Topic ClosedSantana IV due for release with original band

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Santana IV due for release with original band
    Posted: November 07 2015 at 08:39
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6677670/carlos-santana-santana-iv-supernova-wayne-shorter-herbie-hancock
The last album with this lineup was the splendid Santana III: Santana on lead guitar, Neil Schon 2nd lead guitar, Gregg Rolie on keyboards, Mike Shrieve on drums, and Mike Carabello on percussion/congas. If there is a tour, I am there.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 16:24
Who'd-a thunk it?
The Shorter/Hancock collaboration sounds interesting as well.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 17:10
I'll be suspicious until I ehar it. Tongue
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2015 at 17:57
Been waiting for this album for a while! That line-up is ace.

In case anyone missed it, the Santana Band's longtime percussionist Raul Rekow recently passed away. Cry
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 02:49
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Been waiting for this album for a while! That line-up is ace.

From what I gather, there are two different projects in this BB article:
- there is the early Santana line-up reunion thing called IV (this has been a few years in the works)
- and the Shorter, McL, Hancock thing is another (brand new?) project

Soooo, which album were you waiting for such a long time?? Wink

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 11:09
LOL
Well, if you look at the OP's post, he directly mentions the Santana III line-up.

The Supernova band is the more recent project. Wink
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 11:20
This is so funny. This article is 2 months old and now suddenly pops up everywhere (here, Progressive Ears, Facebook, ...). Every search for more details leads to this or similar articles. The release date remains completely unclear :(

Edited by Angelo - November 08 2015 at 11:20
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2015 at 12:07
Yes...been waiting for more news on this news release, I was in Cancun 2 months ago and even people there were asking if it was gonna happen.....Everybody is waiting
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 07:23

I dug Santana from the start right thru his fusion period, not so much after.  In fact, the Havana Moon album is the last I really listen to, so a reunion.....meh.  But, if Santana formed a band with Shorter, Hancock and Mahvishnu John, then I'd have a peek.

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 10:41
I have everything up through Borboletta but after that I lost interest.......from that point on they get less than 3 stars. I can't say I have heard too many of them...are they really that weak from 76 on...?
The original line up were great but will the songs they write have the same spark as the old stuff...?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 14:53
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

I dug Santana from the start right thru his fusion period, not so much after.  In fact, the Havana Moon album is the last I really listen to, so a reunion.....meh.  But, if Santana formed a band with Shorter, Hancock and Mahvishnu John, then I'd have a peek.

The whole point of Santana IV is that this should be the Caravanserai line-up... Not all the dudes that were on 80's & 90's albums.

However, you may want to listen to Shape Shifter.... It's an amlazing record in the light of his previous millenium albums (look at the scores/rates it gets just vto convince you) It's almost a return to classic Santana.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38011

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 16:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have everything up through Borboletta but after that I lost interest.......from that point on they get less than 3 stars. I can't say I have heard too many of them...are they really that weak from 76 on...?
IMO, no. Not at all. They just aren't fusion. They're more "Latin rock" in the vein of the first two albums, with a sound updated to the time. I really like Marathon, Zebop and Shango a LOT. I don't think there's really a "bad" Santana until the guest artist nonsense commenced in the late 1990s.

And definitely listen to Carlos' solo albums Illuminations, The Swing of Delight, Havana Moon and Blues For Salvador!!!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 18:59

LOL
Well, if you look at the OP's post, he directly mentions the Santana III line-up.

It's like he is redoing everything from the early days, 2 albums by 2 different band line ups :)
i.e. Abraxas (Santana II) and Santana III the one band - and then came Caravanserai first one album with new line up after he fired his previous band. Great album too, nothing sounds like Caravanserai that he has ever done prior or after.
My favourite albums are Abraxas and Santana III, thus IV would be the album out of any other artist that I am looking forward to get/hear/buy/bounce... everything Big smile  Approve 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 19:26
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

My favourite albums are Abraxas and Santana III, thus IV would be the album out of any other artist that I am looking forward to get/hear/buy/bounce... everything Big smile  Approve 

Once I was driving on the freeway to a great record store to pick up some music, and I had this ritual of not putting on a CD or Sirius. I just switched between a couple frequencies (stations)...

...out of the speakers came "Batuka," crackling with so much incendiary energy that it pretty much ruined the rest of the drive because no other piece of spontaneously aired music could match it! LOL
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 20:07
I just read this and I had ordered some merch from the Santana store before that arrived Friday - a hat, a bumper sticker, a bag, and some custom guitar picks thrown in the order for good measure. Big smile

I expect something really good to come out of this.  Sure it won't likely be as progressive as Santana was at his peak progressive period which came after working with these musicians, but it will still be good music.

(Verdict's still out on the picks... heheheheh)
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 05:06

LOL

It's like he is redoing everything from the early days, 2 albums by 2 different band line ups :)
i.e. Abraxas (Santana II) and Santana III the one band - and then came Caravanserai first one album with new line up after he fired his previous band. Great album too, nothing sounds like Caravanserai that he has ever done prior or after.

Hi Sonia

Actually Carlos got sort of fired by the rest of the band (they even did a tour without him)... Admittedly, they were all screwed up by too much drugs at the time.

If you want another Caravanserai, try Borboletta.. it's a bit of a little sister (despite a fairly different line-up), though not as perfect  as its bigger sibbling.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 07:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

LOL

Hi Sonia

Actually Carlos got sort of fired by the rest of the band (they even did a tour without him)... Admittedly, they were all screwed up by too much drugs at the time.

If you want another Caravanserai, try Borboletta.. it's a bit of a little sister (despite a fairly different line-up), though not as perfect  as its bigger sibbling.

Hey Sean,
I was under the impression that it was the opposite SmileConfusedLOL
Borboletta, sounds familiar to me (maybe it isn't). I'll listen thank you, very much.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 10:26
Nah Sonia, if you want something akin to Caravanserai then go for Lotus. Hands down the best release Santana ever did - hell even the cuts from Caravanserai sound sooooo much better on it.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 13:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Nah Sonia, if you want something akin to Caravanserai then go for Lotus. Hands down the best release Santana ever did - hell even the cuts from Caravanserai sound sooooo much better on it.

Ha! Yes, this is the live album, I never listened to this one before, wasn't sure if the sound quality was any good.
Now, I must! Wow, thank you, David!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2015 at 13:37
Yeah I had second thoughts regarding the quality, sorryEmbarrassed

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>