Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most Overrated Band of the 'Big Six'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Poll Question: Who is the most overrated band of the 'Big Six'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
73 [35.96%]
26 [12.81%]
28 [13.79%]
20 [9.85%]
37 [18.23%]
19 [9.36%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2015 at 22:05
Something is overrated because it has more popular opinions attributed to it than others. Therefore it is not good. Is this the "logic" behind this overrated idea?

However, the trouble here (for me) is there are other artists (e.g K West) who seem to achieve considerable acclaim yet to me is over rated (largely because to me he sounds like Frank Spencer fronting Motorhead)...

Still trying to reconcile all this overrating thing...

re the above 6 pop groups... Far and away too many fine albums by these bands.

Veto.
bj_waters View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bj_waters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 10:19
In my opinion, saying something is "overrated" is entirely subjective.  It simply means that you don't like something as much as many other people do.  For example, lots of people like licorice candy.  I don't care for licorice candy.  Therefore, I think licorice candy is overrated.

The reverse is true, if you want something to be underrated.  For example: I think 90s Yes (Talk, Open Your Eyes, The Ladder) is awesome.  Most Prog Rock fans don't like those much (if at all). Therefore, I think 90s Yes is underrated.

It's worth noting that saying something is overrated doesn't necessarily mean you hate it, just that you don't like it as much as most other people.

As for this poll, I interpreted it as "out of these famous prog rock bands, which of these (in your opinion) deserve the least amount of praise."  It doesn't mean that they don't deserve praise, just not as much as people may have given them over time (again, in your opinion).
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addictedtoprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:33
They are all essential except the one which i find rather Dull..

Edited by addictedtoprog - November 02 2015 at 11:34
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 09:10
ELP aren't overrated, so no vote. 
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 05:17
I look at things in terms of popular critical opinion and, that being the case, ELP shouldn't be on this list as they've been whipping boys for decades (Jethro Tull isn't far behind in that respect). You might like them and say they're under-rated, but they're hardly critics' darlings so they can't be over-rated. Of this list, the truly respected bands would be Genesis (they're in the Rock Hall of Fame, which is some sort of indicator), Pink Floyd, and Crimson (even when prog took a critical beating, it was okay with hipper-than-thou critics to like KC and VdGG).

Of those three I like PF the least, from Dark Side forward (absolutely love Piper and Saucerful, though!) so that's where my vote went. Honestly though, I never considered them or JT part of the prog scene in the 70s (a lot of prog fans didn't, evidenced by a fair number of folks on here and progressiveears feeling the same way; Rolling Stone's Encyclopedia of Rock didn't include PF part of the prog scene either) but I know some people do, so fair enough.

Genesis aren't my cuppa anymore either, from any era.

Haven't heard any recent Crimson stuff (like, from the 90s onward) but I still like a lot of the 70s stuff.

I find Can, Magma, and VdGG far more interesting than any of these groups but they've sold a fraction of what these bands have sold so it's a pretty accurate / honest Big Six list. For instance, VdGG achieved modest success in England in the 70s, but where they might play to 1,500 (a respectable crowd at a nice theater), any of the bands on this list, barring KC, could be playing to 15,000 on the same night (certainly by the late 70s for Genesis).

Edited by bucka001 - November 07 2015 at 16:00
jc
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 05:46
I don't understand how they can be overrated - I mean, most folks here (where I live, not PA, I should add) I talk to have never heard of these bands - I suppose Genesis tends to be the most famous. But as far as 'overrated', I can't grasp the concept.
I'd say that the Black Eyed Peas and Ed Shearan are overrated coz thousands know them and they just crank out piles of 💩. Now that's overrated.

Edited by Tom Ozric - November 07 2015 at 05:47
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2015 at 18:16
Reluctant to even answer this one, but have to go with Jethro Tull, even though I really love three of JTs albums (not including Aqualung). 
Z
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 10:01
^If you're going to single out Aqualung, I'd be interested in knowing what the three albums are that you think are better.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 10:16
^ aye.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 17:15
I'm a Tull fan and I would take Stand Up, Benefit, Songs From The Wood before Lung....but then it's a close call.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2015 at 18:36
How Jethro Tull can be an overrated band if they are the least rated (in numbers and grades) of the above groups, and only two albums are in the PA Top 100 list?

