Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo what's up with Buckethead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what's up with Buckethead?
    Posted: November 28 2015 at 22:33
I have just seen for a while now that there's been lot's of new reviews of this artist, Buckethead. To my surprise, at some moments I could se 3 or 4 different albums being reviewed recently, and I noticed that they were all from this year, which would be strange for an artist to have so many new albums in one year... but then I check out his page in PA, and he's released more than a hundred albums in the year. I mean, how is that possible? How could anyone keep a minimum of quality on his output releasing such a colosal amount of music. To be perfectley fair, I haven't heard anything from him, nor would I know were to start with such an amount of albums... just because of the numbers I'm intimidated, and I feel it would be too much effort to try and look for anything good he may have. So, mainly, do you think that even releasing so many albums in a year, an artist can maitain an acceptable quality of music? Have you known of anyone else doing such a crazy thing?
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 23:02
I like several of his songs, but I have no interest in listening to him more given he releases a few albums per week. I can't think of anyone that comes close to that. Zappa did release very often albums, and personally they did have a lot of filler on many occasions, but it still was nowhere near Buckethead.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 23:07
I like how he released an album a day as a countdown to Halloween.LOL

Who the hell does that? Buckethead, that's who.
Magma America Great Make Again
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 23:33
I listen to a lot of Buckethead. Here's the thing, I listen to it while I'm in the shop tinkering on computers and such and I find it holds true what Brain Eno said about ambient music, "It has to be as ignorbale as it is interesting.". What I mean by that is there are times where I am so concentrated in what I'm doing that the music blends together into one big song and kinda fades into the background; but there are other times where I can't continue doing anything cause I'm in awe of whats being played. Many a times I have relisted to albums because I knew the first listen I was not paying it the attention it deserves. I think now I am on Pike 55 and just use YT played through my media center which has a decent sound setup.He has devolped a sound for sure, and some people criticize his albums sound to similar, but I find there are always fresh moments that keep me looking forward to when I have free time to tinker. Before I start anything in the shop, I make sure I gots me some Buckethead a playin.

Edit : Also I really enjoyed C2B3, Praxis, and Cornbugs

Edited by zachfive - November 28 2015 at 23:41
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 11:52
I got my first album back in 2005 and even then he had an enormous discography if you count all the albums he appeared on even though the solo discography was only up to 16 albums that year.  But yeah the amount he puts out is insane. 
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 14:21
The Buckethead albums I like best are Giant Robot and Chicken Noodles 2 (a duo album with keyboardist Travis Dickerson on Fender Rhodes), and the Praxis albums with B'head, Bill Laswell, Brain and Bernie Worrell. Kaleidoscalp and Thanatopsis are good, too.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 15:28
I have read, with some fascination, but without ever really being tempted to listen to any of them, Mr Silly Puppy's reviews of the hundreds of "Pike" albums released by Mr KFC Head.

An incredible output. But are they any good?

I listened to an interview with David Gilmour today, in which he said he continually wrote down and recorded ditties that came into his head. When he comes to making an album of music, he said that the vast majority of these notes and songs were discarded, as not being worth very much. Those that were good, of course, formed the basis of the work of art that followed.

It strikes me that Chicken Meal Deal Bucket Bonce simply records, and releases, every single thought that comes into his head immediately, which does not strike me as being the best quality control in the recording world.

As an ignorant of his work, is my impression a fair one?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 15:38
^ Seems fair to me, but I am also ignorant of his work.

An oddity to say the least, he seems to be good technically on the guitar.  I have one of his albums (but can't remember the name of it at the moment...LOL), it has some moments here and there.  But I cannot give much of an opinion based on one album, and not really looking for others at the moment.

Wonder what started the KFC bucket on the head gimmick?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 15:45
^ He got the idea for his mask first, from one of the Halloween movies. He bought the mask, and happened to also get a bucket of KFC. That night, once he finished the chicken, he happened to put on the bucket after he put on the mask, and when he looked in the mirror he knew that's how he wanted to present himself to the music world.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 15:51
^Crazy!  Hope it was after KFC stopped using trans fat oil LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 16:00
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^Crazy!  Hope it was after KFC stopped using trans fat oil LOL

The mind doth truly boggle!!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 16:14
It's definitely gone over the top since he was doing an album a day, but they're all pretty consistent given the circumstances. There is a little bit of experimentation in each record, but not as much as his earlier stuff, and the song writing isn't technically as good. Still he hits upon some really nice stuff almost by accident (30 Days to Halloween: Blurmwood, being his most recent that I know of). I guess it's just about how important quality is over quantity, but to answer your question, I prefer to listen to his records more than a huge number of artists that spend longer on their music. 

