Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 5: Vocalists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 14:55
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Prog/Rock:
Peter Nicholls
Damian Wilson
Floor Jansen
Steve Hogarth
Anneke Van Giersbergen

Random:
Neil Diamond
Tasmin Archer
Katherine Jenkins

I consider Steve Hogarth to be such an expressionless singer; Fish was the much better singer for Marillion

Oh dear can't agree with that at all. Hogarth is actually rather wonderful . Fish is a great vaudeville style entertainer but never been sure about his voice. I do like bits and pieces of what he does but too much of it just overwhelms the music IMO.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2017 at 14:58
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Other female:

- Bat for Lashes

Clap AKA Natasha Khan . I love her to death
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richey Edwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 09:27
Morten Harket
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 10:57
1) Peter Hammill
2) Gary Brooker
3) Roger Waters
4) Greg Lake
5) John Lennon
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 05:35
Justin Hayward
Greg Lake
Kate Bush
Phil Collins
Dave Gilmour
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 05:36
Originally posted by Richey Edwards Richey Edwards wrote:

Morten Harket

Good choice. Always loved that guys voice. Power and range.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TGM: Orb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2017 at 14:56
In no particular order and no doubt somewhat changeable -

1. Tom Waits
2. Demetrio Stratos
3. Peter Hammill
4. Tim Buckley 
5. Joanna Newsom
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 13:32
Hi,

This is tough ... very tough.

Of all these, I still think that Jim Morrison is the biggest and the best, mostly because he could also give you poetry and make it sound fantastic and explosive. This is not something that most band folks will even try, because the control of it, and the ability to continue and stop is really scary and many musicians are afraid to be hung out to dry.

Some of these folks are not "singers" per se, and are more "actors" on the stage than anything else. Christian Decamps is a great example, as is Francesco di Giacomo, who used his vocal abilities so well, that we never came around to say ... that's not a singer ... the usual refrain about a lot of rock singers. Peter Hammill is the same way in that he acts out his words, a lot more than he sings them. Kate Bush has been acting out her pieces from the start. Jon Anderson in the early days, up to "Relayer" was excellent, but it all became a song after that and his lyrics suffered.

The likes of PG, Fish and such, kinda fall down from my list, because they started out acting, and very well I might add, and then dropped it off altogether, for a song. And their material suffered, and all of a sudden, as in the case of PG, one hit and the rest ... we didn't bother with it.

On the other hand, there is someone like Daevid Allen, and Gilly Smith, since they are both true "beat poets" all the way to the end of their lives. You could really say that this is not singing, and it doesn't matter ... what they did would not be as appreciated as it became because of their individuality and incredible talent for "words" in front of a microphone. And Gilly did many poetry slams for fun ... something that almost all of these folks listed here would not even consider, I bet! Daevid .. heck, he could read toilet paper or a newspaper ... made no difference! And laugh about Sartre, Camus, Genet and Burroughs at the same time in one small sentence! A reference that will go right by most of us just to give you an idea as to how "out there" (for lack of a better expression), they can be.

I prefer the "actors", because they make a movie for your mind with the feelings. A singer, kinda gets hidden in that equation, regardless of weather they can hit that one note or not. It's not the note that matters ... it's the value of the words for the piece.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 16:36
Male singers
Peter Gabriel
Peter Hammill
Ian Gillan
David Byron
Gary Brooker

Female singers:
Annie Haslam
Sonja Kristina
Janita "Jenny" Hahn
Jerney Kaagman (older Earth & Fire)
Samantha Fox (in the looks department!)