I mean, ok you dont like it, but I guess that there is a faire number of like/dislikes on JT - enough for them to not be overrated.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 06:08
Oh, what a surprise - stick the boot into ELP!  Water off a duck's back - us ELP fans have been putting up with this since the mid-70s....
Follix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Follix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 13:05
When you say ''overrated'' do you mean in the real world or in the prog world?

Because overall only Pink Floyd achieved huge commercial success, Genesis is next but most people think of them after Gabriel was gone and it's not prog anymore so it doesn't really count. IMO Pink Floyd did 2 albums that were really prog: WYWH and Animals, maybe The Division Bell all the rest is space rock, art rock, acid rock, psychedelic rock, rock...

So overrated in the real world it can only be Pink Floyd, even tho I wouldn't agree, overrated on PA well I don't know.

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 15:01
Originally posted by GKR GKR wrote:

How Jethro Tull can be an overrated band if they are the least rated (in numbers and grades) of the above groups, and only two albums are in the PA Top 100 list?

I mean, ok you dont like it, but I guess that there is a faire number of like/dislikes on JT - enough for them to not be overrated.

Thick as a Brick is number 2 and was number 1.

ELP doesn't have an album in the top 60 or so.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 16:33
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Thick as a Brick is number 2 and was number 1.

ELP doesn't have an album in the top 60 or so.

Yeah, but thats only TAAB. I mean, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes and King Crimson are waaaayyyy better rated overall. I was thinking "overall".

Ah, this overrated things are too damn confusing! LOL
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 17:07

I think that is the point. You always hear about them but in reality they aren't that special, that's why people rate them lower.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 17:51
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I think that is the point. You always hear about them but in reality they aren't that special, that's why people rate them lower.

Tull wipes the floor with all those bands. Their outtakes and singles are quite often their best tracks and there's over 100 of them. Crazy amount of songs. They aren't an album band to me, they're a song band. Some albums were styled in a certain way and some songs were a bit commercial for me but they averaged 15 songs per year during the 70s. Every album had some gems plus another few gems were kept off every one of those albums. Now playing Commercial traveller from 1976. Love it. Fine prog track. It's probably their best song from that year Smile
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 18:03
Floyd are the overrated band. Very limited to slow music. Not outstanding musicians either. Gilmour plays nice though. Crimson are next. They didn't even do an album from 1975-1980. That's the 2nd best era in rock music after 1969-74 and they weren't around. When they were around from 69-74 they had countless changes and were hard to follow as a band. Changing singer, bass player, drummer every year for 4 years. Loved them when Lake, Giles, Mcdonald and Sinfield were there. Nice jazzed up compositions. They lost their melody once those guys left. I'll take the 4 or 5 slow tracks from the Wetton era and the 2 instrumentals Larks and Red. But the rest is ok. Wettons voice sucks when he uses volume imo

Edited by dr prog - November 21 2015 at 18:04
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 18:27
My definition of over-rated is based on degree of public acclaim for the band (e.g. advocacy or on PA forums and album ratings) vs my own enjoyment from the band's music. I'm open to any advice about how this could be anything other than subjective!

Smile

On that definition, for me it has to be King Crimson: apart from that first album, and a few other songs here and there, listening to the earlier KC albums leave me feeling like I've been mugged (e.g. Red) or subjected to improvisation that I don't "get", then the music on the '80's KC albums onward too often leaves me cold. That reflects my musical tastes to date of course - I'd much rather choose to listen to The Snow Goose or some Procol Harum than to most KC or VDGG for that matter. But...who knows - at some time in the future my musical palate may evolve to appreciate KC!
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 18:52
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

but in reality they aren't that special

I oficially hate you. SmileLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>