If you want to know somewhere to start with, it depends what you want to hear from him. "Colma" is probably his highest-acclaimed, but it falls flat a lot for me. "Population Override" is a nice take on jazz fusion, and "Electric Tears" for some ambient guitar music. "Look Up There"'s my favourite at the moment, and has some seriously smooth and intimate jams.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 17:25
This is a decent album. Dragons of Eden is good too.

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 17:45
A very good guitarist who has over-saturated webdom with practice releases. And that whole "buckethead" thing is as old as listening to a 90s Korn album.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 18:49
BTW my favorites are:
Arcana - Arc Of The Testimony
Hellborg + Buckethead + Shrieve - Octave Of The Holy Innocents
Les Claypool's Bucket Of Bernie Brains
Self titled albums -
Giant Robot, Colma, Monsters And Robots, Bucketheadland 2, Electric Tears, Bermuda Triangle, population override.  The one from his slew of downloadable albums I have tried is Listen for the Whisper, and it's good.  But after going on a binge of sorts in 2005 I had to back off. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 01 2015 at 18:50
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2015 at 21:19
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I have read, with some fascination, but without ever really being tempted to listen to any of them, Mr Silly Puppy's reviews of the hundreds of "Pike" albums released by Mr KFC Head.

An incredible output. But are they any good?

I listened to an interview with David Gilmour today, in which he said he continually wrote down and recorded ditties that came into his head. When he comes to making an album of music, he said that the vast majority of these notes and songs were discarded, as not being worth very much. Those that were good, of course, formed the basis of the work of art that followed.

It strikes me that Chicken Meal Deal Bucket Bonce simply records, and releases, every single thought that comes into his head immediately, which does not strike me as being the best quality control in the recording world.

As an ignorant of his work, is my impression a fair one?

That's exactly my impression, without knowing anything from him, and that's why I wanted to know what other people might think about him. I feel he should release a sort of "best of" album from each years releases, just for those who are interested in knowing his music, but don't want to buy over a hundred albums in one year (or even just listen to them) trying to find the moments that are worth listening... of course, he may be too busy releasing albums as for taking the time to choose his best songs of the year.
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 00:10
I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but to both Dellinger and lazland - why are we scoffing someone for being creative? He is creating music, and if he wants to record and release it why should it deserve your disrespect? I am not telling you not have an opinion on the man, by all means that is your right; but to me, mocking someone for doing something that you deem is not of quality, well I do not agree with that. Especially when neither has listened to any of his music, only read about his extensive discography. Also, one could argue he is being very progressive, for who in recorded music history has put out that many records in that span of a time? Doing sh*t nobody has currently done in rock is what progrock is about. Whether you have or have not listened to his music, he should at the very least be commended for his commitment, no matter how much "quality" he puts in.

I do realize you were interested in, and were reaching out to find more about this aberrant individual, and I may be taking this too seriously, so sorry to call you guys out on what may be a non issue. I'm not even a Buckethead fanboy by any means....

Edited by zachfive - December 02 2015 at 00:11
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 06:25
Yeah, I admire the guy for his creativity. His stuff is diverse and as such hit-or-miss but the stuff that 'hits' is great IMO.
Magma America Great Make Again
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 09:27
His dedication is admirable.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2015 at 22:05
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but to both Dellinger and lazland - why are we scoffing someone for being creative? He is creating music, and if he wants to record and release it why should it deserve your disrespect? I am not telling you not have an opinion on the man, by all means that is your right; but to me, mocking someone for doing something that you deem is not of quality, well I do not agree with that. Especially when neither has listened to any of his music, only read about his extensive discography. Also, one could argue he is being very progressive, for who in recorded music history has put out that many records in that span of a time? Doing sh*t nobody has currently done in rock is what progrock is about. Whether you have or have not listened to his music, he should at the very least be commended for his commitment, no matter how much "quality" he puts in.

I do realize you were interested in, and were reaching out to find more about this aberrant individual, and I may be taking this too seriously, so sorry to call you guys out on what may be a non issue. I'm not even a Buckethead fanboy by any means....

I'm not bashing him, I'm only discussing... or more like "talking", given my mostly ignorance of the artist. I never said he was bad... that would be totally inacurate not having heard him. It's just that I find it difficult to believe he could release much quality with that kind of amount of albums released... I would think it's actually impossible. Surely there is something of quality among so much music relased, but I don't think I would be willing to dedicate so much time listening to his music in order to find those wortwhile pieces. And if all his over 100 albums were really great... well perhaps even then I would be at a loss... imagine to consider buying 100 album in a year from just one artist just because it's all great, that would be some serious buck and time to spend on only one artist. That's why I thought it would be great if he would release a best of year 2015.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>