Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGood documentaries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good documentaries?
    Posted: November 25 2015 at 15:34
The other day i watched The Story of Anvil documentary which i thoroughly enjoyed despite the fact the story of Anvil being a tale of woes. Can you recommend any good Prog Rock documentaries?

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 15:42
All three of the Romantic Warriors series are excellent, they focus on:-
The current North American scene
The RIO/Avant history & current bands
Canterbury

All highly recommended
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 03:32
Beyond The Lighted Stage. A beautiful Rush documentary.
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 06:23
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

All three of the Romantic Warriors series are excellent, they focus on:-
The current North American scene
The RIO/Avant history & current bands
Canterbury

All highly recommended

Clap

and the best two are yet to come from Jose and Adele!

RPI and Krautrock!!
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 06:28
oh yeah. Speaking of RPI.  Be sure to check out (little) Ian's radio show Sunday.  Dedicated to RPI and cohosted by the one only Raff.

if you haven't heard her voice...  oh baby... I've told her she needs to work one of those 1-900 lines.  She could read you the phonebook and get you off hahahha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 11:05
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

oh yeah. Speaking of RPI.  Be sure to check out (little) Ian's radio show Sunday.  Dedicated to RPI and cohosted by the one only Raff.

if you haven't heard her voice...  oh baby... I've told her she needs to work one of those 1-900 lines.  She could read you the phonebook and get you off hahahha

I was wondering about your signature. At last, your current avatar explains it all. There's something to be said for orange.

Edited by HackettFan - November 28 2015 at 11:06
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 12:17
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I was wondering about your signature. At last, your current avatar explains it all. There's something to be said for orange.

Clap

GO POKES!!! We'll likely lose, we do most years especially when it matters, but it makes the occasional victory all the sweeter. My first overturned and burned car was in Stillwater in '95. First time we had beat those f**kers since '76. It made Roman orgies look tame.. god Stillwater burned and god knows how many children were conceived that evening LOL
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 15:35

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Clap

GO POKES!!! We'll likely lose, we do most years especially when it matters, but it makes the occasional victory all the sweeter. My first overturned and burned car was in Stillwater in '95. First time we had beat those f**kers since '76. It made Roman orgies look tame.. god Stillwater burned and god knows how many children were conceived that evening LOL

Small world.

I work on campus right next to the stadium. We'll see if the Pokes can play in slush tonight.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 15:38
wow man.  Yeah.. love what they did with the new stadium.  I used to live right across from it, 215 N. Knoblock but it looks like they tore the place down when they redid that area for the stadium renovation.  Oh man the good times I had there.

Is the Stonewall Tavern still there?  I used to work there as a bouncer and bartender.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 16:10
hahahha

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 16:22
Ok this is not really a documentary but it's an interview, a really funny one, it's only 7min long too LOL
Parkinson Billy Connolly Tom Cruise part1

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 17:51
Yup, the Stonewall is still there. But your old place is now the indoor practice facility. You wouldn't recognize the north side of Hall of Fame.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 18:02
Pink Floyd - The Story of Wish You Were Here 2012 legendado PT-BR
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 23:59
The documentary, Under African Skies, is about the making of Paul Simon's album Graceland. It is really really good and there is more to it than just the making of the album.

Beware of Mr.Baker
is a documentary about Ginger Baker, and is fun to watch this curmudgeon of a man talk about how badass he is.

Another really good one I enjoyed is Classic Albums: Steely Dan - Aja. Just some A+ musicians making great music.

All of the above are not really prog but still worth a mention. But here is a obscure one that I watched and really enjoyed. David Bedford - Song of the White Horse. Youtube video description, "David Bedford's 1978 score The Song of the White Horse was commissioned for a BBC television documentary. The work charts a journey along an ancient Berkshire footpath between a stone-age burial mound and the famous White Horse of Uffington, celebrating King Alfred's victory over the Danes at the Battle of Englefield in the 9th century (using words by G.K. Chesterton). Set for small ensemble and a children's choir, it famously climaxes with the choir reaching stratospherically high notes by inhaling Helium gas."

Mike Ratledge makes an appearance around the 13:30 mark.

Edited by zachfive - November 29 2015 at 00:04
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 07:08
Not prog, but one of the best rockumentaries I've seen: Dig!, featuring the Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre:

Edited by Mascodagama - November 29 2015 at 07:10
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2015 at 08:39
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

Yup, the Stonewall is still there. But your old place is now the indoor practice facility. You wouldn't recognize the north side of Hall of Fame.

Thumbs Up  I haven't been back since the late 90's.  I'm sure I wouldn't recognize it.  I sure do miss the place though. I really liked Stillwater and hell.. that whole region. It waas a bit of culture shock when I first moved there but I grew to really love it there.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 16:23
When Pop Went Epic: the Crazy World of the Concept Album, presented by Rick Wakeman on BBC 4 (shown on 8th May 2016, but probably still available on iplayer and suchlike). I am not sure who wrote the script, but it was produced and directed by Marc Edwards. What I liked about this programme was that it considered the origins of the concept album and looked further than seventies progressive rock. Nor did it get bogged down in the differences or simiarities between concepts, musicals and rock operas.

Curiously, Wakeman's own efforts, like performing King Arthur on ice, were derided, when the music underneath all the showmanship was really very good. Wakeman did not have much good to say about Topographic Oceans, on which he played, yet it was a traditional Yes album with a number of strengths. Critics who say it could have been edited down to a single disc are probably right though.

Interviewees included Roger Dean on how his art fitted with the music, Aubrey Powell on similar matters regarding Floyd and Genesis, Tony Asher on his lyrics for Pet sounds, and Laura Marling on why she always made her albums as concept albums.

Credit was given to Pete Townshend's Tommy for influencing the musical theatre of Rice and Webber as well as subsequent rock albums, and rightly so!
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:24
BBC Prog Rock Britannia is one of my favorites.
All of Romantic Warriors (especially Canterbury) are also highly recommended!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:25
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Not prog, but one of the best rockumentaries I've seen: Dig!, featuring the Dandy Warhols and Brian Jonestown Massacre:

Best. Documentary. Ever.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
mushimusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 11:49
Can't remember the name of the documentary, but there's one about Joy Division that I thought was very interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>