Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 09:26
Ok, I must say that I like many things of KC, but I feel that this music lacks from feeling (not all of course but as majority) and you are right, my opinion is subjective of course, that's the point in polls. Trying to be objective, I must recognize that KC has their own style, and made many innovations and additions in prog rock history. But the truth is that FOR ME they are overrated as artists. What I do not understand is how many people say things much more hard to other bands (Genesis is the main example, or maybe ELP) and I can not give my opinion on King Crimson...are they a dogma? sincerely I do not understand the point.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 09:33
Originally posted by genbanks genbanks wrote:

Ok, I must say that I like many things of KC, but I feel that this music lacks from feeling (not all of course but as majority) and you are right, my opinion is subjective of course, that's the point in polls. Trying to be objective, I must recognize that KC has their own style, and made many innovations and additions in prog rock history. But the truth is that FOR ME they are overrated as artists. What I do not understand is how many people say things much more hard to other bands (Genesis is the main example, or maybe ELP) and I can not give my opinion on King Crimson...are they a dogma? sincerely I do not understand the point.

You’re free to voice your opinion about any band you want just as I’m free to tell you that I disagree with it. ELP gets dumped on because they’re inconsistent. They made a few great albums (Brain Salad Surgery and their self-titled debut being my favorites), but, other than these two albums, I fail to connect with them. My disagreement with you over King Crimson should come as no surprise since so many of us consider them a part of the cream of the crop. Also, I don’t see many here being hard on Genesis. In fact, I see quite the reverse. Genesis are, without a doubt, one of the greats and one of my personal favorites.
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 10:26
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

You’re free to voice your opinion about any band you want just as I’m free to tell you that I disagree with it. ELP gets dumped on because they’re inconsistent. They made a few great albums (Brain Salad Surgery and their self-titled debut being my favorites), but, other than these two albums, I fail to connect with them. My disagreement with you over King Crimson should come as no surprise since so many of us consider them a part of the cream of the crop. Also, I don’t see many here being hard on Genesis. In fact, I see quite the reverse. Genesis are, without a doubt, one of the greats and one of my personal favorites.

Look Mirror, on my last post I was not answering to you, and I think your last post is nice and I appreciate it. Im not against disagreement, and I said this in my first post, how to be? if it is in the essence of freedom, the biggest value for human being IMO...But Im very conscious that KC is one of the more (or mainly the most) appreciated band here in PA (mainly to the older members I guess), and was not my intention to be disrepectful, and if I was, I apogologise. About Genesis, Im talking about it as an overall thing in PA (mainly after Gabriel or Hackett departure...in fact Hackett is for me another overrated artist, despiting I like and love several things from him), but  again it is just freedom of opinion. This year Im in a slow journey to revisit early KC albums, I was with Islands last months, and sincerely I found some great moments, but again I cant find this "sacred" special thing I can find on the first album. But I like Islands, really like many  moments. Anyway what Im saying about, and the overrated issue, can be read aside of objective truths (or guessed objective truhts)...I know KC is on the very roots of Progressive Rock, I know Fripp as an innovator, Brufford as a virtuous..., maybe my subjectivity is running by different paths that objectivity in this case, I accept this.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 10:43
Should I vote according to how much I subjectively  like (or not) the band?  or who I perceive to be not quite as good musically or maybe nor as influential as the other?
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 10:59
Easy - has to be ELP.  I can never understand why they are considered one of the "Big Six".

They're certainly not in my "Big Six" when there are much better prog bands out there.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 11:05

Look Mirror, on my last post I was not answering to you, and I think your last post is nice and I appreciate it. Im not against disagreement, and I said this in my first post, how to be? if it is in the essence of freedom, the biggest value for human being IMO...But Im very conscious that KC is one of the more (or mainly the most) appreciated band here in PA (mainly to the older members I guess), and was not my intention to be disrepectful, and if I was, I apogologise. About Genesis, Im talking about it as an overall thing in PA (mainly after Gabriel or Hackett departure...in fact Hackett is for me another overrated artist, despiting I like and love several things from him), but  again it is just freedom of opinion. This year Im in a slow journey to revisit early KC albums, I was with Islands last months, and sincerely I found some great moments, but again I cant find this "sacred" special thing I can find on the first album. But I like Islands, really like many  moments. Anyway what Im saying about, and the overrated issue, can be read aside of objective truths (or guessed objective truhts)...I know KC is on the very roots of Progressive Rock, I know Fripp as an innovator, Brufford as a virtuous..., maybe my subjectivity is running by different paths that objectivity in this case, I accept this.

I think you’re clearly making a mountain out of a molehill here. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on, shall we?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 11:47

I think you’re clearly making a mountain out of a molehill here. Let’s just agree to disagree and move on, shall we?

Of course!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 21:53

I said...it is just my opinion...nobody needs to agree. I dont think my comment about the coldness of Fripp music is absurd. I have several albums of KC and i know what i was saying. They have good things but for me they are overrated. You are right about Wetton Brufford etc musicianship...Fripp LETS them to improvise..you said the word...First album was different maybe because McDonald i dont really know but i can feel a deep thing there that i cant find after it (with some exceptions of course). Anyway it is just my opinion..a subjective one not a truth.

