Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedANNETTE PEACOCK for Fusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ANNETTE PEACOCK for Fusion
    Posted: November 11 2015 at 12:23
In praise of ANNETTE PEACOCK (1941-)

For a moment, let's get BACK TO BASICS, shall we?
What does this whole thing PROG really reffer to?
Let's start with the actual meaning of the noun "Progressive" - I know this matter can't be reduced to a question of mere semanthics - it could give us some perspective to the point I want to make later.

"In favour of new ideas, modern methods and change", that's what the dictionary tells us.
Well, that' s almost the exact description of the creative work, in music and more, of this innovative Artist.

NEW IDEAS - She started composing at the age of four and would lately evolve to writing "in an idiom she calls the "free-form song" which emphasizes the use of space in contrast to the busy, cacophonous tendencies of free jazz."

From a very young age she was also involved in alternative cultural and lifestyle movements, for example as an early participant (1961-1962) in Dr. Timothy Leary's psychedelic culture experiments and a longtime adherent of Zen Macrobiotics; all this creatively reflects both in her poetic writing and innovative composing.

Her avant-garde compositions started appearing on the legendary experimentalist jazz pianist Paul Bley recordings (whom she would lately be married to) as soon as 1964, at the age of 23.

In the lyrics she never shied away from including political/feministic/irreverent points of view, sometimes with provocative reflections very well ahead of their time.

MODERN METHODS - Since her own first recordings she started experimenting with Moog synthesizers and early vocoder technology (we're talking late sixties!)

"...Peacock is an unsung pioneer of electronic music. Years before the commercial emergence of synthesizers, she received a prototype from inventor Robert Moog. This prompted her to synthesize her own voice, which according to most reports had never been done before. Ultimately these experiments brought about an innovative 1971 album, The Bley/Peacock Synthesizer Show. " in ALLMUSIC's Artist Biography by David R. Adler

And besides being already a singer, poet and composer, and apart from her original piano playing style and boldly free vocal improvisation, she also kept on playing bass, electric piano and electric vibraphone, in studio and live.

She collaborated with Bruford, singing as well as co-writing, on his first solo project, 1977 Feels Good to Me, which became a prog-rock/jazz fusion classic.

Throughout the next years she was also the guest vocalist of Bruford's band on tour.

Bruford would later play in her 1978 album "X-Dreams", in which she guested also other musicians of progressive fame like Chris Spedding (Nucleus), Rick Marotta (Steely Dan), Mick Ronson (Bowie), Brian Godding (Magma, Centipede), Peter Lemer (Gilgamesh, Phil Miller), Jeff Clyne (Nucleus, Isotope) and others.

We have to acknowledge that right from the very beginning she favoured the cutting edge of the Fusion scene as well as she had the Jazz scene before that; Wait, and after too! - in 1992 both her exes Bley and Gary Peacock in trio with Franz Koglmann recorded an album from compositions of Annette named exactly that "Annette". As Thom Jurek wrote for its ALLMUSIC review:

"There isn't anything else to play after Annette that wouldn't seem superfluous or bombastic. With this album, the trio of Bley, Peacock, and Koglmann has created more than just a tribute to a great if nearly completely unknown artist -- it has offered a look deep inside the musical psyche of a true original. " and "...the listener has encountered a world of musical sound so completely focused within that, for a few moments, it is difficult to hear or see anything outside of its muted colors and textures. "

CHANGE - A true precursor of REAL Fusion, blending together Jazz & Rock & Pop, in a personalized manner till then unseen, with the added value of being a female songwriter recording under her name.

In 1972 the UK music magazine The Wire received her first solo album "I'm the One" as one of the top 100 records that "set fire to the world".

Always an original, throughout her career recorded some covers, namely of Elvis songs, addapting them to a jazzy mood very much of her own.

Well, what has all this to do with PA ?

