FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVinyl release

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vinyl release
    Posted: November 27 2015 at 04:15
Hi folks - Dave from Brotherhood of the Machine here. 

Contingent on demand, we're thinking of releasing a limited edition 12" vinyl record - this will be a limited run of 100 copies. This will NOT be released in any other format. Ever. 

The cost will be 20 GBP / 30 USD, pre order. When we receive 50 orders, payment is taken and the albums are printed and sent out - this covers costs, just ! We'd throw in VIP membership to our site as well, which means you get all our prior releases. That normally costs 20 GBP alone. 

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/music
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8721

As a question. How many people here would sign up for a pre-order ? All done via Bandcamp. 

Cheers
Dave

Edited by Davesax1965 - November 27 2015 at 04:31

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 04:20
^ Tempting, of course
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 04:32
"Tempting" is not much use, Tom. ;-)

"Definite yes or no". ;-)

No is OK, that clears the air. If we can get this done, we will be doing regular vinyl releases. If not, there y'go !

The other option is to bring in a second tier to membership of £40 a year, which includes a vinyl release, but we'd rather not do that. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - November 27 2015 at 04:38

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 04:47
165 views so far, no positive responses. ;-) Actually, just checked, not even one play on the Bandcamp website. 

So, complete back catalogue, future vinyl release - £20, no (even potential) takers.

I think we have an answer already ! Smile

Edited by Davesax1965 - November 27 2015 at 08:07

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2015 at 11:10
234 views.... no, forget it. Risk a grand ? No chance. ;-)

Amazing, though, this would be "no money up front" and you'd actually get three albums, two EP's, loads of singles AND a vinyl release for £20, and that'd fund more vinyl releases as well. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 07:06
Wow. 648 views.

Not one play I can detect on Bandcamp as a result of this thread. 

There are a lot of other entries from new prog rock bands here with an equally low amount of replies. 

Depressing, isn't it ? ;-)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 14:01
Just a thought...post this on our Vinyl thread.....might get more responses/feedback. I will take a listen to the music as I am not familiar with it. But if Tom likes it, good bet I will too.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 07:27
Well, thanks for the suggestion, but - after 965+ views, I think I've come to a conclusion here ! I can't see the point in putting it on the vinyl thread as probably everyone who reads that reads "releases" as well. And it's not like there are another 50 members on Prog Archives who'd read the Vinyl thread and sign up for a release. 

So, nope, not going to happen. ;-)

This might give more astute readers a clue what it's like for musicians trying to get on in a niche genre. I think our next release is going to be more "progressive electronic trance" than "prog rock", to be honest. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 03 2015 at 07:32

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 07:59
Maybe there's not as much demand for vinyl as people think? Personally I haven't played any for years.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 08:12
I should think you're probably right, Chopper. Especially in a nice musical genre where a lot of listeners... have a few more years under their belts. 

Vinyl sells quite well for some musical genres where it's seen to be hip and metrosexual. Hm. Let's see. 50. Bald. Goatee beard. Not me, then. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 10:18
1029 views. :-)

Either Progarchives has a lot of web spiders, or....... ;-)

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 11:26
Small runs of vinyl sell very well, as usually they are by niche bands/groups, eclectic type music very specific. Doom/goth/dark/death metal sells very good in vinyl and they issue a lot of special runs of vinyl like colored, splatter, translucent, very neat stuff for sure. Not my cup of tea musically but the issues are very eye appealing.

Davesax, some of your albums have been reviewed by Meltdowner (Sam) who is a big contributor to the Vinyl thread...I bet he would be interested in your idea of vinyl.....but since you choose not to post it there, I guess he won't know.

There are many, many threads on PA I never click on.....I bet most members stick to 3-4 threads regularly. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 12:01
^ I saw this thread, but I told him once I would prefer CD, it's a genre I generally prefer on CD over vinyl.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 12:13
It's not music I listen to, I took a listen on Bandcamp yesterday. You know me...vinyl or nothing LOL
timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 14:58
I did have a listen, Dave.
Sorry, it's not something I would normally listen too. I like the sax on Meditation of the Blue Serpent though.

