Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProtect the UK, please sign.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 12:14
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'm neither disagreeing with you nor defending Maher. The only point I question (thou' not entirely disagree with) is the view that he has little tolerance of all religions (just) because he is critical of them. His views on islam are extreme and (as Reza Aslan pointed out) he is not very sophisticated in the way that he thinks. The question is: when does holding extreme views or being hyper-critical become intolerance? Which leads into the second, third and fourth questions: Is his criticism of intolerance in other people's views in itself intolerance? Are our criticisms of his views also intolerance? And can we counter intolerance with intolerance? [and my answer to those last three are a reserved "no"].

In my view criticism, however extreme, only becomes intolerance when it deems to interfere with the belief or view it is critical of. The so-called militant atheists (of which Maher states he is not, thou' the distinction is somewhat blurred and a little lost on me) are openly critical of beliefs that impose themselves on a secular view of a free society. Defending a [secular] free society from the imposition of religious beliefs is not intolerance of those beliefs. Where I (to coin Madan's phrase) part ways with those 'militant' atheists is when they turn that defence from the imposition of religious beliefs into an attack on those those religious beliefs that deems to interfere with the 'right' to hold those religious beliefs[I'm not a 'defender of rights' in the same sense that some appear to be in internet discussions, I do not feel obliged to (thou shalt...) defend anyone's right to hold a view that I disagree with. I could never bring myself to defend anyone's right to be a racist for example.]
The key point here as how you and I define fanatical intolerance in opposition to views like those held by Mr. Maher. As I stated before, but not in great detail, is that to me fanatical intolerance of Mr. Maher's views would manifest itself in people calling for the censorship of Maher and his views by means of either boycotting his TV show, requesting for the cancelation of his TV show, calling for his network to fire him, etc.

This IMO is the manifestation of fanatical intolerance as it is an attack on Maher's right to free speech because in effect it would be an effort to silence him. This is my own personal stance as others would feel justified in calling for the censure of individuals with these types of views. Although their call for censorship is totally understandable to me, I personally disagree with it as the need to protect an individual's rights and freedoms, as guaranteed under the Law, is and will always be my overriding concern.

So to me, any other reaction or overreaction to Mr. Maher's views, whether real or perceived, does not concern me as long as Mr. Maher's right to free speech as well as any other of his constitutional or civil rights is not threatened. Hence, these views to me would not be fanatical.

Simply put, it is up to your own judgment, as well as the judgment of others (whether good or bad) to form an opinion as to whether an individual's views concerning a fanatic are themselves fanatical. And to re-emphasize, to me a fanatical view is one that places an American citizen's civil rights in jeopardy of being violated.

Edited by RayRo - November 21 2015 at 12:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2015 at 12:52
^ please use the edit option from the "Post Option" menu, double posting is annoying even when you delete the first because two email notifications get sent out.
What?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 02:34

^ please use the edit option from the "Post Option" menu, double posting is annoying even when you delete the first because two email notifications get sent out.

It's not a personal remark, but maybe Admins and ex-Admins can sensitize M@X about the following issue

It would be a good idea to extract the "edit post" out from under the "post option", simply because it's not visible hidden under there, therefore may just be ignored... all the moreso that under the other posts (not posted by you), the "edit" function is (obviously) not available

PA is the only forum site where the "edit post" button is not plainly visible on each one of your own posts.
I mean PA forum is still (despite its considerable age and "software technology") one of the most comfortable around, but this is a weakness - whether it can be solved easily is another issue, though

RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 14:15

Generally, but not always, deletion of a post is difficult for a site administrator to view as opposed to posts that are edited. In other words, they have access to posts prior to the author editing them.

So, you can proceed in either one of two ways. You can either cease clicking on the "Email Notify me of Replies" box, or I will simply not respond to your posts. Whichever one works for you is fine with me. Just let me know.
Vive Le France!!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by RayRo RayRo wrote:

Generally, but not always, deletion of a post is difficult for a site administrator to view as opposed to posts that are edited. In other words, they have access to posts prior to the author editing them.

So, you can proceed in either one of two ways. You can either cease clicking on the "Email Notify me of Replies" box, or I will simply not respond to your posts. Whichever one works for you is fine with me. Just let me know.
It is a free internet dude. Just trying to be helpful in my typical brusque manner. If that offends you, then do whatever gives you the least discomfort.
What?
RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 15:57

It is a free internet dude. Just trying to be helpful in my typical brusque manner. If that offends you, then do whatever gives you the least discomfort.
And while we were discussing "Post Option" versus "Email Notify Me of Reply" box, I've overlooked an excellent point you brought up about defending someone views that you dislike.

And in truth, I've probably sidestepped it as the most difficult thing an advocate can do is try to protect some bigot's right to free speech. I've done it in the past and will no doubt do so again in the future.

Everyone who does this has a different agenda as to why a person's right to free speech should be protected as either protecting the person's Constitutional right or other noble reason. For me personally it has simply been about the need to bring someone's views to light so that we can recognize them if they're based on hate or bias, and to have a discussion with those persons in order to help determine from where those feelings originated. And perhaps to try to evaluate and hopefully change what has motivated that individual's feelings of hate and bias.

Some would believe that driving the thoughts and feelings of haters underground is a solution. For me its simply a case of an ostrich sticking it's head in the sand. Sooner or later that head will emerge to cause havoc. We can only battle what we see in the light.

Edited by RayRo - November 24 2015 at 16:29
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2015 at 18:47
Victory

Government responded

The UK government will keep Britain’s borders open to legitimate travellers and trade. It will continue to operate those borders securely, to protect the public from the threat of terrorism.

The UK government intends to keep Britain’s borders open, remaining ‘open for business’ for legitimate travellers and trade. However, we continue to operate our borders securely and to enforce our immigration laws. This includes carrying out 100% checks on arriving passengers to establish any criminal, security and immigration concerns. Given recent events in Paris, Border Force has intensified checks on people, goods and vehicles entering the UK from the near continent and elsewhere, undertaking additional and targeted security checks against passengers and vehicles travelling to France via both maritime and rail ports and a number of airports across the country.

Home Office

What?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 08:53
^Clap

Curiously, while here in the Idiotic States of America the GOP (and some democrats) in the House passed a resolution strengthening the vetting process for accepting Syrian refugees, in France, recently attacked, they remained open to help them. 

RayRo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 11:02

Victory

Government responded

The UK government will keep Britain’s borders open to legitimate travellers and trade. It will continue to operate those borders securely, to protect the public from the threat of terrorism.

The UK government intends to keep Britain’s borders open, remaining ‘open for business’ for legitimate travellers and trade. However, we continue to operate our borders securely and to enforce our immigration laws. This includes carrying out 100% checks on arriving passengers to establish any criminal, security and immigration concerns. Given recent events in Paris, Border Force has intensified checks on people, goods and vehicles entering the UK from the near continent and elsewhere, undertaking additional and targeted security checks against passengers and vehicles travelling to France via both maritime and rail ports and a number of airports across the country.

Home Office

I never doubted this for a minute. However, the petition does draw attention to the fear and over reaction of a portion of the British populous regarding this issue. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 11:18
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 22:37

I never doubted this for a minute. However, the petition does draw attention to the fear and over reaction of a portion of the British populous regarding this issue. 

Yeah well it's an island and a fairly homogeneous one until the last century, I'm guessing Brits have come a long way in their attitudes toward 'outsiders'.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789