FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPascal's Prog Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 09:04
^ I think they should have dropped the ballads, they're definitely not good at it, and make their albums 40/50 minutes long because it's tiresome otherwise. No wonder "Images & Words" is the one I find easier to listen to at once, even though I find it a bit long too.
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 02:55
I'm getting more and more used to heavier rock music and am listening to a lot of King Crimson and Dream Theater these days. I know that the latter is not a favourite of everyone here, but their music is done with so much energy and contains a lot of detail, got beautiful sound and syphisticated rythmics. The solos are hit or miss, sometimes they mix melody and virtuosity brilliantly but sometimes it's downright boring- playing random fast notes. I can add the album Black Clouds & Silver Linings to my list now with an 8.

Further I can almost add the Crimson albums from debut to Discipline, but I'll need some more time to complete and then compare them to each other, but after a long time I can say that I adore listening to these very "odd" albums.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 10:20
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

I'm getting more and more used to heavier rock music and am listening to a lot of King Crimson and Dream Theater these days. I know that the latter is not a favourite of everyone here, but their music is done with so much energy and contains a lot of detail, got beautiful sound and syphisticated rythmics. The solos are hit or miss, sometimes they mix melody and virtuosity brilliantly but sometimes it's downright boring- playing random fast notes. I can add the album Black Clouds & Silver Linings to my list now with an 8.

Further I can almost add the Crimson albums from debut to Discipline, but I'll need some more time to complete and then compare them to each other, but after a long time I can say that I adore listening to these very "odd" albums.

Don't worry, there are still Dream Theater fans around such as myself. No more fanboys though, they have been replaced by the other extreme. Wink

If you haven't heard it yet, I highly recommend Awake. That's my favorite DT album, and it's probably their most varied as well.

Edited by Pastmaster - July 23 2016 at 10:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 10:48
Good to hear, I'll try Awake.
I also thought of trying more of eclectic prog, either Gentle Giant or VDGG, but not sure yet where to begin. Which album(s) of their top period is the easiest to get into?
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:34
From Van Der Graaf Generator, you can try either H to He Who Am the Only One or Still Life, these seem to me as good starters. H to He seems like something you might like based on what I know of your tastes.
As to Gentle Giant, their debut was where I started and the album I still enjoy the most. Wow, this must've been one of the very first prog albums I really liked... Three Friends is also kind of accessible. I liked Power And Glory from the first listen, but I doubt it will appeal to you if you are new to Gentle Giant.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 11:37
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste
VdGG - Godbluff
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 12:18
I'd say that Gentle Giant's debut, Acquiring the Taste, or Free Hand would be good starts. I only know a couple albums of VDGG, so I'm not the best person to recommend that. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 17:57
My experience with VDGG was that I often needed several spins to get used to their albums. Many find Hammill's voice uncomfortable at least in the beginning. I had the same experience at first but got into it with time and now they're one of the top acts for me. Also there is some unconventional mixing on some albums that makes the sound seem strange in the beginning, but again, one can get used to it and even appreciate it.
I'd go for Still Life first but with H to He (...) or Pawn Hearts you won't go wrong either as far as I'm concerned.
But whatever you try, give it some time.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2016 at 19:11
Pawn Hearts was my first VdGG, but I couldn't recommend it as a starting point.  I didn't even like it at first.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 06:02
VdGG: Godbluff and Still Life serve well as starting points. From Gentle Giant I'd recommend Free Hand or Three Friends. Keep away from In a Glass House until you have acquired the taste.

And if you can't get enough of eclectic, I strongly recommend Gnidrolog. They sound as if they are in the centre of the triangle Van der Graaf Generator - Gentle Giant - Jethro Tull. In Spite of Harry's Toenail is very good, Lady Lake is a masterpiece.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2016 at 08:58
^I still haven't acquired the taste for In a Glass House!  LOL
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2016 at 06:41
The Crimson albums. They get better almost every album. I adore moments of ITCOTCK, but just moments, which makes it an 8. Then ITWOP is just the same thing again but slightly worse... 7. Lizard is quite a surprising album with an amazing beginning and ending track, an equal 8 to The Court. Even more of a surprise was the first spin of Islands, that was amazing! It may be the most unique I've heard, because its influence from old music, worth 9.
Second era Crimson brings 3 outstanding albums in a row. Starless And Bible Back shows the very experimental style, but IMHHO less through-composed then the other 2 and so a little messy. It's pretty consistent though without filler which makes it a 9. Then Larks' is the one I've had most trouble with getting into, it really took me half a year! But was it worth it! Easy Money is my favourite but I love all tracks, 9.5. Red is the one I still love the most but just beats Larks', 9.5.
With Discipline they went to a totally different direction and I think it was a good choice and has a great sound, but I still prefer the previous era as it has more lengthy songs and they say a little more, I rate Discipline with 8.5.

