Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo what's up with Buckethead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 01:02
Well this word quality you are throwing around so much, it is subjective, which means you determine what is and is not of quality as to your own standards. One would have to listen to his music in order to determine this though. I had stated in my earlier post that I listen to his music through Youtube, not my preferred way of listening to music but I'm right there with you in that I don't have the money to spend on every release. For suggestions as to where to start, after reading about him, I thought I started with the Pike series, which currently in its 215th installment. Pike 1 is his 31st studio album, and so before I started the Pike journey I listened to his debut album, Bucketheadland, his 9th album, Electric Tears, 10th album, Buckheadland 2, and finally his 15th album Kaleidoscalp. Those albums I determined, by review research, to be good places to start. I am only on pike 50 something, as I do not listen to him on a daily/weekly basis, more occasionally but in big chunks. I have never not been able to find a Pike album on YT... I suggested to a friend of mine that he type in youtube; Buckethead Pike -insert random number-
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 06:53
For the curious, here's three different sounding Pikes:

Sometimes I listen to some Pikes on Youtube as background music when I'm cleaning, getting ready for work, etc.

Magma America Great Make Again
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2015 at 23:21
I guess i should get in on this one since i am the puppy in the coal mine who volunteered to check out his albums and reviewing them. Am i mad you ask? Well, yes but that's a different matter altogether. I'm also on the Errors & Omissions teams at MMA our sister site and was asked by the admins if i would spruce up the Buckethead page since i posted a few reviews and no one else was as familiar with his works. Well, i sorted out all 200 plus albums on the page so they are all laid out all prettily in order and then i found that just tagging everything non-metal was insufficient. 

Thanks zravkapt here who posted one of countdown to Halloween Pikes, i checked it out in the forum and actually loved it. Hmmm. I was a big Buckethead fan until about 2007 when i just kinda lost interest and moved on to other things and that's about when he started to go nuts releasing more and more albums every year.

Yadda yadda. Long story short, i have scoured the internet and there is no info on what type of music each release is for most anyway and no reviews for most of the Pikes, so i decided the only way to find out is to listen and to my surprise some of them are actually pretty good.

Yes there is a consistency issue. Some are awful and some are brilliant but BH has certainly kept me interested enough to continue this endless journey! I'm reviewing all these so everyone can read about them and only check out the ones that sound interesting. Not too many i'll be checking out again but this is a good list just for my own self reference. I mean this is an encyclopedia of music now!

Dellinger, if iit blows your mind that this guy is releasing this much keep in mind he always has only it usually has been with other groups and collaborations. This guy is clearly a musical genius and it's true that he seems to  record everything taht he can think of, but when you are this gifted then a lot of that spontaneous stuff is pretty freekin good. Keep in mind that someone like Mozart who only had a short life produced an equivalent of about 180 CDs worth of music in his short adult life. Some of these guys simply think in music and can create things spontaneously in their heads. A unique talent but one that is apparantly real

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 06:54
I checked out a few ones yesterday (all 2014/15). I tried some that should be fairly different from each other from descriptions I read (siLLy puPPy and comments on youtube), but my personal impression was not one of inconsistency. True some are more some are less experimental, some faster and some slower, some noisy some calm, but for me they all had a fairly similar feel to it, a musical stream of consciousness of which it doesn't surprise me one bit that this is all the same person. This is how moods change and music can express it. The whole approach what kind of thing this guy thinks makes a "song", the guitar playing and how it contributed to express different emotions, the use of rhythm and licks etc. seems pretty recognizable to me. Perhaps not recognizable enough to achieve 100% in an "is this Buckethead or not" quiz, but enough to give me the feeling that it's the same person, the shape my impression of his personality, but also to think at a certain point that it's all "more of the same" even when I go to a pike that is supposedly very different.

When I started to make my own music at the age of 15 or so I was very fast but bad. I have big appreciation for Buckethead for how good this stuff is given that often he does 30 minutes in a single day. I'd be mightily proud of myself had I been able to do 30 minutes of this quality in a day. On the other hand, the lack of elaboration of the compositions seems fairly obvious to me at any moment. OK, in my fairly random exploration (although I went into a few that got 4 stars by siLLy on purpose) I may have missed things that are different but still. I haven't come across parts/songs where I clearly felt that I want to listen to this again. (Probably I should peek into his earlier stuff when he took more time.)

I just saw that siLLy has come up with a one star review today. This was probably the first oen, but I'm not sure. I wonder whether this pike is really particularly bad or whether siLLy just gets bored more easily the more of this he does. We'll see.

Obviously having listened to Buckethead now on only two days in my entire life, I can't claim that my opinion is very qualified, not only may I have missed great stuff, also the stuff I listened to may grow if I'd give it more time. Still, my listening gave me a pretty solid feeling of what to expect, that I can occasionally have fun listening to some of this, I respect it for the productivity and for being an original thing to do and credit goes to him for doing it first, but also that I don't expect anything from this guy that can really draw me in, at least not in this 2014/15 phase; of course he may change direction at some point and he apparently has done this before.

Edited by Lewian - December 04 2015 at 06:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 08:32
Lewian, I'm trying to be explicit in my reviews all the whys. I have given a few 1 stars for pikes. The reason is usually that it is nothing new and yes boring. Compare albums I gave 4 stars to those I gave one. I've now listened to close to 70 pikes and my standards get higher as I proceed. Everything is played well but in my subjective opinion I just don't find all of equal quality. Same with other artists with large outputs like zappa.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 09:25
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Lewian, I'm trying to be explicit in my reviews all the whys. I have given a few 1 stars for pikes. The reason is usually that it is nothing new and yes boring. Compare albums I gave 4 stars to those I gave one. I've now listened to close to 70 pikes and my standards get higher as I proceed. Everything is played well but in my subjective opinion I just don't find all of equal quality. Same with other artists with large outputs like zappa.

Yes, I admire your reviews, you make them very informative which is quite an achievement given how many you write in short time (I can see a connection there), and I agree that the pikes are not all the same quality. Musical taste and even perception is of course subjective but still to me the impression of consistency (although perhaps not at the most obvious level) trumps diversity in what I have heard.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2015 at 19:56
Well like him or not you can only respect an artist who can pump it out faster than we can listen to it! Even the ones i hate are performed and recorded well. I assume he releases everything for financial reasons. He sells the first copies signed for like $35 and the downloads are like $2 so i know there are loyal fans lapping all this up! I'm sure he couldn't care less what us proggers and reviewers think but i really wanted to just let the world know what to expect since it is an understatement to say that his discography is friggin' overwhelming Wacko
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 05:24
what's up with Buckethead? Well, the only real answer is...

"Buckethead's this guy who was raised by chickens in a chicken coup. And without the bucket on his head, he's helpless"

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 08:19
No matter how he's doing it... I find it quite impressive. It can take me 12-15 hours to record a solid 4 minutes of music that I'm proud of.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2015 at 09:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12