Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson "Red"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 21:23
Just read the article. I agree with Fripp. Fripp considered a moment of genius when he came up with the LTIA line up. Perhaps he felt a sense of loss when that line up began evaporating with the loss of Muir and then Cross? Anyway, I always felt first a loss of intricacy and texture after LTIA. Then it seems like there is a loss of improvisation and quirkiness in Red (except for Providence, great piece there). Cross had complained about trying to compete with the wall of sound from Wetton and Bruford. Maybe Fripp felt sympathetic. I don't know, just throwing all that out there. Since when does a Prog fan give a hoot about what Kurt Cobain thought.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 21:30
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

LTIA is bolder but Red has more emotional resonance.  For that reason, I lean towards Red.  All the experimentation on LTIA/SABB crystallised into the finest set of SONGS on a KC album since ITCOTCK.

I'm not sure I would agree that Red has more emotional resonance. It has Starless, of course, but all the other songs don't seem quiet as emotional. LTIA has Exiles, which I find very emotional as well... perhaps even more than starless... and the rest of the album isn't very emotional either... so I guess I would consider them rather similar in the emotion department.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 21:32
Fallen Angel is very emotional too.  IMO more so than Exiles because the former is more focused.  Of course it's just my opinion and it's very difficult to have a discussion about emotional resonance, lol. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 21:43
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Just read the article. I agree with Fripp. Fripp considered a moment of genius when he came up with the LTIA line up. Perhaps he felt a sense of loss when that line up began evaporating with the loss of Muir and then Cross? Anyway, I always felt first a loss of intricacy and texture after LTIA. Then it seems like there is a loss of improvisation and quirkiness in Red (except for Providence, great piece there). Cross had complained about trying to compete with the wall of sound from Wetton and Bruford. Maybe Fripp felt sympathetic. I don't know, just throwing all that out there. Since when does a Prog fan give a hoot about what Kurt Cobain thought.

I met Fripp when he toured US record stores on his "Drive to 1981" tour, and he spoke about why he decided to break King Crimson up.  Someone in the crowd asked him about it, and he told us that he was rattled by the sight of police armed with machine guns at a gig in Italy, and he felt that society was beginning to spiral out of control.  He was also emphatic that the "old" ways of doing things, including rock bands and record companies, were passe, and that the "small, mobile, highly intelligent unit" would prevail.  

Given the events in Paris this week, we have to pause and wonder.... 

The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 23:31
Red is the best King Crimson album.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 12:53
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Posiedon all the way. Red and Larks are a bit hit and miss for me. Wetton bores me a bit

Let's explore that......Wetton is a better bass player than Lake imho and sings almost as well for the most part.
So exactly how does Wetton bore you or did you mean to say the music of his tenure with KC bores you?

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 19:08
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I met Fripp when he toured US record stores on his "Drive to 1981" tour, and he spoke about why he decided to break King Crimson up.  Someone in the crowd asked him about it, and he told us that he was rattled by the sight of police armed with machine guns at a gig in Italy, and he felt that society was beginning to spiral out of control.  He was also emphatic that the "old" ways of doing things, including rock bands and record companies, were passe, and that the "small, mobile, highly intelligent unit" would prevail.  

Given the events in Paris this week, we have to pause and wonder.... 

Indeed. 'Dinosaurs' he referred to them as. He certainly followed the small independent mobile intelligent unit approach. In his solo and collaborative work to follow. I remember an interview in which Fripp criticized the business model of trying to hit it big. He pointed out that an independent self-produced album selling a modest 100,000 copies could amount to a small fortune. Of course he was a little premature in his prediction. There were plenty of arena acts throughout the 80s, including the reformed Crimson.

Edited by HackettFan - November 15 2015 at 19:09
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 20:26

Indeed. 'Dinosaurs' he referred to them as. He certainly followed the small independent mobile intelligent unit approach. In his solo and collaborative work to follow. I remember an interview in which Fripp criticized the business model of trying to hit it big. He pointed out that an independent self-produced album selling a modest 100,000 copies could amount to a small fortune. Of course he was a little premature in his prediction. There were plenty of arena acts throughout the 80s, including the reformed Crimson.

Thanks!  RF told our little record-shop audience that he could make more money selling LPs out of the back of a truck than working with a record label!  

