Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson "Red"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 16:51
Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

It's interesting that Red was one of Kurt Cobain's favorites, as I thought Red had a 90s alternative grunge sound. That was surprising to me coming from a 70s band. Out of all the Crimson albums I've heard so far, I like Red the least. I don't have a favorite yet. Still have to listen to more of their albums.

Be it grunge or post rock, Red had something dirty and direct about it, some kind of opposition against all too polished pretentious music (while still being quite complex) that paved the way for an aesthetic that was still to develop. In this sense it was a truly progressive album, to the point of being up against how some people had come to understand "progressive" as some kind of rather conservative, clean and somewhat "remoted from real life" genre. (You find some of these elements also in some output of Peter Hammill/VDGG before the 80s.)

Thinking about this I realise that I hated King Crimson's Earthbound live LP so much that I sold it and never came back to it because of its diabolically ugly sound, but one could well think that this was a predecessor of this aesthetic. I remember having read a positive review about Earthbound from the time when it came out in Sounds and being totally bewildered by the fact that anybody could like this. I think now I'd understand better what this was about. Perhaps this was a very early punk record.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 18:21
Couldn't have said it better.  And for those reasons, Red is the only one of their albums that speaks to me at an emotional level.  Just love the directness of the music; just leaps out of the speaker.  Discipline also leaps out of the speaker but by being very rhythmically pulsating.  Again, Fripp was very much in step with the times.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 21:28
Its pull-no-punches overall bleakness was magnificently realized, but it lacks the change of mood in the other two, which have lighter moods to enjoy.
So I'll go with USA so I can get material from all threeBig smile
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 21:48
I remember reading a review of "Red" at the time that said that the faces of Fripp, Wetton and Bruford on the album cover very accurately reflected the mood of their music on the album.  I've always thought that was a very accurate comment, you decide! 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 11:14
If said mood reads "intense," then yes...accurate!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 22:09
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

Its pull-no-punches overall bleakness was magnificently realized, but it lacks the change of mood in the other two, which have lighter moods to enjoy.
So I'll go with USA so I can get material from all threeBig smile

I have not got USA, but as I understand it, I prefer Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, which includes the same concert from USA, but without edits and overdubs (Eddie Jobson over David Cross, as far as I understand, on USA). Plus, it has another concert which contains my very favourite version of Starless.
heartscore View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 12:55
I love "Red", especially the title track and starless. There is just one thing, which beclouds this work: "The titletrack sounds very close to the music of the "Mahavishnu orchestra".
setting poems to progressive metal
Listen to my music on bandcamp
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 13:50
The HE-double hockey sticks it does!

Edited by Rednight - November 29 2015 at 13:51
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 13:55
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I remember reading a review of "Red" at the time that said that the faces of Fripp, Wetton and Bruford on the album cover very accurately reflected the mood of their music on the album.  I've always thought that was a very accurate comment, you decide! 

<div style="text-align: center;">

According to the literature in the 30th anniversary edition of Red, each of the three musicians were photographed separately and then the photos were combined for the resultant group shot. I'd say Wetton looks amused by the proceedings.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 16:17
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The HE-double hockey sticks it does!

Yeah....I've heard people say that before but it's simply not the case. MO did use those ascending and descending fusion chords on several of their tracks from the first 2 albums but it's  different in style and far more fusiony than  the sequence used on Red by KC. I have no doubt that Fripp was familiar with McLaughlin being a well known guitarist but I doubt if they intended to mimic MO  on Red.

Edited by dr wu23 - November 29 2015 at 16:19
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 17:13

This article showed up online:

Although I do enjoy "Red," I don't consider it to be my favorite of the LTIA era KC albums.  I thought that LTIA was the superior LP of the three, but I'm sure this is controversial. 

Interesting that Bob deliberately "held Crimson back" from commercial success!!  What was he thinking??

Thoughts?
I prefer LTiA as well. Red has its moments, like on "Starless" and "Red", but like Starless and Bible Black, which has "The Night Watch" (a personal favorite) and "Great Deceiver", it's not as complete as LTiA, to my ears anyway.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2015 at 19:44
USA is probably my favorite album - I love the way the guitar and bass sound, and the energy of the performances. That's part of why LTiA isn't at the top, because I much prefer the USA version of "LTiA Part 2" both sound- and performance-wise. That being said, my favorite studio album is Red. As a bassist, I was definitely influenced by the distorted bass sounds of John Wetton and I feel that Red has the best mix of production/sound, songs, and performance. Love the title track, the multitracked bass solo in "Fallen Angel," and the climax in "Starless" gets me every time.

I'm not going to say one album is better than another - for instance, someone said they like Starless & Bible Black best, whereas I have never liked it, so different aspects of these albums touch us differently.

I will say, though, that I have probably over-listened this album over the years - probably first heard it in the late '80s? - so I don't listen to it much now, or much King Crimson in general.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2015 at 22:05
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

USA is probably my favorite album - I love the way the guitar
and bass sound, and the energy of the performances. That's part of why LTiA isn't at the top, because I much prefer the USA version of "LTiA Part 2" both sound- and performance-wise. That being said, my favorite studio album is Red. As a bassist, I was definitely influenced by the distorted bass sounds of John Wetton and I feel that Red
has the best mix of production/sound, songs, and performance. Love the
title track, the multitracked bass solo in "Fallen Angel," and the
climax in "Starless" gets me every time.

