Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Highest ranked Top Album completely unknown to you
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHighest ranked Top Album completely unknown to you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 18:34
Never heard Fragile (7) in full; I'm not that into Yes and thought knowing the songs on Yessongs will be enough of that album.
Only heard some two minutes of Hemispheres (20; not big on Rush either).
Not heard anything of Si On Avait Besoin... Harmonium (25) for no reason.

Ah well, the reason's not that it's not English... but still, to answer the question, the next one, A Farewell to Kings, no. 26, never heard anything and don't miss it.

Edited by Lewian - November 25 2015 at 18:38
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 18:55
Full: Silent Corner (36)
One Song: K.A. (60)
Don't Have: Unquestionable Presence (126)
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 18:58
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Hand Cannot Erase-Steven Wilson
Rock Bottom-Robert Wyatt
Zarathustra-Museo Rosenbach
Time Control-Hiromi Uehara
Space Shanty-Khan
Part the Second-Maudlin of the Well
Uzed-Univers Zero
Anabelas-Bubu
Symbolic-Death
Memento Z Banalnym Tryptykiem-SBB
Choirs of the Eye-Kayo Dot

Those are the ones I haven't listened to, most of those ranked between 90-100.
Cannot recommend these highly enough. Absolutely outstanding.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 19:17
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Hand Cannot Erase-Steven Wilson
Rock Bottom-Robert Wyatt
Zarathustra-Museo Rosenbach
Time Control-Hiromi Uehara
Space Shanty-Khan
Part the Second-Maudlin of the Well
Uzed-Univers Zero
Anabelas-Bubu
Symbolic-Death
Memento Z Banalnym Tryptykiem-SBB
Choirs of the Eye-Kayo Dot

Those are the ones I haven't listened to, most of those ranked between 90-100.
Cannot recommend these highly enough. Absolutely outstanding.

Hey- I agree with you 100%, but Zarathustra is a freaking classic, Khan is also awesome, and Symbolic by Death is one of the best technical metal albums ever (if you dont count that written in waters also came out that year and was even MORE ahead of its time than anything chuck ever did)
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 19:19
29- Miles Davis is the highest ranked one I haven't heard all of. About 8 or 9 in the list of 28 above that I heard only once on Youtube and determined it not to be worth another listen. I've heard a LOT of albums only once.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 19:44
Fragile would be the first one that I've heard nothing from. There are several in the top 100 I haven't heard yet but have a good enough idea of what they're like and they're mostly from acts I have no interest in exploring further.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 01:50
Looking at the top 40, the only albums I have not heard are Still Life (Opeth), Silent Corner... (Peter Hammill), Si on Avait... (Harmonium), and any of the bands from the Italian scene.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 05:18
As a relative newbie with a fairly narrow spectrum it would be much quicker for me to list the music I have heard.

Anyway, in order to more fully embrace the prog genre and find out what the fuss is about in terms of the classics, I ordered Close to the Edge and Selling England by the Pound a few months ago, as, believe it or not, I had never (knowingly) heard any of either.  From the reviews, it seemed I had nothing to lose.  However...

I listened to SEBtP first, and was immediately impressed.  It was clearly brilliant, and First of FIfth has become one of my favourite prog tracks.  I intend to get hold of some more early Genesis at some point.

Buoyed by this, I was looking forward to trying out the #1 rated album on the whole site - but boy, was I disappointed!  My first impressions, even beyond the first 3 minutes which include some of the worst music I have ever heard, was that the album was mostly uninspired self-indulgent twaddle.  Had it not been for that fact that CTTE is considered seminal I would not have bothered listening to it all, but I had to be missing something, so I pressed on and reluctantly listened to it again.

I have to admit it has improved after 3 listens, but I still cant' say I enjoy it.  THe first 3 minutes are at best misguided, at worst unlistenable musical w**kery.  The rest of the title track has its decent moments, but still plenty of dead time.  It doesn't help that I prefer a more modern bass tone (I am a bassist) and Squire's tone is about the worst I can imagine.  The second track (can't even remember the title) has mostly passed me by without retaining anything - I just don't find it memorable or inspired.  I felt nothing.

I'm quite expecting to be chased physically from this site at such heresy, but I am just being honest.  It wasn't as if I was prejudiced either - in fact I was fully expecting to love it. Perhaps my expectations have actually hindered my ability to enjoy it properly.  Maybe I'll come back later with my tail between my legs admitting it's actually quite good, but right now it gets 2 stars.

Anyway, back on topic - I can say with some certainty that I have never heard any of #2 Thick as a Brick!