Personally, I don't think so.  Record companies bring vast networks and marketing resources, so you can sell your LP simultaneously in UK, USA, Japan etc.  Try to do THAT with a truck, Bob!  

Meeting Bob was quite remarkable....after he played his Frippertronics performance, he excused himself to go "wash his hands" (I think he used the loo!), and when he was gone, virtually EVERYONE in the store got up and left!!  I hung out, and soon Bob walked out of the back room, big grin and hand outstretched, asking me "...did you like it?"  

Uh, yeah!!  Nothing like meeting your hero!! Clap

Edited by cstack3 - November 15 2015 at 20:27
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2015 at 22:54

Fallen Angel is very emotional too.  IMO more so than Exiles because the former is more focused.  Of course it's just my opinion and it's very difficult to have a discussion about emotional resonance, lol. 

Once again, I may need to listen to it again, but my impression is that Fallen Angel may be more emotional on the lyrics department... yet the music is rather mechanical (on this one and on One More Red Nightmare). On Exiles it is the music that does the trick for me. Still, no song like Epitaph for the emotion department within the King Crimson discography... actually also within prog, and even rock in general.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 09:24
Red is their best for me by far. And it's not because it just has 'Starless'. I find LTIA Pt. I to be on the same level as it. Larks always seemed inconsistent to me (I just do not see the appeal in 'Exiles') and ITCOTCK has been overplayed by me so much that I've lost interest. 
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 15:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Posiedon all the way. Red and Larks are a bit hit and miss for me. Wetton bores me a bit

Let's explore that......Wetton is a better bass player than Lake imho and sings almost as well for the most part.
So exactly how does Wetton bore you or did you mean to say the music of his tenure with KC bores you?

Wink

Apart from the slower tracks, his voice and compositions bore me in his crimson albums. Nightwatch, Saturday and Exiles are the highlights of those 3 albums imo. Red and Larks are cool too though. The rest is ok. Even Starless after it's nice instrumental intro doesn't do much to me. At least on Poseidon we have gems in posiedon, pictures, cadence and catfood. Better vocals and music to me. More jazzed up melodies. The Wetton albums are more rock based

Edited by dr prog - November 16 2015 at 15:08
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 18:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Once again, I may need to listen to it again, but my impression is that Fallen Angel may be more emotional on the lyrics department... yet the music is rather mechanical (on this one and on One More Red Nightmare). On Exiles it is the music that does the trick for me. Still, no song like Epitaph for the emotion department within the King Crimson discography... actually also within prog, and even rock in general.

Wow, guess you react badly to heavy music!  Fallen Angel has amazing textures all throughout and a short but aching Fripp solo.  Nightmare gets even better with McDonald's saxophone solo as well as outro.  They both have a rawness that Epitaph doesn't even come close to, being so mannered and symmetrical.  Wetton's singing is pretty mechanical compared to Lake, that I give, which is one of the reasons why I've never understood the Wetton hype (vocals wise, fantastic bassist).
poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 19:12
It's interesting that Red was one of Kurt Cobain's favorites, as I thought Red had a 90s alternative grunge sound. That was surprising to me coming from a 70s band. Out of all the Crimson albums I've heard so far, I like Red the least. I don't have a favorite yet. Still have to listen to more of their albums.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2015 at 20:33

Wow, guess you react badly to heavy music!  Fallen Angel has amazing textures all throughout and a short but aching Fripp solo.  Nightmare gets even better with McDonald's saxophone solo as well as outro.  They both have a rawness that Epitaph doesn't even come close to, being so mannered and symmetrical.  Wetton's singing is pretty mechanical compared to Lake, that I give, which is one of the reasons why I've never understood the Wetton hype (vocals wise, fantastic bassist).

On the contrary, I rather like Heavy music (and Heavy Metal) a lot... well, up to a certain point, it's got to have melodies I like, and grunting will put me off most of the times). And I'm not saying I don't like Fallen Angel and One more Red Nightmare, it's just that I don't feel they are very emotional in the music department (and, indeed, they were the songs that took me the most time to apreciate on the album - apart from Providence which I still don't like -, but I do like them).

