Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen is Peter Gabriel not Peter Gabriel??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: When is Peter Gabriel not Peter Gabriel??
    Posted: November 06 2015 at 13:47
I thought this might be of interest to Peter Gabriel fans. I heard this song on the car radio years ago in Boston and was convinced that it was sung by Gabriel, so I went crazy to find the album it was on, including the early self titled albums and Gabriel's movie sound tracks, but no luck.

I went to one of those "Spirit of the Sixties" revival parties where everyone wears sandals, tie dyed clothes and beads (and smokes a lot of herb). I heard this song playing on a CD player and said "That song! That's Peter Gabriel!" The DJ just laughed at me and handed me an Eric Burdon album cover to look out.

Well, what do you think? Eric Burdon or Peter Gabriel? 

Edited by RayRo - November 06 2015 at 13:47
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 23:14
Well...I know that album from the old days because I liked the Animals and Sky pilot and Monterey are on it.
But it does sound a little like an early Genesis track that could have been on the very first album Genesis To Revelation. 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 01:49

Burdon.

spenadosb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 09:21
Bajaba suena igual
RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 09:47
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...I know that album from the old days because I liked the Animals and Sky pilot and Monterey are on it.
But it does sound a little like an early Genesis track that could have been on the very first album Genesis To Revelation. 
I must admit that I've never heard the first Genesis album and it seems to be regarded as a "turkey". Even here on PA it seems. Does anyone on PA recommend the album From Genesis to Revelation? 
RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 11:20
Originally posted by spenadosb spenadosb wrote:

Bajaba suena igual
Exacto! Thumbs Up 
Rando View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 14:55

"Genesis To Revelation" their first album, a great debut and a terribly underrated album. Peter Gabriel's voice immediately grabs you and takes you into a world full of wonderful and beautiful songs filled with imagery and relaxing moods. If you're going to compare, the sound and style of this debut album it is somewhat similar to the Moody Blues if any. Considering they were only 17 or 18 when they made this album is quite an impressive collection of songs filled with a certain naivete and innocence, yet beautiful.
But don't judge this album by what Genesis became, but as the beginning of an incredible and successful musical journey.

- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 15:22
When is Peter Gabriel not Peter Gabriel?.........when he's Brian Pern of course!
Long live Thotch! (& BBC4 of course!)
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2015 at 14:44
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

"Genesis To Revelation" their first album, a great debut and a terribly underrated album. Peter Gabriel's voice immediately grabs you and takes you into a world full of wonderful and beautiful songs filled with imagery and relaxing moods. If you're going to compare, the sound and style of this debut album it is somewhat similar to the Moody Blues if any. Considering they were only 17 or 18 when they made this album is quite an impressive collection of songs filled with a certain naivete and innocence, yet beautiful.
But don't judge this album by what Genesis became, but as the beginning of an incredible and successful musical journey.

Well, I'll definitely give it a try. My father was a big Moodies fan and the song Legend of a Mind  from their second album used to scare the Bejesus out of me. A six year old hearing "Timothy Leary's dead. No, no he's outside looking in" is probably why I have a very cautious but guarded attraction to Prog Rock today.

I downloaded the above Animals album titled The Twain Shall Meet and it definitely has a Moody Blues vibe that I like very much, so I'll probably enjoy From Genesis to Revolution, too. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 02:59
There are some similarities with Peter Gabriel's vocals, but Eric Burdon's voice sounds even thicker.

Originally posted by RayRo RayRo wrote:

Well, I'll definitely give it a try. My father was a big Moodies fan and the song Legend of a Mind  from their second album used to scare the Bejesus out of me. A six year old hearing "Timothy Leary's dead. No, no he's outside looking in" is probably why I have a very cautious but guarded attraction to Prog Rock today.

I downloaded the above Animals album titled The Twain Shall Meet and it definitely has a Moody Blues vibe that I like very much, so I'll probably enjoy From Genesis to Revolution, too. 

If you like a Moodies vibe I can recommend you The Collectors' self-titled debut album.