Edited by DDPascalDD - August 12 2016 at 13:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 13:38
Now this is exactly what I always wanted to hear! Great complex composition and endless eclecticism through the whole album, kept very compact without many filler. Gentle Giant fits my taste very well. Just listening and analysing this without doing anything else doesn't bore me for a second. I've also searched for some sheets which makes it even more impressive if you read that while listening. Two outstanding albums to add and many more to come (based on what I've read).
Gentle Giant: 9
Acquiring The Taste: 9.5
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 13:56
Dropping in here to toss you a curveball, before I forget about it.

In this case by one of the contemporary eclectic bands I'm rather fond, and for easy inspection purposes here's a live DVD ripped to YouTube by them. You should get a notion by the end of the  second song here on whether or not this is a band that might merit further inspection.

File it for a possible future inspection, at your own leisure.

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 14:02
Thanks, always in for recomendations; will check it out!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2016 at 15:51

Now this is exactly what I always wanted to hear! Great complex composition and endless eclecticism through the whole album, kept very compact without many filler. Gentle Giant fits my taste very well. Just listening and analysing this without doing anything else doesn't bore me for a second. I've also searched for some sheets which makes it even more impressive if you read that while listening. Two outstanding albums to add and many more to come (based on what I've read).
Gentle Giant: 9
Acquiring The Taste: 9.5

Glad you enjoyed GG, one of my favorite prog bands if not my favorite. Just wait till you get to In a Glass House! Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 05:55
Just listened to the Major Parkinson vid. 
They know how to adjust to this time but maybe a little too much for my taste. The sound is great, but what I appreciate less is the singer and the length, and therefore depth, of the songs. 
So nice for a listen or two, but I'm afraid it won't be much more for me.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 06:22

Just listened to the Major Parkinson vid. 
They know how to adjust to this time but maybe a little too much for my taste. The sound is great, but what I appreciate less is the singer and the length, and therefore depth, of the songs. 
So nice for a listen or two, but I'm afraid it won't be much more for me.

Oh well, no one band will have a universal appeal :-)

If you tend to desire length, you should probably try out another Norwegian band at some point, just added to the Progarchives database this week. Shamblemaths, whose debut album consists of three songs, the shortest of them clocking in at the 10 minute mark. They do have a bit more of a foundation in 70's prog as well, with some distinct avant orientations.

If you have 28 minutes to spare at some point, you can have a go at the opening track of that album here *chuckles*

Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2016 at 11:18
I saw the addition and the praising comments in the thread so I already kind of thought of listening to it. It's awesome! So many going on and it just keeps going, with a lot of different genres very interestingly adapted, around 3 minutes a very interesting sort of latin jazz with metal influenced accompinent (I wish they went on some longer with more piano), also undeniable some early Crimson (part C); but despite the many changes it remains an addictive sound. Oh and that overture is very nicely done, great idea to do an overture at the very end. LOL

Though... Maybe I just have to get into it more (probably the case), but it feels like too much and misses cohesion over all. That's first listen though, so actually I should get to know the piece more to know if it really misses cohesion- which is a very personal standpoint of course. Also it doesn't take away the lots of effort there must be put in composing and arranging this whole piece!

So... Worth a lot of more listens I guess!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 04:53
Another 2 great GG albums. I find Three Friends to be a little boring at times but has its outstanding moments just like the preceeding two, which makes it a 8.5 for me. It also appears as a little less eclectic to me.
Now the follow-up is a whole lot better, I like the (sort of) new direction with short songs which aren't very extended but very complicated and compact. So many layers and things to pay attention to that you can listen to it endlessly, a 9.5; just beats out Acquiring The Taste IMO.

An album I can't really get into is VDGG's H To He... Maybe time will make it better, but I have yet not succeeded in listening to the whole in one time. It's not even Peter Hammil's vocals, because I can appreciate what he does and like (not love as I do with other singers) his singing, but the music just really bores me, think I'll try it later on again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>