As you will be able to judge yourselves, my progressive friends, from the links I give below, it's all there:

"avoid common popular music song structures of verse-chorus-bridge"  check
"blur the formal distinctions by extending sections or inserting musical interludes"  check
"extended instrumental passages, marrying the classical solo tradition with the improvisational traditions of jazz and psychedelic rock"  check
"adding instruments more typical of jazz or folk music, such as flute, saxophone"  check
"electronic keyboards, synthesizers, and electronic effects...notably the Moog synthesizer and the Mellotron"   check
" time signatures other than 4/4 and tempo changes"   check
"irregular or complex Time Signatures. "  check
"mainstream rock are often supplanted by jazz and classical influences"  check
"Melodies... developing passages than short, catchy ones. "   check
" early adopters of new electronic musical instruments and technologies"   check
"avoid typical rock/pop subjects such as love, dancing, etc."   check

You may even not love her music, but that's not the question here and now; My point - the girl (now 74) is PROGRESSIVE all-over and we better put an end to this shameless omission in our beloved PA.

For the sake of objectivity I won't disperse your attention to whole discography but focuse on two examples, taken from her most well-known albums:

Real & Defined Androgens (1978 X-DREAMS)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGYbrH-Hag

Survival (1979 PERFECT RELEASE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKSk_aT5EY0

Listen attentively and then tell me what you think
Meanwhile you may also want to read this

Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annette_Peacock

Allmusic

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/annette-peacock-mn0000489207/biography

Gibraltar Encyclopedia

http://www.gepr.net/pa.html#PEACOCKANNETTE

TheQuietus magazine (excelent article/interview)

http://thequietus.com/articles/15423-annette-peacock-interview

The Guardian review

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/jul/14/annette-peacock-im-the-one-review

Popmatters review

http://www.popmatters.com/review/187589-annette-peacock-i-belong-to-a-world-thats-destroying-itself/

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 19:25
Clap
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 00:58
well constructed bid for AP's inclusion, but I still say she's a very borderline inclusion (who else after: Carla Bley?)

of the three 70's album of hers I know, she's more like the Patty Smith of Jazz, but she's worked with Bruford as well.

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 06:08
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

well constructed bid for AP's inclusion, but I still say she's a very borderline inclusion (who else after: Carla Bley?)

of the three 70's album of hers I know, she's more like the Patty Smith of Jazz, but she's worked with Bruford as well.

I know what you mean, back in the day I used to listen a lot to Patti Smith and so I understand the comparison - but wait, that is a compliment, innovation and creativity aplenty from both ladies.

I also agree, how couldn't I, with your point of this being a borderline case, hence the extra challenge for you/us all to meet a judgement: albeit her mixed bag of influences and trends is she worthy of our attention ?

I surely think so, because that's the point, isn't it, to present her work to our fellow proggers thinking they might appreciate it;

I dare to say the goal to new inclusions  should be (humble opinion of a newcomer) not to give a Seal-of-Approval of Prog purity, just the opposite - to welcome diversity and expand genres frontiers beyond the "cannonic".

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 08:13
I didn't know her, quite interesting music. Very nice introduction too Thumbs Up

By the way, do you think our fellow countrymen Ananga Ranga are good enough to be suggested for Fusion? I acquired their first album recently and I was really surprised Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 10:16

She's listed here under fusion HuguesWink

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 10:24
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

She's listed here under fusion HuguesWink

I'll be darned if I suspected ConfusedShockedOuchLOL
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 10:30
We should make a small sub with only Bley and Peacock in it: proto-Björk.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 13:12
For some reason I thought she had already been evaluated.
I searched and found that she has not.

She is now in the JR/F chart.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Komandant Shamal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2015 at 19:02
Annette Peacock album "I'm The One" [i see now thats mentioned in the OP] from 1972 is progressive fusion with no doubt.

Edited by Komandant Shamal - November 12 2015 at 19:05
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 15:33
I'm sorry to say she was rejected by JR/F.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 16:50

I'm truly shocked, believe me!

Who are these bonzos ????

I'm joking, but just to relieve my sorrow.

Well, no problem being rejected, the loss is not for me...

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 17:09
Annette Peacock plays in London's Cafe Oto 20 and 23 November. I probably can't go Cry but it's great that she's still active.
 Post Reply Post Reply