Edited by Rosscoe - November 26 2015 at 05:32
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 10:32
44. Dream Theater - Images And Words
No intrest whatsoever.
Besides, that thick album at number 2 by some Dull band which i cud never get through.
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 10:51
I've never heard any of Thick As A Brick, and I tried listening to ITCOTCK once but it wasn't my cup of tea so I never heard all of it.

Until recently I would have put Selling England By the Pound as the one I hadn't heard in its entirety, but then someone recommended I listen to it so I found it on YouTube and I was quite impressed.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 10:56
Originally posted by Rosscoe Rosscoe wrote:

As a relative newbie with a fairly narrow spectrum it would be much quicker for me to list the music I have heard.

Anyway, in order to more fully embrace the prog genre and find out what the fuss is about in terms of the classics, I ordered Close to the Edge and Selling England by the Pound a few months ago, as, believe it or not, I had never (knowingly) heard any of either.  From the reviews, it seemed I had nothing to lose.  However...

I listened to SEBtP first, and was immediately impressed.  It was clearly brilliant, and First of FIfth has become one of my favourite prog tracks.  I intend to get hold of some more early Genesis at some point.

Buoyed by this, I was looking forward to trying out the #1 rated album on the whole site - but boy, was I disappointed!  My first impressions, even beyond the first 3 minutes which include some of the worst music I have ever heard, was that the album was mostly uninspired self-indulgent twaddle.  Had it not been for that fact that CTTE is considered seminal I would not have bothered listening to it all, but I had to be missing something, so I pressed on and reluctantly listened to it again.

I have to admit it has improved after 3 listens, but I still cant' say I enjoy it.  THe first 3 minutes are at best misguided, at worst unlistenable musical w**kery.  The rest of the title track has its decent moments, but still plenty of dead time.  It doesn't help that I prefer a more modern bass tone (I am a bassist) and Squire's tone is about the worst I can imagine.  The second track (can't even remember the title) has mostly passed me by without retaining anything - I just don't find it memorable or inspired.  I felt nothing.

I'm quite expecting to be chased physically from this site at such heresy, but I am just being honest.  It wasn't as if I was prejudiced either - in fact I was fully expecting to love it. Perhaps my expectations have actually hindered my ability to enjoy it properly.  Maybe I'll come back later with my tail between my legs admitting it's actually quite good, but right now it gets 2 stars.

Anyway, back on topic - I can say with some certainty that I have never heard any of #2 Thick as a Brick!

I wud suggest that you keep that gem aside at this moment. Go through the reviews of top albums from ur preferred genres and chose to listen to only those albums which compliment your present taste..sometimes it cud be a particular reviewer who might guide ur journey for some time..and then the next one.. See where it goes from there..come back to CttE after maybe a year or so and see if you can enjoy..great! if u do..but no worries if u can't. U can always come back later or maybe just avoid it.
So many gems out there, not all of us can enjoy every single one. No wonder 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' is still an enigma to many of us here.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:03
^Agreed.
The best way of finding your kind of prog is to find a reviewer that mirrors your tastes and furthermore is able to challenge them in a positive way. 
Key thing to remember: not all prog reveals it's beauty on the first date. Some times you need to have patience with music. 
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^Agreed.
Key thing to remember: not all prog reveals it's beauty on the first date. Some times you need to have patience with music. 

Especially Van Der Graff Generator and Gentle Giant.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 17:15
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I never heard anything from #36 Peter Hammill - "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage".

This one. On both counts I think.

Yep. I've never heard it and I never want to. Hamill's voice has the same effect on me as fingernails scraping down a blackboard.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 19:34
Highest ranked album never heard in full: Harmonium - blah blah blah

Highest ranked album never heard at all: Anglagard - Villains Orgy
Magma America Great Make Again
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 19:53
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Highest ranked album never heard in full: Harmonium - blah blah blah

bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 22:16
Hybris by Anglagard is the highest ranked album I haven't finished, and Per Un Amico by PFM is the highest ranked album I've heard little to nothing from. I really need to listen to more Italian prog.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 07:29
Nro 28 Steven Wilson: Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Never heard.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 07:31
Originally posted by akaBona akaBona wrote:

Nro 28 Steven Wilson: Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Never heard.

Clap  sure you aren't missing anything LOL

#28? of what... steven wilson/PT/collaboration albums...  don't tell me that is all albums.  I'll puke in my mouth if you say it is so.  You all are nuts...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 08:17
^ It's probably not even his 28th best Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>