I guess I partially agree... and partially disagree. I understand where you are coming from... about the coldness, yeah, there's a lot of it in their albums. But often enough, that's one of the factors that helps them make great music, if you're in the mood. Still, there are several examples of very emotional music from them after their debut (though perhaps Epitaph, from the debut, would be their best example at writing something really emmotional). However, I would easily add "King Ruppert Awakes / Bolero" (specially for Bolero) for something very emotional (and actually, different from whatever else they have done), and Exiles... and Starless, which was already mentioned. As for repeating themselves... actually, sometimes I have the feeling they built most of their career around 21s Century Schizoid Man... and then Larks Tongues in Aspic (or perhaps more accuratley, Sailor's Tale, since that one came first). But they usually have something new within their albums for a change.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2018 at 22:30
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Should I vote according to how much I subjectively  like (or not) the band?  or who I perceive to be not quite as good musically or maybe nor as influential as the other?
To me it´s just doesn´t make any sense to vote in this kind of thread just what one likes and not like. When talking about some band is overrated I think you have to think also how´s that band influenced into genre it´s in or of course whole popular music.

I voted ELP just because those others did everything much better than ELP. ELP didn´t make first progalbum. They didn´t make any particural, personal experiments in their albums, also their music just didn´t develop into any new direction from the first album. What they gave to prog was ,melodic songs of Lake and sometimes really irritated egoraising improvisations of Emerson (I also think he´s taste of synth sounds was awful). But still, I can listen them sometimes, really not hate them. I just think if some progband is overrated, it is ELP, just because they got much more attention than many other progbands in seventies that made much greater albums.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 23:27
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^^ To be fair, Emerson, Lake and Palmer were never darlings of prog listeners and I don't think that they are that great either but they certainly are not as overrated as say King Crimson.I mean King Crimson are so overrated it's not funny. People here seem to slobber over In the Court of the Crimson King and Red. I mean those records aren't bad perse but they really pale in comparison to the best Yes, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator and Gentle Giant albums. Wow! It's not even a contest really

Yes..and some other people 'slobber' over VDGG......isn't life weird?

;)

Life is very weird indeed

;)

King Crimson overrated?! Are you trying to start a war on PA?! LOL (I almost did the same with my DSoTM thread).

Yes, Crimson are overrated by Prog Archives and Prog Fans alike.
King Crimson is not overrated. it´s just you who have problem with that Crimson is great band and you don´t understand it. Hope you someday understand that fact and stop terrorizing every Crimson thread.

Terrorizing?? WTF???

Wow! The butthurt for an opinion is real 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 23:29

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^It's ok ....he's just  sore because The Graf have lost so many polls lately.

LOL

What'd VDGG get, like 1 victory out of 6 polls?
As far as I know he has done his Crimson terror for years here (I think he quite recently said he has written very negative review from in the court of, really haven´t read it and I will not). But not really my problem, if he like to be the idiot of this place, just keep going on.

Clap

Shaking my head 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 23:35

^^Those King Crimson opinions is sounding to made from a guy who hasn´t really listened Crimson. Sounding more of that there is something in Fripp as a person that irritates. Have to say I am not interested any band that someone is thinking they´re "Gods of it". I could think Dream Theater guys would think themselves prog gods.

Again, I am not saying everybody has to like King Crimson, but it´s sad when these "Overrated"-threads people are saying their opinions just their subjective views, not even trying to make some objectivity in them.

Heere weeeeee gooo...

Shaking my damn head 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 23:43
I think people need to get over the member who said that King Crimson were ‘overrated’, I know I have at this point. I disagreed, but I’ve moved on and so should everyone else. We all have a right to our opinions no matter how ‘wrong’ they may seem to other people.

Edited by Mirror Image - June 03 2018 at 23:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2018 at 23:48
^^^ Exactly

Nice seeing you again John Smile
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirror Image Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 08:17

^^^ Exactly

Nice seeing you again John Smile

Nice to see you again as well! Cool
genbanks View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2018 at 19:09
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

... actually, sometimes I have the feeling they built most of their career around 21s Century Schizoid Man... and then Larks Tongues in Aspic (or perhaps more accuratley, Sailor's Tale, since that one came first). But they usually have something new within their albums for a change.

Interesting point, I think that I agree with this...Yes, if I try to see KC music under Yin Yang concept, I think that maybe it lacks a bit of Yin, not in the first album, but maybe on the others, specially since Lark tongues (I say maybe because Im not sure, but there is some statement from Bill Brufford out there that make me think this. I have it somewhere...) And as you say, 21th Century Schizoid is for me the Yang of In the court...and yes since that they seem to evolve from this, mainly since Larks Tongues
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 02:22
^I think definitely their after seventies stuff lacks Yin, but there are many Yin songs also in the seventies Bruford-period (for example Book Of Saturday, Exiles, the Night Watch, Trio, Fallen Angel, Starless).

Edited by Mortte - June 05 2018 at 02:23
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 02:44

Pink Floyd, followed by King Crimson.

ELP is underrated, if anything, especielly here on PA. They only have one album in the top 100, at place 68 currently (and not even their best album).

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 02:50
I'll be the boring guy that repeats himself and here I go:

None of these bands are overrated. 
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 04:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I'll be the boring guy that repeats himself and here I go:

None of these bands are overrated. 

Maybe some of their albums are, but I don't see something wrong with the Big Six neither.

Now, about Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater... Evil Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 23>