Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 05:17
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I'll be the boring guy that repeats himself and here I go:

None of these bands are overrated. 

Maybe some of their albums are, but I don't see something wrong with the Big Six neither.

Now, about Porcupine Tree or Dream Theater...

I don't find them overrated either. 

DT is a band that sadly, in my opinion obviously, has been going downhill in recent years and their last album was terrible. They announced they are working on a new album, but my expectations are low. 

PT gets some hate here on PA, I've always found their music interesting. :)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 08:47
^When looking at the big picture it's probably true that none of these bands are truly overrated....since many votes have been cast from various sources here at PA and other places to give a rounded view . I do think that the hard core fans of certain bands certainly overrate their favorites.

Regarding DT and PT....(that rhymes btw....;)) I have never cared for DT's brand of metal prog, but I do like PT's psych/prog/electronic ambient approach that Wilson blended quite well imho.

btw...I was not aware till just recently, that the name Porcupine Tree was a joke on psychedelic band names..Wilson wanted something weird for what started out as a 'joke band' for fun   ....according to sources and Wilson's own comments.

Edited by dr wu23 - June 05 2018 at 08:50
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2018 at 10:18

I'll be the boring guy that repeats himself and here I go:

None of these bands are overrated. 
I agree, specially these days.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2018 at 18:13
^Too right, mates.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 02:30
What's over rated mean? Too many people like 'em? Oh no, say it ain't so.

Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:17
I don't think any of them are overrated... as long as we just focus on their classic period and ignore when they jumped the shard, which they all did to some degree (although Genesis more so than the others).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 21:45
^ For me, Pink Floyd never did jump the shark, though they did have a notable change of sound after Waters left (as well as after Syd left, and then between Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon too). The Division Bell is actually among my favourite Floyd albums.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 22:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ For me, Pink Floyd never did jump the shark, though they did have a notable change of sound after Waters left (as well as after Syd left, and then between Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon too). The Division Bell is actually among my favourite Floyd albums.

Yeah, they just mellowed down in the last couple of albums but the sound was still identifiable as Floyd and the albums weren't without their fine moments.
smoledman View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoledman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 10:48
ELP was the best of them, but burned out quickly. They were essentially done after the Works tour in 1978. TBH, the fact that Greg Lake started needing lyric help as early as Brain Salad Surgery wasn't a good sign.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 10:55
Among the Prog Archives Crowd, I'd say Genesis is the most overrated. 
Three Genesis albums sit in the PA top 15.  Whereas, ELP highest rated album ranked 85.  

I listen to Genesis and ELP equally.  I listen to the other four more.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 29 2023 at 14:17
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 11:00
None of the above.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 11:32
The problem is not the overestimation of one of these bands. 

The problem is the absence of Van der Graaf Generator.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 11:45
My personal opinion is that PA-members who are using the "O"-word or the "U"-word in a thread title should be permanently banned and every post using these words automatically deleted. I haven't gone through the 17 pages of silliness of this thread, but it can only be extremely silly overall, and without reading it, if not deleted this kind of thread should at best be in the "Just for fun" section. Approve Stern Smile Ermm

Now, why would there be a disputable Big Six instead of an obvious Big Five? Wacko (Oh, no, I'll leave...)

Clown

Edited by suitkees - April 29 2023 at 11:51

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 11:49
Pink Floyd. Not that they are bad or anything but I just think compared to the others they are overrated. Think of it this way. They are probably the only prog band that most people outside of prog circles have even heard of (or at least the most number of people).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 11:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Pink Floyd. Not that they are bad or anything but I just think compared to the others they are overrated. Think of it this way. They are probably the only prog band that most people outside of prog circles have even heard of (or at least the most number of people).

Kinda true, nevertheless most people outside prog circles only know the famous DSOTM and The Wall (also for the famous Another Brick in the Wall and Comfortably Numb). 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 12:22

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Kinda true, nevertheless most people outside prog circles only know the famous DSOTM and The Wall (also for the famous Another Brick in the Wall and Comfortably Numb). 

I should have said familiar with or more precisely familiar with their prog material. I think most music fans have at least heard of Yes, Genesis and Rush and probably heard at least one song.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 13:41
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I agree completely... but I'd have also included Camel and Renaissance.

Others would want to include Caravan and Gentle Giant, which would give us a 'Big Eleven'... Ermm
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 13:44
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I agree completely... but I'd have also included Camel and Renaissance.

Others would want to include Caravan and Gentle Giant, which would give us a 'Big Eleven'... Ermm

or maybe drop the whole "big 6" altogether LOL
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 13:54

Yes, I agree. The problem with the concept are the subtle gradations within the statures of the respective bands and differences depending on how 'largeness' is measured.

Six is such an arbitrary number as it is and as we have seen before in another thread, we would all have a slightly different 'Six'. Personally, I would probably drop Tull and include VDGG if I could only choose 6, but wouldn't want to be without Camel or Renaissance either...

Dropping Tull (because they are probably my least favourite) however, would rightly enrage others, so around we go again... Wacko
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2023 at 14:00
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Yes, I agree. The problem with the concept are the subtle gradations within the statures of the respective bands and differences depending on how 'largeness' is measured.

Six is such an arbitrary number as it is and as we have seen before in another thread, we would all have a slightly different 'Six'. Personally, I would probably drop Tull and include VDGG if I could only choose 6, but wouldn't want to be without Camel or Renaissance either...

Dropping Tull (because they are probably my least favourite) however, would rightly enrage others, so around we go again... Wacko

"Big" here refers to fame and popularity and i guess these six examples fit the criteria. It matters to some people I guess, I don't know... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 23>