Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNext decade of golf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Who dominates the next decade of pro golf?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [50.00%]
1 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next decade of golf
    Posted: November 13 2015 at 14:03
Don't know that there are many golf fans here but I'll ask anyway.
To me this list best represents the future of professional golf and those who are most likely to dominate it.  There are only two names on this list who have hit the age 30, and they are just barely over.  If everyone stays healthy the next decade+ promises to be very entertaining. 
Who do you think dominates (wins the most big events) in the next decade of golf?

By the way, don't say Tiger.. he is D-O-N-E, DONE.

Time always wins.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 14:19
Bubba Watson
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 15:07
Bobby Jones
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 15:17
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Bubba Watson

That'd classify as "Some old guy"

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Bobby Jones

That'd classify as "Some dead guy"

Time always wins.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 15:19
Okay I am sticking with my pick.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 16:32
Ollie Schniederjans
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 17:30
Tiger Woods.  Number two on the all time PGA win totals list  (Sam Sneed has 82, Tiger has 79).  With the closest active player today sitting 37 wins BEHIND Tiger.  Every time Tiger tees it up in a tournament he has the potential of taking another step closer to history.  If he can make it back to tour play, from his most recent back surgery, I'll be watching him.  And he still has a chance at eclipsing the majors all time total of 18, remember Ben Hogan won six majors after a near fatal car accident where doctors told him he'd never walk again.  Anything is possible.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 22:48
Tiger Woods is DONE.  Too many injuries, both physical and mental.  His swing is completely unreliable and his mental game is in shambles.  It's unlikely he'll ever be completely healthy again and, even when he was, last year he's played like junk.  That and the competition is drastically better than it ever was in the pathetic era that was his prime.  Could see him winning at Bay Hill, Muirfield Village, or Torrey Pines again but never another major.  Certainly no way in hell, at age 40 (be 40 in December), he'll dominate the next decade in his best case scenario.

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 22:53
Since nobody has actually voted, though, I'm going to go ahead and side with Jordan Spieth narrowly over Day.  Big McIlroy fan, as well, but he's shown a tendency toward self-inflicted setbacks (the Nike deal cost him a season, the engagement, the soccer injury, putting woes) that Jordan hasn't.  If Spieth can steer clear of the pitfalls of swing changes, equipment changes, and women then he could smash Jack's major record.

Time always wins.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2015 at 23:11
Byeong Hun An?!   What are you nuts?   Quo Chun-mai Shuk will kick his ass.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 15:13
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Tiger Woods is DONE.  Too many injuries, both physical and mental.  His swing is completely unreliable and his mental game is in shambles.  It's unlikely he'll ever be completely healthy again and, even when he was, last year he's played like junk.  That and the competition is drastically better than it ever was in the pathetic era that was his prime.  Could see him winning at Bay Hill, Muirfield Village, or Torrey Pines again but never another major.  Certainly no way in hell, at age 40 (be 40 in December), he'll dominate the next decade in his best case scenario.
A win for Tiger at Bay Hill, Muirfield Village, and Torrey Pines would tie him for the most wins in PGA history.  Jack Nicklaus won his last major at age 46.  By the way the US Open Returns To Torrey Pines in 2021.  Tiger will be 45.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 15:55
Tiger will also probably be in a wheelchair.  Even if he is healthy he's completely lost his swing and his mental game.  In his last decent performance he gone blown past on the weekend by a field of web.comers and by a senior tour guy that he used to own.  No intimidation, much better competition level, constant and pathetic swing changes, 40 years old in December, injuries that won't go away.  There's nothing in there that spells success.  Every athlete loses it at some point, no matter who they are, and he's lost it.

Time always wins.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 16:43
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Tiger will also probably be in a wheelchair.  Even if he is healthy he's completely lost his swing and his mental game.  In his last decent performance he gone blown past on the weekend by a field of web.comers and by a senior tour guy that he used to own.  No intimidation, much better competition level, constant and pathetic swing changes, 40 years old in December, injuries that won't go away.  There's nothing in there that spells success.  Every athlete loses it at some point, no matter who they are, and he's lost it.
I assume you're talking about the Wyndham Championship where Tiger finished tied for 10th place. (less than three weeks later Tiger had back surgery to remove a disk fragment)  Davis Love III who won the tournament was age 51. That gives Tiger at least another 11 years to win a few more tournaments.  In 2014 there was a movie called 'The Imitation Game'.  In it there was a quote that fits Tiger (and his whole career) to a 'tee', "Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine."

PS: Least you forget Tiger is still the big draw in golf.
From NBC Sports:
the Wyndham Championship scored a 3.9 rating according to Nielsen. That is the best rating for any tournament that isn’t a major championship since May of 2013 when The Players drew a 5.7 on NBC during a Tiger win.

Edited by dwill123 - November 14 2015 at 16:53
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 19:44
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Byeong Hun An?!   What are you nuts?   Quo Chun-mai Shuk will kick his ass.

funny... I was just telling a friend that today. ClapLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 19:54
I don't care how big a draw he is.  He's done and I couldn't be happier.  Was a jerk and a cheater who had no respect for the game, media, or fans.  It's shame he's had the following he's had.  His results deserved all the respect in the world but the player, himself, did not.  All that said, I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make about him possibly winning a another couple tournaments.  Picking up a handful more regular tour events (which I doubt he will) certain doesn't equate to dominating a decade.  Name recognition isn't winning him any more events, as seen by the event where he finished 10th.  That should in no way be seen as a positive week for him.  He had the lead going into the weekend over a field of junior tour guys and, like a said the senior tour member (Love) that he used to beat like a rented mule, on a course that didn't require hitting driver (which he can't do) and yet he's in such a state of mental decay and his intimidation factor is so totally gone that he fell backwards and became simply another also ran (had to backdoor the top 10 with some meaningless late birdies).  And that failure comes before yet another back surgery.

Time always wins.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 20:01
Golf was great before Tiger.. it will be great without him.  Say what you will about him, and I have a lot to say. None of it nice. He brought a lot of popularity and spotlight to Golf. Forget the ratings, true fans tuned in before and they will after he retires. What he did is stimulate a world wide explosion and thus the great 'foreign' talents we have.

That said, a despicable person.

Personally I enjoy watching him fall flat more than watching him run laps around the likes of club pros and rich un motivated 50 somethings like Raymond Floyd as he did in his dominant years.  He win a quarter of what he did if he if he started out now. He was giant in a field of mental midgets and we ALL know Golf is 99% mental. hahah
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 20:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Golf was great before Tiger.. it will be great without him.  Say what you will about him, and I have a lot to say. None of it nice. He brought a lot of popularity and spotlight to Golf. Forget the ratings, true fans tuned in before and they will after he retires. What he did is stimulate a world wide explosion and thus the great 'foreign' talents we have.

That said, a despicable person.

Personally I enjoy watching him fall flat more than watching him run laps around the likes of club pros and rich un motivated 50 somethings like Raymond Floyd as he did in his dominant years.  He win a quarter of what he did if he if he started out now. He was giant in a field of mental midgets and we ALL know Golf is 99% mental. hahah

Clap

Time always wins.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 11:25
Two comments to ponder made in 2015 by the media:

Woods’ presence in the game has made the players on the PGA Tour and everyone else surrounding the game countless millions of dollars and opened up endless opportunities for many.  -  New York Post

Give Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy and Bubba Watson all the green jackets you’d like. Tiger Woods is still the face of professional golf.  -  Market Watch
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 11:57
I'm hoping Volkswagen goes back to the original for inspiration.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 11:23
I like Happy Gilmour, that is as much Golf that i care to watch..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>