Edited by someone_else - November 10 2015 at 03:00
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2015 at 08:42
When he is...
The fox on the rocks
A Slipperman
Rael
Shocking the monkey
A flower?
Mr. Cloud Face
Britannia Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
An old man wanting to know your flesh
A bat watching the skies
Whatever the hell the Magog is supposed to represent
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 17:23
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

When is Peter Gabriel not Peter Gabriel?.........when he's Brian Pern of course!
Long live Thotch! (& BBC4 of course!)

Clap Ha Ha! Of course although its based on PG it lampoons (in an affectionate way) all of 70's rock and what it became in the 80's, 90's and beyond.

Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 17:31
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

Exactly. They were young geniuses and suddenly having got rid of the lush string arrangements and that naive production all came together, and in late 1970 "Trespass" the unique masterpiece in Progīs early stage was born.  Itīs a cheer brilliance in Symphonic Prog in its very own pastoral way. Very beautiful yet very serious and quite melancholic music at finest. Peter Gabriel became a young god, and the most beautiful of them all Heart   
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 23:23
Originally posted by RayRo RayRo wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I must admit that I've never heard the first Genesis album and it seems to be regarded as a "turkey". Even here on PA it seems. Does anyone on PA recommend the album From Genesis to Revelation? 
Only if you like 60's sugary pop music, because FGTR has no resemblance to Genesis proper at all.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 17:57
I don't think that's really the case at all.. I agree with Son of Tiresias; there are many little hints of later Genesis (the little snippet/ riff which later became 'Twighlight Alehouse' for instance) and they were very young and lots of the production decisions were taken away from them by Jonathan King (such as the string arrangements). I think that despite what many think about From Genesis to Revelation, it was an important and necessary step in their development, if only in part that it made them realise that they only really wanted to make the music that they wanted to make.

brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:51
Thanks for that 1968 song by Eric Burdon.  Great find.  It really has everything that Proto-Prog was doing at the time.  I find the 1967-1968 Electric Prunes to be the tops in this regard.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:57
People told me how much they didn't like the first Genesis album, and you know what, I never really gave it a chance until about two days ago (and I have liked the band since the late 70s).   It's good pop for the time period.  
--
Robert Pearson

Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 00:00
I pull From Genesis to Revelation out about once a decade. It never makes an impression and never makes it into current rotation.  Its seems to me it's fairly standard psych pop for the era. There is a couple standouts I do enjoy however. The Conqueror, and if you have a release with bonus tracks One Eyed Hound is earwormy. There may be a slight rumbling of what they would become but its heavily obscured by the pop sensibility.
  In my Teens I was a huge Moody Blues listener. I never hear any resemblance in the two. What did you think of it OP?

I can definitely tell that is Burdon on the song above. I do hear that Gabriel raspyness though and can make myself imagine it to be him. Its kind of fun having my brain go back and forth between him and Burdon as I listen :)  Aside from the timber of the voice however the singing style is clearly Burdon.

This space intentionally left blank

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 10:56

I love to talk about the Proto-Prog period.

I am going to use some of the following for an article I'm writing on some Proto-Prog subjects: 

It's one thing when a Proto-Prog band throws in a little bit of classical on top of a language that is still almost entirely blues based.  So far, that seems to be what the Collectors are doing.  I have just heard of them now and the blues harmonica is putting me off.   It's another thing when most of the structure of their music is in a classical direction or the combination of both which we call Prog.  It doesn't really matter if they are writing it all themselves (1st King Crimson) or are using another living person working with them (Axelrod with the Prunes) or just doing a rock version of a classical work (A Lover's Concerto by the Toys).  It still gives a very different feeling from listening to an album that has a moment or even more of classical, but then the rest of the vibe comes back to blues-based rock.  

--
Robert Pearson

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 11:08
I don't have a thing against blues, it would be the same thing if it came back to always sounding like Alan Holdsworth scales, or polka, and so on.  The idea is that the modal aspect of the lyricism seems to form paradigms instead of creating the lines of more free melody.
--
Robert Pearson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>