of Delirium, and all the cha-cha-chas in the world can't diminish that achievement.

Tormato I have no intention of defending, but six incredible albums in a row is a streak that I defy any other of the "big six" to match.
I'm not cranky, I'm just being contrary for argument's sake. Angry
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:27

With insufficient employment of emoticons, it's difficult to tell the difference.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 20:45

With insufficient employment of emoticons, it's difficult to tell the difference.

I will say, to further aggravate Micky, that from 1969 to 1979 Tull was consistently great, particularly Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick,  Living in the Past, A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses. And even the average ones like War Child, Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll and Storm Watch had some superb tunes. That is a remarkable stretch of worthwhile releases when you realize they were cranking out so many albums in that decade.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 22:24

I will say, to further aggravate Micky, that from 1969 to 1979 Tull was consistently great, particularly Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Thick as a Brick,  Living in the Past, A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Songs from the Wood and Heavy Horses. And even the average ones like War Child, Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll and Storm Watch had some superb tunes. That is a remarkable stretch of worthwhile releases when you realize they were cranking out so many albums in that decade.

Excellent point about Tull......they had a better run of quality albums than anyone else technically speaking.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 00:17

But those three are pure gold. And TFTO, Relayer and Going for the One have superb moments, GFTO is great from beginning to end. Magnification deserves a mention as well.

Tull had a very consistent run as mentioned above, but personally only Thick as a Brick is a masterpiece, and to a lesser extent Aqualung. Stand Up, Benefit, Heavy Horses, Stormwatch, Songs From the Woods are all very good and consistent albums, but not brilliant imo.

Most consistent band for me is Floyd. Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, The Piper, The Division Bell, The Wall, The Endless River, Obscured by Clouds all range from very good to superb. And I don't count More because the second half has some gibberish for the movie.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Frosted Celt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frosted Celt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2015 at 09:32
Genesis
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 17:23
This one is hard, it depends solely on how we understand the term 'overrated'. I don't think it's another way of saying 'least favorite', but rather the one who got the most undeserved love from fans... or something in this manner.
Since 'The Dark Side of the Moon' sold probably more copies than sum all other bands put TOGETHER, I go with Pink Floyd. Especially since DSotM isn't nearly as adventurous and memorable to me as 'Foxtrot', 'Thick as a Brick', 'Close to the Edge' etc.
Of course I really dig Pink Floyd and I'm happy for their success, but their most famous works aren't as good as some other albums with far less recognition. And they're not that progressive to begin with Wink 

And yes, ELP has the worst longevity since they were basically done as masters of prog rock after 4 LPs and a live album (Pictures at an Exhibition). Compare that to Jethro Tull whose 15th best album is still NICE. But I don't think they're that overrated since nobody talks about them these days. Maybe their music doesn't age so well.
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 19:12

King Crimson

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 20:03
If anything, I'd say all six bands are extremely underrated in the grand scheme of things. They are the foundation of the genre and a big part of why this site exists.

IMNSHO, the level of creativity displayed by each of those bands is the type of thing people should aspire to - not the repetitive, formulaic, brain-deadening drivel that marketers unapologetically shove down the throats of the masses. 

Those b*****ds should be placed in solitary confinement and forced to listen 24/7/365 to nothing but Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey, and Donnie Osmond for the rest of their lives! Oh, the inhumanity!
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2015 at 20:06
OMG! The b*****ds running this site censored my use of the word, b*****ds!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 09:14
The b!"£$%^s!  I agree with the overall sentiment - those bands are (more or less) why PA exists!  At some stage (with the exception of KC, as for Genesis - part prog/post-prog) they all had number one albums which made them 'highly rated' indeed!  As ever, a lot of cheap shots at ELP but then again, that's always been the case!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 23>