Edited by Boojieboy - November 15 2017 at 16:41
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2017 at 17:59
@ moshkito:  Whilst the aspect of acting out the lyrics is very important, it's not the be all-end all either.  A great singer still needs a great tone, range and power to have options otherwise his/her repertoire is going to be limited.  The ones you mentioned like Morrison, Hammill or Kate Bush tick at least some of the above boxes.  If however you take someone like Donald Fagen, he was fabulous at acting out the lyrics but had by his own admission limited vocal ability which is why he is not regarded as a great singer. As such, what you call 'acting out' I call phrasing and it was usually not a problem with most of the well known singers up to the 70s because distinct accents and styles of speaking English still persisted.  But nowadays too many singers mimic Tony Martin/Lea Salonga respectively so there is an annoying uniformity and lack of character in the vocals.  Some of it is simply continental Europe taking over prog and people for whom English is not a native language singing in it (as opposed to their own language in the 70s).  But even the ones coming from Britain/USA (like Haken's singer for example) don't have much soul.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 09:39
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

@ moshkito:  Whilst the aspect of acting out the lyrics is very important, it's not the be all-end all either. 

A quote from MEATLOAF's book ... "I'm an actor that happens to sing!"

Yes, no and maybe, from my experience ... there are many actors that are simply very good at inflection and use stop and go (stage style) to help their delivery. In music, this can be a bit harder since there is a limited amount of time before your next word, or expression, but then, no one that plays with Peter Hammill, ever complained about his changes and differences from song to song and from night to night. 

Yes, a great singing pedigree helps and Annie is a great example, but I did not think, that her voice was more important than Renaissance ... I thought both went together very well, and when the band was not there, she did not sound as strong. Maybe she needed to do a couple more Roy Wood albums?

Renate (AD2) is a perfect example. She is not quite a singer, but she learned to match her voice to some of the songs, and sometimes it worked and sometimes, many of us thought it didn't. But the CHARACTER that it added to so much of the material in AD2, is amazing, and hearing the live versions that the band did in 2015 of so much of their material, all of a sudden shows, how she can adjust ... and while still not as powerful as the original, the vocal stylings are more reminiscent of the acting styles that folks like Klaus Kinski made famous ... total adlib from the word go ... and the director allowed it and sometimes even choreographed the filming around it. I think that many more bands did that with their singer than we know ... and we might just think it was grand singing, and in some ways it might not have been.

To me, acting and singing are not that different ... it's all about the expression, and seeing Jodorowski make fun of it, one of the actors - the mom only sings ... is kinda funny and somehow feels out of place, but you get the idea that this is being done as a satire of the whole form ... the ideas and thoughts of it all going together are all out of kilter, and ... I agree with that for the most part.

But singing has changed in the past 50 to 75 years, and "attitude" has been added. Imagine a TURANDOT, or TOSCA, or BARBER OF SEVILLE, or many other operas also done with "attitude", and it would render the work much stronger and likely better suited for a rock audience, which is where opera has gone wrong ... they don't think the rock audience is important and that a Mick Jagger is an idiot compared to their tenors and such on the stage!

It sure brings up ... an interesting future for singing ... that I bet you we will not like when we first hear it!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 17:51
@moshkito "Of course, pedigree is important".  Amen, thank you, no ifs and no buts.  Not necessarily pedigree in terms of training but just possessing a great and versatile instrument.  It is also important in acting as well; great actors have great voices with amazing dynamic range (like Daniel Day Lewis in the climax of There Will Be Blood).  Inflection is important (and it wasn't only the Hammills or Gabriels who did it, it's just more noticeable in their case because of the theatrical element in their music) but you can't really inflect your way out of a limited voice.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 08:10
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

... but you can't really inflect your way out of a limited voice.  

I think you can and some have done it. I don't think that Joe Cocker, Steve Broughton or even Roger Chapman were good singers at all, but they figured out a way to make things sound better than we thought. And their expression was very well received, despite many people not liking that kind of voice in singing for the most part. It also helped that their bands were outstanding (catch the EBB on the Rockpalast DVD), and all of a sudden you have something different and very good, as opposed to ... that voice can't sing, or that voice is really bad. Even Eno has said that he can't sing, but I think he has a super sharp ear that is probably pitch perfect.

Nowadays, with so much stuff out there, and so much metal, and other styles of music, a lot of this is less visible, and perhaps we are not looking or finding it, because a lot of music has become so treated and cleaned up that it's really hard to find something like we're discussing. 

