Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreat unknown guitar solo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great unknown guitar solo
    Posted: November 22 2015 at 14:29
Hello

I have been trying to identify the soundclip below för more than 15 years. Now I will do one more try and see if this community can help me!
It is an instrumental piece of music about two minutes long. Heavy guitar melody with some organ. Bad quality since it is from a a tape from the 80's.

I would be enormously grateful if some one could help me with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZGEqxe46k

If link does not work just search for "unknown guitar solo hardrock" on you tube.

Daniel

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 15:49
I listened to it Pinky and it doesn't ring any bells for me. Sounds like something from the mid to late 60's or early 70's   based on it's style.....but it could be almost any band back then ....there's nothing particularly definitive about the playing or the piece of music.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 23:39
Originally posted by Pinky1965 Pinky1965 wrote:

HelloI have been trying to identify the soundclip below för more than 15 years. Now I will do one more try and see if this community can help me!
It is an instrumental piece of music about two minutes long. Heavy guitar melody with some organ. Bad quality since it is from a a tape from the 80's.

I would be enormously grateful if some one could help me with this one.

Daniel

Frankly it sounds like Gary Moore.   It could also be Schenker.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Pinky1965 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 10:44
Thankyou for answers.
Have been thinking in the same direction as Atavachron, especially Schenker. Have also been thinking about Blackmore. A guitarist I know tells me its definitely a Stratocaster. It's just so strange that Shazam or similar does not recognize it, probably sound quality. Have to spend some time on Schenker discography... 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2015 at 01:16
And Moore put out a bunch of product in the 80s & 90s -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Pinky1965 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 19:08
´Some additional information; this is pre 1986 (I know this since a friend asked me back then what song this was). Have been listening to Moore and this is not him. To me it does sound more like "heavy progressive". I have been collecting kraut records for decades and think it could be from that genre (Jane, Satin Whale, Grobschnitt etc....) Would love to hear the rest from the song... Does anyone have a clue?...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 20:14
Still searching?  That's persistence.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 07:29
Originally posted by Pinky1965 Pinky1965 wrote:

I have been collecting kraut records for decades and think it could be from that genre (Jane, Satin Whale, Grobschnitt etc....)

The first thing I thought too, the repetitive guitar line over the droning organ sound - Eloy perhaps? Wallenstein?  It even sounds a bit familiar but it doesn't match any specific song I can think of, sorry.  But hat I could make out of the drum sounds had an '80's sound I think...
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 09:27
Just to make this a bit easier.

Pinky1965 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 14:41
Thank you for answers and help with link!
To Atavachron; persistance? no probably madness...
Interesting thing is that Eloy, Jane, most of Grobschnitt etc they are all on Shazam. This is also why I dont think it is anglo-american since basically all rarities from that part of the world are also on Shazam. Lots of the less known bands from the kraut era are not there though (nothing from Sky Records, Madison Dyke, Second Movement etc.). (I wonder if there is a connection to rereleases on CD and who is on Shazam)? My nightmare is that it is a bootleg, but I don't think so. I can also hear some 80's in the sound production even if the organ is really 70s style. Another thing I thought about is if it is twin guitars or if it is just studio work? Number of bands with twin guitars are limited...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2016 at 17:07
His vibrato is very distinctive, especially at the end, and his style is blues-based with a kind of melodic minimalism--  if it ain't Moore, this player was influenced by him.

Post Reply Post Reply