And about Wetton, indeed I have never really liked his singing, and in King Crimson (and UK) it's taken me a lot of time to get used to his voice, and I still like the music despite his singing (I do love his bass playing, though). On Asia, somehow his singing doesn't bother me, except live, where he seems to have some trouble singing as pleasantly. And still, somehow when he has sung Lake's stuff, I find I enjoy his singing very much (as well as when he sings Genesis stuff with Hackett). So, I don't know, I guess it depends on the songs and on the period of his life the recordings were done... and perhaps on whether he had some studio help or not.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 05:29
Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

It's interesting that Red was one of Kurt Cobain's favorites, as I thought Red had a 90s alternative grunge sound. That was surprising to me coming from a 70s band. Out of all the Crimson albums I've heard so far, I like Red the least. I don't have a favorite yet. Still have to listen to more of their albums.

I think it's more the post-rock movement that Red is a precursor to, as filtered through Slint. The combination of minimalistic and austere instrumentation with an epic dramatic tone can be traced back to that album, as well as the entire slow-burn tension-and-release composition style.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 06:24
Originally posted by poeghost poeghost wrote:

It's interesting that Red was one of Kurt Cobain's favorites, as I thought Red had a 90s alternative grunge sound.

That was one of my first thoughts too, when I listened to it. One could easily imagine "Red" (the first track) on a Soundgarden album, for example.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 06:31
Originally posted by Replayer Replayer wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

It's funny that Fripp held Crimson back, and then went and collaborated with none other than Daryl Hall, who was in the beginning stages of the mega-stardom he'd achieve as half of Hall & Oates.

This is some of what Bob said in the article:

“I think John Wetton felt the group was poised for — I have to use the words ‘big time,'” McDonald said in Romano’s book. “He felt the group was, for the first time, on the verge of being widely known.” 

But the iconoclastic Fripp, in that talk with Best, admitted that he’d wasn’t envisioning any such thing. “I never let King Crimson fall into the success trap,” he said. “Several times, we went very close to having a gigantic commercial success. I have always instinctively tried to avoid this success.”

Read More: 41 Years Ago: King Crimson Implode With 'Red''s Arrival | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/king-crimson-red/?trackback=tsmclip

This brought to mind a quote from Frank Herbert's Dune: "And always, he fought the temptation to choose a clear, safe course, warning 'That path leads ever down into stagnation' "

HugSPOT ON
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 09:34

On the contrary, I rather like Heavy music (and Heavy Metal) a lot... well, up to a certain point, it's got to have melodies I like, and grunting will put me off most of the times). And I'm not saying I don't like Fallen Angel and One more Red Nightmare, it's just that I don't feel they are very emotional in the music department (and, indeed, they were the songs that took me the most time to apreciate on the album - apart from Providence which I still don't like -, but I do like them).

And about Wetton, indeed I have never really liked his singing, and in King Crimson (and UK) it's taken me a lot of time to get used to his voice, and I still like the music despite his singing (I do love his bass playing, though). On Asia, somehow his singing doesn't bother me, except live, where he seems to have some trouble singing as pleasantly. And still, somehow when he has sung Lake's stuff, I find I enjoy his singing very much (as well as when he sings Genesis stuff with Hackett). So, I don't know, I guess it depends on the songs and on the period of his life the recordings were done... and perhaps on whether he had some studio help or not.

Which is sort of the point; Red is a pretty damn abrasive album.  Would say more so than melodic prog metal/traditional heavy metal; it's more grungy instead and it's not surprising that Cobain cited it as an influence.  In metal, it's more doom/stoner that evoke a Red-like abrasiveness.  

Agreed about Wetton; I too prefer him with Asia.  I don't mind him with UK either.  But it doesn't work on KC.  Too loud and not dynamic enough for the nature of their music and not very aggressive either.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 10:51
OP here, thanks!  This is a great conversation about a pivotal album in the King Crimson canon.

Regarding Wetton's voice....I found the rawness of his vocals refreshing after the syrupy-sweet vocals of Greg Lake.  His voice has a husky, unpolished quality that I found very compatible with the LTIA material.  

This is a review of the KC Montreal show, which would have featured at one song from "Red" - 

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2015 at 11:38
I like Red - A LOT! Sure, LTIA was a brilliantly artistic album, but Red brought it back a notch without losing a crisp realization of how powerful the LTIA-era players were as a whole. Good thread, Maynard.

Edited by Rednight - November 17 2015 at 11:39
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>