FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPascal's Prog Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2015 at 10:38
I have some new albums to add:

PFM - Per Un Amico. Such a beautiful album, though I miss something, it doesn't sound like something which I could make my own. I hope you understand what I mean. How it's is done though superior and with a lot of classical influences of course. Rating: 7.5

Rush - Moving Pictures. I love the sound, it's exactly what I was looking for about one year ago when I was out of Coldplay and didn't know what to listening next. There are no real weak spots on it either.
Though some songs seem not too complex and it isn't an album that I can listen too endlessly. So after all it'll be an "above-average" album, a little better than the average in my list on the OP. Rating: 7.5 too.

Also some changes to the ratings, most changing is Selling England which still grows on me a lot, from 8 to 9.5
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 03:50
Because I like the two Genesis albums I know a lot I thought of doing The Lamb. The first CD is now quite familiar and looks like a development of Selling England, though I like it less somehow. Maybe I should just get into it more.

Also I tried something very different which I wanted to know, OK Computer by Radiohead, which is pretty good. Very different to what I've heard of prog so far but my rating will not be much lower I guess.

I tried Larks too... But still I can't get into this music, although ITCOTCK gets better and better for me, especcially 21st century.
Can someone recommend me a Crimson album which maybe suits my taste better? Maybe Red?

Edited by DDPascalDD - December 29 2015 at 03:51
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 04:08
^ I still can't get into The Lamb, after 4 or 5 spins. It has too much vocals and filler tracks, in my opinion.

I didn't like Larks at first listen either, but I learned to appreciate it, especially the two self-titled tracks. Red is from the same phase, but I think it's better. It has Starless, which is one of their best tracks ever Thumbs Up My favourite KC album is Lizard, but it also took me a while to get into it. I think ITCOTCK was the only I liked at first listen.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2015 at 04:35
Thanks, I'll try Red first then. Got enough to listen to now!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2016 at 11:20
I needed some time with my new Crimso album, Red, but man how that was worth it! Totally new style for me and I can listen to it a lot of times a day actually.
I think the opening song took me the longest, but I really learned to appreciate it, although IMO it's defenitely not the best of the album. It's all about that one listening when you get that feeling: "hey, actually it's pretty nice!" and then: "but it's exactly the same as I've heard already and I disliked it at first", it's almost a weird feeling, paradoxical.
Then I really need some singing - and the singing of King Crimson is so beautiful, just like the debut although it's another songer. I really like the contrast in Fallen Angel, the changes in the dynamics. One of my favourites.
One More Red Nightmare is quite nice qua form, but also brings the feeling of "just another such song".
I think you might understand that Providence is a song I can't understand. It's hard not to skip, really.
The ultimate masterpiece is indeed Starless. Very innovative and new. For my liking the guitar solo/build up could be a little shorter in length. But it's really overwhelming as a whole though.

I think a suitable rating is: 8.5
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 06:21
A new album to add: Radiohead - OK Computer.
Although more experimental than progressive rock, it's a very nice album to listen to.
The sound is very unexpectable and sometimes beautifully big, like in The Tourist, one of my favourites. Paranoid Android is still my favourite and is as "good" as some of my favourite prog tracks, and beats some as well!
The differences in dynamics and sound makes it very interesting and less boring. Also it makes some parts a bit of an acquired taste.
Well, adding it all up it will be an 8,0 for today.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 06:39
I would recommend you try Kid A, the album Radiohead released after OK Computer. It's definitely their most prog-influenced effort, and the one prog fans tend to like best. Personally, I find it superior to OK Computer, but not because it's "proggier" (I hate that word!) - just because the music speaks to me more.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 07:25
Thanks, I'll defenitely give it a listen!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2016 at 07:51
Nice to know you liked Red. "One More Red Nightmare" and "Providence" were also the tracks that took me more time to like. I see "Providence" as a reprise of "Moonchild" and I think it's a good change after all the intensity of the previous tracks. Besides, after that track comes "Starless" Approve Bill Bruford is just mind blowing on that record Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 08:41
Even Moonchild: The Illusion is growing on me! It makes sense when you take the lyrics into mind (indeed, like Jean and Friede thought): first dancing and dreaming, the short dreamy section after the singing. Then it gets some more strange: "talking to trees" and "Cobweb strange". Then with "Gathering flowers", some sounds begin likely to be associated with picking things up. Finally she's "playing hide and seek with the ghosts of dawn".
Basicly you experience the story in two ways, first lyrically and then musically.