I'm not going to say one album is better than another - for instance, someone said they like Starless & Bible Black best, whereas I have never liked it, so different aspects of these albums touch us differently.

I
will say, though, that I have probably over-listened this album over
the years - probably first heard it in the late '80s? - so I don't
listen to it much now, or much King Crimson in general.

I don't have USA, but I do have Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, which features the same concert, but without overdubs nor edits. And Larks Toungues in particular I like better on the original album. Songs like Easy Money and Exiles do sound stronger on live versions, but LTiA pt 2 really misses Jamie Muir IMO. The percussions are just crazy with him.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2015 at 23:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

And Larks Toungues in particular I like better on the original album. Songs like Easy Money and Exiles do sound stronger on live versions, but LTiA pt 2 really misses Jamie Muir IMO. The percussions are just crazy with him.

I agree!
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 20:22
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't have USA, but I do have Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, which features the same concert, but without overdubs nor edits. And Larks Toungues in particular I like better on the original album. Songs like Easy Money and Exiles do sound stronger on live versions, but LTiA pt 2 really misses Jamie Muir IMO. The percussions are just crazy with him.

I can see that Re: Jamie Muir on the original. I think my identity as a bassist colors my feelings on the song. I believe that I have read that John Wetton was gradually developing his distorted bass sound - to me, the sound on USA is just perfect and then they carried it over onto Red.

If I ever end up diving back into LTiA (the album) the percussion angle is a good perspective to approach it from. Wasn't Jamie Muir involved in some stuff with Derek Bailey pre-Crimson? I used to be more up on this stuff...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 22:10
I guess I would have to listen to them both again too, paying attention to the bass. When I knew about the format of one drummer and one percusionist, I thought it was unecessary, but then listening to King Crimson, I know they can really add to the music with this format (the double trio is another example of how great they can do such things). What do you think of 21st Century Schizoid Man played by the Wetton line-up? I think the version I like is also from USA (or Collectible King Crimson, as I know it). I think both Wetton and Bruford upgraded the song incredibly with their input, and love it so much more than the original (and the fact that I like it played with guitar more than with sax seals the deal for me).
CapnBearbossa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 11:48
I can easily imagine why Fripp wanted to hold King Crimson from the brink of massive commercial success.
As with anything, success in small amounts is useful. It pays bills and enables you to pursue your craft further, so success in moderate measure is why KC is still around ....

But, more of a good thing isn't always better. A look at Fripp and his band shows the way they have always preferred to do things (and some including Robert himself would say this is what King Crimson "means") includes avant-garde exploration and improvisation. How many groups attain massive commercial success and still find the freedom to pursue their artistic craft with this kind of freedom?  I can't think of one.
After you've grappled with a ravenous critical press and huge fan-base pinning down who-you-are and what-you-do, you become labelled, codified, and then imprisoned by mass expectations.

That's the kind of thing I would always want to head off at the pass, were I in Fripp's position.

Edited by CapnBearbossa - August 25 2016 at 11:48
Will higher mighty force redeem
the one who dropped the moral compass,
failed to fulfill the dream?
-Ian Anderson
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 12:21
Originally posted by CapnBearbossa CapnBearbossa wrote:

How many groups attain massive commercial success and still find the freedom to pursue their artistic craft with this kind of freedom?  I can't think of one.
After you've grappled with a ravenous critical press and huge fan-base pinning down who-you-are and what-you-do, you become labelled, codified, and then imprisoned by mass expectations.

I guess it depends on how you are defining massive commercial success. Rush is a band that attained a high level of commercial success with Moving Pictures and then turned around and went in another direction. Same thing with 2112. They've always done what they wanted to do, regardless of critical press and large fan base. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 14:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

It's interesting that Red was one of Kurt Cobain's favorites, as I thought Red had a 90s alternative grunge sound. That was surprising to me coming from a 70s band. Out of all the Crimson albums I've heard so far, I like Red the least. I don't have a favorite yet. Still have to listen to more of their albums.

Be it grunge or post rock, Red had something dirty and direct about it, some kind of opposition against all too polished pretentious music (while still being quite complex) that paved the way for an aesthetic that was still to develop. In this sense it was a truly progressive album, to the point of being up against how some people had come to understand "progressive" as some kind of rather conservative, clean and somewhat "remoted from real life" genre. (You find some of these elements also in some output of Peter Hammill/VDGG before the 80s.)

Very much agree. The trio versions of Red and Fallen Angel on the SW 40th reissue were gold to me: garage Crimson!  I've always had a problem with the mawkish lyrics (and Wetton's overwrought vocal performance) on Fallen Angel, so the instrumental version was a blessing.  The way I listen to the album on my computer is with the orginal FA switched out for the instrumental trio, and with the trio Red as a coda after Starless.  

Edited by Mascodagama - August 25 2016 at 14:02
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2016 at 14:24

Revisiting this thread I thought this was an interesting comment, but to me the artwork of taking the pic in shadows and black and white with Red in red does more to set the mood than their facial expressions which seem blank to me, except for Wetton who seems to be wanting to smile.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>