Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
    Posted: November 25 2015 at 12:43

I will make a case for it

Whether it is a case for Freudian psychoanalysis or a “slight” critique to Darwin’s Origin of Speices

I will make it a case for a view i have obtained, from analyzing it through Freudian analytical Methods (which are used to analyze 1800s gothic novels, on the subliminal messages, and the uncanny nature of gothic literature, sexual undercurrents and stuff like that.

To me it feels like what is often ignored, and often overlooked, is the climate of 1800s and what books of science was released then not only Freud’s theory on psychoanalysis, but also Darwin’s Origins of Species. To me i can definitely see the connection of how the mind works and how it was thought to work might have influenced works of fiction, in the contemporary time as Stevenson wrote SCoDJaMH, as it is a very psychological book, very much scenery is about the uncanny, the unexpected, the surprises, the sublime nature, of psychology and its alien force. Contemporary (or earlier) to that time, Darwin delivered the power-slam, with hes Origin of Species, which created a debacle.

I believe Stevenson as a early student of law (or medicine ) (unsure about this) might have secretly (not publicly) shared Darwin’s view, also as an avid sailor and Explorer, he might even have a sympathy to how Darwin obtained his theories, ( I just imagine and thinking’s it influenced the personality of Henry Jekyll. he wants to create a potion that opens up that animal within him, he transforms into a more apelike appearance, something uncanny, something violent and almost supernatural. It is contemporary to the notion of time and critique of Darwin’s Exploration, is Jekyll the voice of society or the voice of Darwin, in the sense of the temperature surrounding the topic in 1850s and onwards.

I believe this is a overlooked side of the book. I might be way of in my assessment, but i felt this was a case when i read it, might be a tiny insignificant case, but to me it felt sound enough. Like a tiny chime of something to loom up with my invisible binoculars.

I find I theme I would call, The animal from within, as a theme to the story, and how we all has that animalistic nature, inside, us as something not of divine heritage, but of earthly and wild nature.

“This was the first time that an involuntary metamorphosis had happened in waking hours. Far from the chemicals in his laboratory and now hunted by the police as a murderer, Hyde needed help to avoid being caught. He wrote to Lanyon (in Jekyll's hand), asking his friend to retrieve the contents of a cabinet in his laboratory and to meet him at midnight at Lanyon's home in Cavendish Square. In Lanyon's presence, Hyde mixed the chemicals, drank the draught, and transformed back into Jekyll. The shock of the sight, for which Lanyon condemned Jekyll and declared the two former friends irredeemably estranged, instigated Lanyon's deterioration and death”.  (Quote from wiki)

This is the strongest scene in the book imo, the share moment of uncanny sensation of the transformation that takes place.

Edited by Icarium - November 25 2015 at 12:55
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 17:16
I got the book for a present when I was about ten. Loved it ever since.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 17:19
that and Henry James Turn of the Screw had a segnificant effect on my soul
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 17:36
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Well, I wasn't effected that deeply. But it's a very good book. Which movie version do you prefer? I liked the Spencer Tracy/Ingrid Bergman take.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 17:37
There's a GTR song called Jekyll and Hyde.  So you can move this thread to prog-related.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 23:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Well, I wasn't effected that deeply. But it's a very good book. Which movie version do you prefer? I liked the Spencer Tracy/Ingrid Bergman take.
ii nknow yet, i saw an addaption whitch showed it more like psychiatric disise, i think it was god, i also saw an early version once from the 1910s
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 00:07
Much magic around the Victorian era.   I attend a Dickens Fair every December and get my fill of Old London atmosphere; Roads lined with soot, pubs, haberdashers, tea rooms, and the lovely smell of roasted nuts filling the air.   One of my favorite periods.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 00:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Much magic around the Victorian era...One of my favorite periods.

oh, definitely. Child labor, debtors' prisons, transportation to Australia, cholera epidemics and all that kind of fun stuff.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 00:11
Yep, all that stuff.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 00:42
In high school, my friend had it assigned to him, and I stole it and read in a day. It was a good decision.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 00:47
did you discover any Darwinian influence innit as i try to make a case for

Edited by Icarium - November 26 2015 at 00:48
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:04
Decent book....some decent film versions....not sure about the Darwinian aspect since I'm not sure what Icarium is driving at.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 13:17
at an iceburg
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 13:20
becouse Jackyll tries too both supress hes 'animalistic" urges but the stein and medication has the wrong effect/oppesite effect and yet Jekyll als relishes about the wild natur of Hyde an hes animalistic ruthlessness al dubbed as wild evil.
 Post Reply Post Reply