I've seen your other posts on the difficulty of making anything at all out of music, and I do sympathise. I thought the idea might have been good to get people involved up front, but obviously it's not easy to get people to sign up.

To tell the truth though, I don't want vinyl these days. I've actually been listening to a lot of vinyl lately, but mainly connected with my "project" to digitise them all so I can get rid of them all. They take up too much room (according to my wife, at least). I only buy downloads now, I've got past the need for a physical copy. Sad but true...

In any case, I'm not impressed with the quality - even with a good turntable and a new cartridge. Probably most of what I bought was the cheap stuff, back when I was a student, but it's quite crackly even after cleaning carefully (I bought a Knosti cleaning machine specially for the project.

It's been quite an adventure though, rediscovering ELP after at least 20 years. I'm up to G now, just completed Gabriel
With a bit of luck I can spin the project out another year and keep my collection a while longer
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 15:33
Originally posted by timbo timbo wrote:

I did have a listen, Dave.
Sorry, it's not something I would normally listen too. I like the sax on Meditation of the Blue Serpent though.

I've seen your other posts on the difficulty of making anything at all out of music, and I do sympathise. I thought the idea might have been good to get people involved up front, but obviously it's not easy to get people to sign up.

To tell the truth though, I don't want vinyl these days. I've actually been listening to a lot of vinyl lately, but mainly connected with my "project" to digitise them all so I can get rid of them all. They take up too much room (according to my wife, at least). I only buy downloads now, I've got past the need for a physical copy. Sad but true...

In any case, I'm not impressed with the quality - even with a good turntable and a new cartridge. Probably most of what I bought was the cheap stuff, back when I was a student, but it's quite crackly even after cleaning carefully (I bought a Knosti cleaning machine specially for the project.

It's been quite an adventure though, rediscovering ELP after at least 20 years. I'm up to G now, just completed Gabriel
With a bit of luck I can spin the project out another year and keep my collection a while longer

I'll take the vinyl, don't throw it out!! Cry

All my vinyl is very close to digital quiet, unless I buy a used copy and the owner did not take care of it, then it is noisy...but that is ok in most cases. For rock based music it really does not matter....I have always said if I was a classical music lover I would be 100% digital and probably all hi-resolution DSD quality.

Although I have yet to attend any live music event and only heard music Wink 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 03:20
Thanks for the replies, folks. Project canned, of course. ;-)
A CD release would require a larger amount of people to sign up. I'm in sales and marketing, and my experience of these things is that people say "yes" and then don't buy. 

Generally, the tactic then should be to assess whether or not the fundamental idea is sound, and it ain't. Our stuff is a subgenre of a subgenre, vinyl is popular with some forms of music, but this isn't one of them. 

The answer is, very simply, "play different music." ;-)

timbo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 09:37
No, the answer is play what music you think is good, and that you enjoy playing.

Just don't expect to make money from it. Even in the 70s, that was like winning the lottery. Now it's harder still.

Do it for yourself.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:27
Format means nothing to me when I think of good music.....All a format does is give me choices on how to enjoy the music. Sure some formats are more engaging than others, vinyl being the main one.....But if all we are talking about is music then does not matter. Look at how many people listen to music on youtube at very low bit rates, terrible sound quality, but they listen.

I always understood a CD release is about as cheap as you can get...I mean those silver discs cost what $1.00ea?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 10:50
$1 each is for something in a card wallet which has produced in massive volumes. 

The card wallet price here for a low run CD - 100 units - is £238. / $363. 
Then add on shipping costs. 
Then add on profit. If you're not doing this for $0. 

And I don't think I'd like to sign up for a cheaply printed CD in a rotten card wallet. ;-)

So, to get economies of scale, you have to shift 500 - 1000 to get your fans a decent price. 

That ain't going to happen here with a pre-order. :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>