Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (151)

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [71.43%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
1 [14.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (151)
    Posted: November 25 2015 at 04:14
Bjorn J:Son Lindh : Fran storstad till grodspad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-0Pvk1MQw8

Holocausto : Aleluya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33qcNqtkknc

L'Infonie : Vol 33-Mantra
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5MOMckrkn8

Nef : Mais alors ?!!! ... C'est à l'envers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGaF716z7dA
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 04:18
Afficher limage dorigine

For it's second album, L'Infonie recorded Walter Boudreau's arrangement of Terry Riley's landmark piece for wind ensemble "In C," here re-titled "Mantra." Boudreau modified it in order to fit L'Infonie's possibilities, but he also added a rhythm section. Therefore, this is the grooviest version of "In C" ever recorded. The bass (electric) and drums support the piano's pulsation, while an assortment of percussion instruments are used to punctuate events as they happen in order to give the piece relief. Riley's score is made of 53 short events placed on a pulsation. Each player has to move from the first to the second to the third, etc., until he reaches number 53, but he can repeat each of them as many times as he wants. Therefore, the piece evolves through some kind of osmosis. This impression is very palpable in L'Infonie's interpretation. The studio they recorded in was using 30-minute tape reels, so the album fades out around number 48. In the liner notes, Boudreau announced the remaining part would be released on a future L'Infonie record, but that promise was never fulfilled.
— Franηois Couture/all music guide

Infonie was created during Quebec/Kébèk's expo '67. Inspired by the concept of hell by Refus global de Borduas, L'Infonie was a concrete manifestation of total acceptance. In the beginning they created a parallel world with a commercial culture, an aesthetic approach diving in all kinds of forms of expression, in a revitalizing happening mad creation.
A book with 333 3/3 pages and 33 illustrations was the curriculum vitae (birth, evolution, ending) of l'Infonie, something that would characterise Kébèk from 1969 until 1973. With 33 artists, all lucid dreamers, L'Infonie became a polyvalent spectacle with paintings, sculptures, theatre, poetry, and music (popular, concrete, electronic and contemporary, folk and free jazz). The first book was followed by 6 others, 8 discs, a dozen of films, painting expositions, 5 theatre pieces.Walter retlaW uaerdouB Boudreau was the musical motor of l'Infonie, Claude Edualk Ts-Nyamreg St-Germain was the delirious teller, and Raôul luôaR yauguD Duguay was the verbal motor. Together they formed a creative basic trinity.Vol.33 Mantra is based upon Riley's in C, with Raôul Duguay, trumpet. It should have been perfect for my show in many ways. "In C" is like a kind of mantra in favour of life and its manifestation. Still inspired by the '67 expo, where new ways of living were considered (meditation, drugs, macrobiotic cooking,..) this meant another modification of our perceptions within the time limitation of a music piece. "In C" has the advantage of being able to be repeated to express that all in all manifestation ("touttt é to bouttt" / everything is in everything). Musically it was inspired by La Monte Young's "House of Dreams", performed by musicians like Terry Riley, Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Bob Ashley, John Cage, Karlheinz Stockhausen ("Mantra" & "Stimmung"). With Pandit Pran Nath from Tibet La Monte Young and Terry Riley sang the "Ôm" pulsation, expressed trough "in C" in 53 motives. Express everything or "Express toutt" becomes the life impulse of a kind of locomotive of life calling "toutt-toutt-toutt", followed by 53 wagons. All motves, languages are reassembled and dissembled by one another, as a symbol of the eternal change, an omega of evolution. The goal through this piece was to get to that ever changing evolution pulse, transforming into a hymn to life. Life and its creation are celebrated through the forming of each cell and atom.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 06:44
All great options but I voted for Bjorn, I love balanced Rock and Classical crossovers Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 09:11
A masterpiece, my friend. A masterpiece.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 15:52
The only one I knew was Bjorn but I voted for Nef.
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 16:03
I won' t say that I'm very surprised Wink 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 04:39

Holocausto - Aleluya (Puerto Rico, 1974, Discos Roka)

This Christian-themed underground Latin American rarity is an interesting blend of progressive, psychedelic, hard rock/proto metal and latin rock styles.  Heavy riffing, organ/keys, flute/sax and impassioned vocals battle it out over a set of relatively concise but atmospheric and thoughtfully constructed tracks, where the undeniably cool "aura" of the whole thing helps to make up for the somewhat primitive execution. Great cover art as well (both front and back). However, the sound here could really use a good cleaning up, as it's hard to even hear some of the more interesting instrumental details at times. It seems the band themselves were working on doing just that a few years back, but I'm not sure if this is still an ongoing effort. Lets hope so, because this one is definitely worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=803HPmuQtc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_BWInrVR4

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:14
Never heard of nef and Holocausto before, but I am very intriguedBig smile I am most definitely digging what I'm hearing. 
Now while I also dig L'Infonie's Vol 33 it is no match for one of the greatest albums ever to come out of Scandinavia. Björn it is, but I gather you already knew thatLOL
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:23
Bjorn J:Son Lindh!!! I wish I see more love to him in PA...
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:26
Yes LOL My choice too. 

