Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVegetarians/Vegans Celebrating Thanksgiving

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Do you eat turkey on Thanksgiving?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegetarians/Vegans Celebrating Thanksgiving
    Posted: November 26 2015 at 10:26
If you are a US or Canadian vegan or vegetarian do you eat the main course at your Thanksgiving dinner?  Gobble gobble.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 11:27
Yep...turkey and probably some ham too.
No vegetarians in our family though my granddaughter (14) recently said she wants to try it for 'health' reasons.
I'm betting that lasts a few weeks or months until she caves in.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 12:15
I eat very little meat generally, but a great big turkey covered with bacon is currently roasting in my oven.  The stuffing has both sausage and pancetta in it. I will probably eat more meat in the next two days than I normally eat in any given three month period. 

Can't wait.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 18:53
^BACON??? That sounds very interesting.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2015 at 19:20
That does sound interesting...but bacon goes good with just about anything.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 06:34
bacon?  urrgggg..

I love bacon on a burger man. but turkey???

so how was it??????

Now Raff made something that got hit right out of the park. A eastern themed sweet potato casserole, with sh*t like peanut butter, thai red curry paste, and coconut milk.  WOW!  Normally as a confirmed carnivore I tear into the main course (lamb here.. not turkey) but I went straight at those sweet potatos.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 06:45
Bacon is often used to wrap lean meats, to impart flavour and moisture. In Italy we occasionally use pancetta (which is not smoked) for the same purpose.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 06:49
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Bacon is often used to wrap lean meats, to impart flavour and moisture. In Italy we occasionally use pancetta (which is not smoked) for the same purpose.

if you say so oh queen prog chef...  I thought that perhaps Terri had fallen under the spell of the evil pork industry and trying to push bacon not just from your burger but to your turkey..LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 07:26
Quote I just threw up a little in my mouth

That is the most disgusting experience for the mouth there is probably, and the taste stays there for about 10 hours.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 08:04
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

That is the most disgusting experience for the mouth there is probably, and the taste stays there for about 10 hours.
thats how birds feed their yong Geek
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 08:06
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

LOL sorry man.. I can think of a few other things
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 08:48
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^BACON??? That sounds very interesting.

The bacon keeps the turkey moist.  Here is my time-tested turkey recipe, and I guarantee you if you ever try it you will forget - forever - brining, basting and all that other nonsense people tell you to do with turkey.  This, quite simply, produces the best turkey ever, every single time.

Take a turkey.  For the sake of both the turkey and your taste-buds, buy a free-range one.  The timings are for a 15 pound turkey.  Buy two packs of fairly fatty bacon.  Now's the time to get the cheap stuff.  Wash and dry the turkey, place it in a deep pan. Give it a bacon coat.  That's right, layer the bacon all over the turkey. Don't forget the legs and wings. Cover the entire turkey, bacon and all, with aluminum foil.  Wrap it around the whole pan.  Put the turkey in the oven at 400 degrees.  Set the timer for 45 minutes and walk away.  At the end of 45 minutes, come back and turn the oven down to 350.  Walk away again for another 2 hours.  At the end of two hours, come back and take off the foil. At this point, there will be lots and lots of drippings in the bottom of the pan.  Take out about 1-2 cups worth and set aside to separate for the gravy. Return the turkey to oven for another 45 minutes.  Then take it out and remove the bacon. It will be gorgeously crunchy by this time, and the turkey will smell so good you will be starving.  Eat the bacon, and reward any guests that have arrived early with their share of the crunchy bacon.

Baste the turkey if you want to, but it's not really necessary - most people do it at this point because basting turkey is kind of an automatic reflex. Turn the oven up to 375 and leave the turkey in for another 30 minutes.  At this point, it will not only be done, but will look exactly like the turkey in every advertisement you have ever seen - brown and very impressive.  Your guests will ooh and aah.

Set aside, covered first in foil and then in lots of heavy towels, for 30 minutes while you cook the stuffing, make the gravy and mash the potatoes. Then carve.

I am willing to give a money-back guarantee that you will never use any other method.  Even if you wanted to try something else out, your family would go on strike and demand this recipe back.  The third best thing about it - after the taste and the bacon - is that it works every single time, and if you will note, without advance prep, basting or paying any attention at all.  Just buy a timer, bacon and foil and your turkey will be perfect, every time.

You're welcome.

If anyone is interested in my pancetta, challah bread and sausage stuffing, I will be glad to share.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 08:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

if you say so oh queen prog chef...  I thought that perhaps Terri had fallen under the spell of the evil pork industry and trying to push bacon not just from your burger but to your turkey..LOL

I rarely eat bacon, because I do gets fits of conscience over the way pigs are kept.  But Thanksgiving is different.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 08:59
yeah...  I did a job in a slaughterhouse in N.C. once. Urgg.   Not quite enough to turn me off completely (still love my BBQ bacon burgers) but still... They don't pay the illegals/undocumented enough, then again, that is why they are there. A better life for them and the country itself benefits.

What the idiot right and Trump doesn't understand.  You can't pay joe six pack enough for that kind of work. Want to see pork prices shoot through the roof.. deport those that do the dirty work this country relies on and most simply don't want to touch unless you want to pay your animal butchers 20 an hour with a corresponding substantial increase in food costs. Urggg...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 11:48
I am not a vegan or a vegetarian. But I live east of the pool, where Thanksgiving is not celebrated, so no vote.

Just want to say that veggie equals cold turkey for me. So what's the difference? Tongue
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 15:30
I actually did make it 3 months once as a vegetarian... not for health reasons I get my kicks out of abusing my body... not for sentimental reasons.. but more for spiritual.  But like all things.. my ex-wife ruined it.  She didn't dig my vegetarian turn and since I was held hostage to her cooking since I can't boil a pot of water without burning it.. she fed me canned vegetables until I finally gave in.

I don't exaggerate man.. that woman WAS the spawn of Satan.

Edited by micky - November 27 2015 at 15:31
 Post Reply Post Reply