Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 04:20
Thanks all! Smile
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 08:53
Also, good luck from me, Pascal! It's so great you are auditioning to study at a conservatory, I very much admire that. Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 09:06
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Can anybody recommend me some albums/artists? I'm looking for something related to the kind of compositions Thank You Scientist made with Rude Goldberg Variations and Suspicious Waveforms- an excellent mix of prog and jazz, it may have metal elements but doesn't have to. (Keep in mind I like complex composition Wink)
Just for listening, finding new music and for inspiration for own compositions.

Have you tried Seven Impale?

here's a Bandcamp link as well, in case you prefer that service.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2017 at 12:29
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Also, good luck from me, Pascal! It's so great you are auditioning to study at a conservatory, I very much admire that. Smile

Awh thank you!

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Can anybody recommend me some albums/artists? I'm looking for something related to the kind of compositions Thank You Scientist made with Rude Goldberg Variations and Suspicious Waveforms- an excellent mix of prog and jazz, it may have metal elements but doesn't have to. (Keep in mind I like complex composition Wink)
Just for listening, finding new music and for inspiration for own compositions.

Have you tried Seven Impale?

here's a Bandcamp link as well, in case you prefer that service.

Wow! Listening to it now, the first two sound very, very great! Not what I had in mind exactly, but that's not the point, after all I could prefer this. The only thing right now is the vocals that I have to get used to the most, remind me a bit of Peter Hammil.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 06:38
Great news! Just got accepted to go to codarts!!! Big smile
Audition in The Hague in almost a month now, I think I have a slight preference for that one, so I'll let you know by then.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2017 at 08:57
Congratulations! Clap
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 12:54
Coming tuesday I will be auditioning for the conservatory in The Hague, very excited and of course busy with practising it all. Got a pretty confident feeling, due to what people say to me and the fact that I'm already accepted at Codarts.

On a different note, I just published a track of my coming album, already pretty far with it and I think it will be more interesting than the previous ones. More experimental and instrumental, the most is completely through-composed/written out. I try to blend a lot of styles (will be quite jazzy but will also sound like modernistic classical music) and also make it complex as well as romantic. Defenitely not everything of all that is hearable in this short track, but I think that it's a nice preview anyway Big smile

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 13:27
^Pascal!!! Great stuff. Fantastic composition. It has that compositional intricacy I love about Gentle Giant from The Power and Glory era.  I really admire the moments like at 0:58, when the tempo gets a bit edgy. Great stuff. I can't wait to hear the whole album. I really like that direction you have taken musically.

And good luck at your audition in The Hague! Big smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 14:00
^Thank you so much!!! GG was defenitely a big influence (although you probably already knew that Wink).

And yeah, that bit is an interesting rhythm I thought, it's a 7/4 which isn't that special, but the last three counts are in a slightly slower tempo. Combined with a syncopated rhythm and a triplet... I'm barely to get it tightly together (as you can hear) but strangely somehow the rhythm came into my head exactly like this LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 07:12
Great news again! Got accepted at The Hague as well! So excited to go study there next year, it was always kind of a dream for me Big smile

On a different note, I've been listening a lot to Seven Impale - City Of The Sun. It has of course grown on me, but in general it's... Very enjoyable and 'adventurous' and daring, only personally I would prefer less metal and more different melodies to make such a chaotic bit. Also it tends to drag on a bit at points where there is a nice riff but lacks development. What IMO is one of the major qualities in this album is the deeply thought-out, technical and masterfully surprising rhythmics. You can defenitely hear that most of the rhythms of the riffs, bass and drums are very smartly and complementingly blended. I'll rate it with a 9.

Because I really dig this one but long for more jazz or other influences than heavy-metal, JRF could be a genre in which I will find some things I really like. Just listened to Romantic Warrior and I clearly hear some things I recognise from Thank You Scientist which are probably common in fusion. My quest for GG like fusion has begun...Tongue

Edited by DDPascalDD - April 26 2017 at 07:29
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 08:14

Great news again! Got accepted at The Hague as well! So excited to go study there next year, it was always kind of a dream for me Big smile

Congratz Thumbs Up!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2017 at 09:08
That's awesome Pascal! Clap
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 04:33
Thank you!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 04:29
Been listening to Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior. What I liked was the playing of the musicians, not only are some of there lines obviously very technical (sometimes though too technical and lacking melody for too long IMO), there is also great intonation (mostly the keyboards and bass are in that way very enjoyable sometimes) and direction, direction which is strengthed by the whole group playing together and building to a climax like in the title track near the end.
The opening overture is really kind of what I was looking for, as I adore the moments when you hear that all notes are really composed and they all play a same, complicated rhythm, those typical fusion moments. Which are btw very suitable for metal as well, where there is always very tight playing, I thought this kind of technical playing and tightness was only hearable in modern prog and metal, so it is refreshing to hear such music from the 70's.
Though what I don't like is the repetition instead of development. When it returns to a theme after a solo, I would like to hear something more, like implementing an idea (motif, rhythm, anything) from the solo in the theme to develop it and make it much more interesting to listen to. That makes it a little boring for me. The compositions seem indeed complete, but not mature.

Overall a great album, with some great moments and impressive playing and some moments where it tends to drag on. I'll rate it with a 7.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 04:54
 Supersister could be an influence too Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 02:56
Hmm, I should know them too, being a Dutchie, don't I? ;D

Well, I've been listening to Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pandora's Piņata. I instantly loved the big band metal in Voodoo Mon Amour. The influences are quite well balanced, though I'd like less metal IMHO, the metal makes it a little tiresome to listen to, and man... there are many influences here: quite some opera - even a whole opera piece which is maybe my favourite -, different kinds of orchestral arrangements: classical, romantic, modernistic and film/trailer music, big band jazz, eastern music, funk, metal (mostly not prog-metal actually), men's choir, and even dubstep.
I like how most modern prog bands are even more extreme in certain aspects than classic 70's prog groups, like in this album. 
Besides the eclecticism, the compositions are kept quite simple, although it has good direction and great builds to a climax, there is not much to discover when you listen deeply to the music.
Overall fun to listen, I'll give it a 7.5.
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 08:47
For some Dutch jazzy prog you should also really listen to Het Pandorra Ensemble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97RlJwSBN14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 04:03
My new album is just released! I'm satisfied with the result and would be very keen on your reactions: https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/fedus

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 04:59

My new album is just released! I'm satisfied with the result and would be very keen on your reactions: https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/fedus

Really like it! Great album. Very calm, evem on more agressive parts, but by not boring. And your compositions are very intricate. At times, it even sounds improvised (maybe because of the "time shifting"?), but the way it holds together suggests otherwise. Very Gentle Giant-y, especially on the quiet passages. My favorite tracks are Libore and Rest IVever, but Dalemont is also a very good experiment. Congratulations, Pascal, you should be proud! Clap

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 30 2017 at 05:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>