Afficher limage dorigine
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:30

Björn J:son Lindh : SISSEL. Another excellent album ... and easier to find.

Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODhvh1A9gtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJdHFKGhtSE

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 15:14

Strange electronic duo from France that released only this LP privately in 1983.Hints of Neu!,La Dusseldorf but with the unique French style.

Tracklist

Le Miroir Sur Le Dos(10:43)
A1aÇa Commence Comme Ça3:28
A1bÀ Chaque Bout7:15
A2Il Y En A Qui Profitent Du Voyage4:38
A3Les Portes5:17
B1Apparition À L'endroit3:55
B2Fanfare De La Mer2:29
B3Propos D'épouvantail8:48
B4Le Baromètre De L'oncle Adrien2:00

Companies, etc.

Credits

Notes

Recorded Summer 83 Studio Bruit Rose. 

℗ 1983 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYzniqwWUNY

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 09:19
Afficher limage dorigine

01. Musik från en storstad (21:48)
02. Tom Bohla 1971 (1:20)
03. Grytnäs sväller (1:40)
04. Biezlov (1:47)
05. Den dansande Wollmar (5:04)
06. I grodspadet (3:25)
07. Stäng locket - hon fryser (3:46)
08. Tom Bohla 1972 (1:13)

Liner notes by Lars Magnus Janson

To represent Swedish Radio in the international radio broadcast of the 1971 Prix Jean-Antoine Triumph Variete, a radio man, an actor and a musician were invited to depict reality through music.

The result was a large city. Based on authentic audio recordings of daily urban sounds in Stockholm, improvising musicians presented a vision of the modern metropolis. Cars, sirens, pile drivers, church bells mix into an inferno of music. From the treacherous calm of a city morning, these sounds eventually rise up to smother those sounds nature calls her own. This is a highly personal image of an environment to which millions of people are forced to adapt daily.

This personal image is signed Björn J:son Lindh.

Björn J:son Lindh, 27, has one of the most significant profiles in the modern Swedish music scene. His compositions and arrangements have contributed (among other achievements) to the success of Cornelis Vreeswijk's double LP Poems, ballads and a little blues. Lindh can also take a great deal of credit for the attention given to Bernt Staf's debut. Together with Hawkey Franzen, Lindh wrote and produced the LP View from Djupvik, and he has been one of the central figures in the celebrated group Jason's Fleece.

In the late Summer of 1971, Lindh (a flute soloist) released his debut solo album. Rarely has a pop-jazz record received as much acclaim as Ramadam.

Besides a large number of record productions, Lindh has also written music for TV and stage. He studied flute formally at the Royal Swedish Academy of Music, and is also trained as a pianist.

In addition to "Music from a Big City", which received Second Prize in the 1971 Triumph Variete in Monte Carlo (and which occupies one side of this LP), this album shows Björn J:son Lindh further testing his composition and performance skills. "From Big City to Frog Sauce" is proof of how strongly a seriously trained musician and composer with a strong dramatic personality can handle modern pop music, whilst creating work that shows music a way forward in the 1970's.

Björn J:son Lindh: conductor, piano, organ, Moog and flute.
Jan Bandel, Ola Brunkert & Rune Carlsson: drums.
Palle Danielsson & Bengt Linnarsson: bass.
Kenny Håkansson, Anders Nordh & Jan Schaffer: guitar.
Mats Hagström: cello. 
Lucas Lindholm: electric bass.
Hawkey Franzen: guitar, accordion.
Kenny Håkansson & Rune Gustafsson: electric guitar.
Nisse Sandström: tenor saxophone.
Jörgen Johansson and Torqny Nilsson: trombone.
Bertil Lövgren & Beinth Gustavsson: trumpet.
Lars-Erik Rönn: oboe.
Bengt Olsson & Bengt Sundberg: horn.
Karin Stig Mark, Göran Lagerberg, Anders Nordh & Hawkey Franzen: vocalsSwedish Radio Symphony Orchestra String Section.
 Post Reply Post Reply