Providence only has no lyrics, gotta work on that one Wink

Edited by DDPascalDD - February 05 2016 at 08:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 14:36
I think Kid A will take some time to grow on me. I've got two other albums which I really enjoy listening lately: Tubular Bells and Love Over Gold.
As for the latest, I'm surprised. First that Dire Straits made progressive rock in their early years. Secondly I'm very surprised that they don't even appear on PA! LOG is undoubtedly prog IMO.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2016 at 22:32
Love Over Gold is pretty great, and has some proggy attributes, but I don't expect to see Dire Straits on PA any time soon.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2016 at 09:21
I'll give the album Tubular Bells a rating of 8. Though it's nice and complicated, I miss something. Maybe I just don't like the sound, but I can enjoy other albums much more.
Then Love Over Gold is kind of the other way around. A better sound for my liking, but it seems a little less complicated. Which isn't always bad per se, but it causes me to not be able to listen it over and over again. I'll give it an 8 as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 08:57
I needed some time, but Kid A sets me in a even more relaxed mood than DSOTM ever did, especially with headphones. 
A very sophisticated album and very progressive and unique. I reward it with a 9.

Edited by DDPascalDD - March 04 2016 at 08:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 03:06
A new great album to add: Rush - Hemispheres. I already knew the epic which is one I can listen to endlessly, and the other 3 tracks are almost as great, I like the symphonic (at times almost classical) elements added to the album. Until now, this is my faourite Rush album, with a rating of: 9.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2016 at 12:04
Time to make the Yes list more complete with Relayer and The Yes Album. Both really great, I can listen to it endlessly! IMO Relayer is almost as good as CttE. The only part I don't enjoy a lot is Soon. But I prefer Sound Chaser to Siberian Khatru and And You And I, so I guess it's worth a 9.5.
I like the rock n roll and Beatles influence on The Yes Album. If I compare it to Fragile - being the other pre-CttE album - I think Fragile has a slight edge over the other, I'll rate it 8.5
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 09:52
I've been looking for some time to what I want to listen to, I've tried multiple things, even Larks' but I'll give it a try later on I think, it really has yet to grow on me slowly...
Then I thought of something completely different, ELP. I find them superb. At least the things that I've got into and I'm curious if I can get into everything...

The thing that I'm surprised by is the sophistication of prog metal. I now know Images and Words and I really like to hear Rush and Bach influence in the same song and the "perfect" sound works for me though! Only personally I do prefer a symphonic sound over metal. 
So I find it a very great album, despite that it's not really my thing (yet) a real masterpiece: 9.

Edited by DDPascalDD - April 21 2016 at 09:53
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 08:29
If you are hip with classical-inspired prog that does not get too strange (Univers Zero, Art Zoyd) I would be delighted to recommend early Egg. You might just like something you find, if not, you will just have more listening experience. I aim to please. Smile

How do you like Gentle Giant? I think that might be something you will like.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 05:53
That piece from Egg is really okay, so I tried Polite Force which I didn't really like (at first listen). Maybe their debut is worth a shot then, and haven't tried Gentle Giant yet, seems to be quite an acquired taste. Wink

-
The other thing I'm working on is jazz/jrf. I really like Third Stream Music and I'm getting more and more into Miles' Kind of Blue, but Bitches Brew's sound is quite hard for me to keep listening to.

-
I'm also trying ELP and I adore their complexity and use of classical and jazz implementations. It's not too hard to get into and it bares a lot of listens I think.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 07:59
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

That piece from Egg is really okay, so I tried Polite Force which I didn't really like (at first listen). Maybe their debut is worth a shot then, and haven't tried Gentle Giant yet, seems to be quite an acquired taste. Wink

-
The other thing I'm working on is jazz/jrf. I really like Third Stream Music and I'm getting more and more into Miles' Kind of Blue, but Bitches Brew's sound is quite hard for me to keep listening to.

-
I'm also trying ELP and I adore their complexity and use of classical and jazz implementations. It's not too hard to get into and it bares a lot of listens I think.

try The Soft Machine's self-titled (1968) and Volume Two (1969) Tongue
you might enjoy those Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>