I do think that all these folks have a very reasonable and strong feeling and knowledge for music ... which helps a lot, though.
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 08:38
^^^ Good, yes (and I mentioned Fagen on similar lines), but not great, at least on the level of Hammill.  There has to be some level of virtuosity to regard a singer great (while that too is not the be all end all).  There was a better balance between the athletic and artistic aspects of singing in rock then.  But again, this has a lot to do with the cleaning up of language itself and the 'othering', if you will, of those who still lie outside the mainstream whereby their authenticity somehow makes them 'weird' and misfits.  So you don't get the variety of English accents anymore that you once did and that by itself takes a lot of flavour and character out of singing.  The demands of the audience have also changed.  If you have noticed, lately a lot of pop singing is excessively staccato, like reciting a nursery rhyme.  I simply can't stand that kind of singing with no attempt to draw out notes (not asking for legato, no) so I speculated on why somebody would prefer that approach and one possible reason could be that unless it is sung thus way, the audience feels unable to discern all the words and considers that a drawback. In such a scenario, there is even less room for quaint accents.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 17:04
Bowie
Bush
Macca
Wyatt
Byrne
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 08:20
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Wyatt

And here is, one of the greatest examples of what should rightly be called the "anti-singer", because Robert is exactly what a Jean-Luc Godard is to his "anti-film" manifestos.

If you read Robert's book, (Different Every Time), it pretty much tells you all you need to know. I have a way of saying that Robert is the ULTIMATE LITTLE KID when it comes to music, and his approach to it, is so different and fresh, as to leave you totally ... dumbfounded, by what you heard, that you can't even classify!

As such, RW is one of the top vocalists, however, not enough people have heard anything of his to be able to enjoy and appreciate it, and I doubt a metal fan would even bother with 10 seconds of Robert Wyatt.
www.pedrosena.com
SamMac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 20:50
1. Peter Hammill
2. Peter Gabriel
3. Geddy Lee
4. Phil Collins
5. Jon Anderson

Edited by SamMac - May 13 2018 at 18:25
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 10:52
Hi,

Of all the folks named here, I have to agree that PH is probably the best of them all ... and was absolutely wonderful in VdGG and Solo material specially in the 70's and 80's for me!

However, I'm not sure that I would leave behind one of the best poets in the music scene, and I think his expression is just as good as PH's with the exception that we do not think that "folk music" is progressive, and does not deserve the poop accolades that we give it. Roy Harper is probably just as good as PH and his output is just as strong and valuable.
www.pedrosena.com
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 13:44
Lately I've been appreciating the hell out of....

Jon Oliva (Savatage)
Phil Collins ( Genesis )
Ozzy Osbourne ( Solo Career & Black Sabbath works )
Annette Olson ( Nightwish)
Ronnie James DIO (DIO, Black Sabbath)
Burton C. Bell (Fear Factory)
Roger Waters (solo work & Pink Floyd)
Rick Davies ( Supertramp)
Carl McCoy ( Fields of the Nephilim)
Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke)

Yeah. I did 10 cause I'm an ass. Happy Holidays all!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2017 at 19:45
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Lately I've been appreciating the hell out of....

Jon Oliva (Savatage)
Phil Collins ( Genesis )
Ozzy Osbourne ( Solo Career & Black Sabbath works )
Annette Olson ( Nightwish)
Ronnie James DIO (DIO, Black Sabbath)
Burton C. Bell (Fear Factory)
Roger Waters (solo work & Pink Floyd)
Rick Davies ( Supertramp)
Carl McCoy ( Fields of the Nephilim)
Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke)

Yeah. I did 10 cause I'm an ass. Happy Holidays all!

I don't know many of these, but I do find it strange that you put Anette from Nightwish instead of Tarja, or at least Floor. On the other hand, I do love DIO, I believe he is my very favourite Metal singer... though I guess his work was closer to hard rock than to metal. Also, I'm glad Waters gets some love; I do believe he was a great and very unique singer that often gets overlooked... however, I can hardly think of someone capable of putting so much passion and emotion to their singing (specially on the utter despair department).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>